Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the club accept Bennett's request?

Should the club accept Bennett's transfer request?

• Total voters

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
No, absolutely not, for the pathetic fee of £1,000,000/£1,500,000 it would be utterly foolish with four years still to run on his contract, that figure needs to be at least doubled for it to be a consideration.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Of course it should but with the proviso that he can only go to a club who meets our valuation. It's not as though he's out of contract soon and thus we would expect a fee that is probably a lot more than some teams would want to pay. Given his role with the team and our promotion hopes and given the extra revenue we'd get in the Championship a fee of £2 Million is not unreasonable.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why? Explain your logic please.

Sorry - I've now extended my post so it makes a bit more sense. Perhaps I should have said 'if the manage thinks Bennett staying on would be detrimental to the team morale...'

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
plus we have a f***ing 25% sell on clause to give back - so whatever the fee would be we only get 75% of it - bollox.

no f***ing way - this could be a defining point in the season and i am royaling f***ing PISSED he's decided to spring this up now.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
No, we should not accept it. He signed a contract thats just a few months old. He can do better than Norwich in the long term. If he gets stroppy (I don't believe he would) then bench him.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I can't see the point of signing for a club we could well be playing next season - and finishing above !
I think it's time for death threats and armed hoodies waiting outside his gate.
If it's good enough for Rooney, it's good enough for whatsisname.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Depends entirely on whether Gus reckons he can get EB to concentrate for the rest of the season if he's not allowed to go.

Yep. Don't know enough of the details to be able to say. Not sure if Bennett would sulk for the rest of the season, or if he would carry on as if nothing happened.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yes. No point in keeping an unhappy player who could potentially upset the entire squad and/or even disrupt others who may have glanced elsewhere from time to time (I'm thinking Murray in particular) and bring squad morale down. Also, being clearly unhappy enough to request a move, the player will likely appear unmotivated or disinterested for the remainder of the season, when he would inevitably leave in the summer anyway. Sadly, we all knows contracts are worthless nowadays and if a player wants a move they'll always get it.

So, we can either force him to stay, get substandard performances and drop him to the reserves where he'll languish until the summer OR we sell him now and make as much as we can for him (I'm thinking £750k + clauses will be the maximum we'd receive) and focus our energies in the loan market - even if loan fees are involved.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
bennett's really not done himself any favours here. he's put the club in a difficult position, there's a strong possibility the club would turn down the request (with good reason) and he goes from poster boy to villain in a matter of days. and at the end of the season, when the club might be more prepared to let him go, he's got six months of poor performnace behind him because his head hasn't been with the albion.

if he'd just waited a few months til the end of this campaign, he could make a much more considered, educated and fruitful decision.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yes. No point in keeping an unhappy player who could potentially upset the entire squad and/or even disrupt others who may have glanced elsewhere from time to time (I'm thinking Murray in particular) and bring squad morale down. Also, being clearly unhappy enough to request a move, the player will likely appear unmotivated or disinterested for the remainder of the season, when he would inevitably leave in the summer anyway.

Sorry but that is cock. He is not a player who has not been getting games or who has fallen out with the manager. He is a player who has been tapped up. If we tell him he can't move until the Summer, he will play his socks off in order to attract the highest bidders. He is not a stupid man - if his request is rejected, he'll get on with it because being the top player in a side that gets promoted will add value to him as a player.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yeah , turn it down.

If he handed in transfer request when they first offered maybe but this has stitched us up so f*** him

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Gus and Bloom have always said they will not keep an unhappy player so all depends on Bennett. Is he really unhappy or has his agent being twisting his ear to get a pay day?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Has he handed in a request ?

No player is bigger than the club,but bearing in mind the length of his contract and possible sell on clauses,the deal,if it comes,should be that financially stable Brighton should CLEAR £2m,so the buying club should cough up for any "sell on" clauses on the player.

So if it's the rumoured £1.5 take it or leave it,let's opt for the latter and see if the player wants to sulk or play.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
as I said earlier, the way Gus reacted to Calderon may be an indication as to how he reacts to Bennett's request, ie if he goes off on one, then Bennett will be gone, but if he is concillatory(sp?) then maybe he has a mind to tell whoever it is to f*** RIGHT OFF YOU INBRED TWATS

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
No. Bennett comes over as a sensible lad. If Norwich want him - they will still want him in the summer. Play well for us - and see how the land lies in the summer. He does not seem the kind to throw his toys out.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Are you serious? People are very blinkered when it comes to our own.

Looking rationally and objectively, Elliott Bennett is a very good player at this level - but he is essentially an unproven player. He has played a season and a half in the fourth division and nearly two seasons in the third division. He is easily having his best season so far and is improving. If we paid £200k (the banded around figure) for him, £750k upfront would be a decent return under the circumstances (the player being unhappy and having requested a move - tapped up or not) PLUS almost certainly bonuses and clauses will be included (sell on fees, performance fees, a fee if promoted with them) etc would take take the fees in total to well over a million - possibly double that. To think we'll get £1.5/2m upfront is madness, it really is.

Tony and the gang will be sitting down with Bennett's agent and Norwich to thrash it all out very soon I'm sure.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He must stay until the summer at least. I really believe, with everything he's got in him footballing armoury, we should be looking at £2 plus for him and a substantial sell-on clause. (Oxlade Chamberlain at £8m - go figure).

We are under no pressure to sell. He is under a long contract. And actually, that gives the power to us.

It's a shame he doesn't want too see the job through and especially galling after he has stated how much he loves the club and the area in the past. He's let us and his team mates down.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
No
Time for the club to flex its new found muscles. Norwich are not a top eight PL side, and should not be treated like they are. Bloom & Gus need to tell EB's agent to get back in his box until the end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here