Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should teams like Andorra be in the World Cup?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If a nation doesn't have 11 professional footballers they shouldn't be in.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't understand your point Spanish.

Horsham got to the 2nd Round of the FA Cup and played Swansea in Horsham and were unlucky to lose. They got there by winning a few preliminary rounds and, arguably, by coming through those rounds they were more focused and united than they would have been had they met them in their very first match in the competition.

All of this is a good thing. Had Horsham drawn Man Utd in the very first round the game would probably have been played at Selhurst and Man Utd would have won 6 or 7-NIL.

Look how Ireland have progressed as a cricket side by playing against their peers, then being allowed into the bigger competitions after they've honed their game.

In the meantime they were still playing league games that could arguably have dulled their focus. Playing a much better team can be prepared for but does not necessarily make you either better or worse.

Andorra gear themselves up for damage limitation every game. In fact I was quite impressed with some of their left/right back defending considering the pressures and their ability. If they were playing 'peers' they would not have that gameplan.

Taking cricket as an example, look how many people poo poo-ed Sri Lanka's elevation to test status. All looks a bit silly those objections now. I know Andorra itself is a different kettle of fish and will never compete properly but the point remains.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Let's have the Falklands in the World Cup! Should be able to muster a team from 1800(?) residents!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
By these small nations playing in the qualifiers it lets them have a chance to play at big stadiums like Wembley which can only be a good thing

:)

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
In principle, I agree with the idea of pre-qualifiers but the problem is finding time for these pre-qualifiers to be played.

The preliminary draw for the World Cup was held on 25th November 2007 and the first games in Europe were played on 6th September 2008. If you remember, there was a meeting on 14th January 2008 to sort out the fixtures and dates.

My question is: when would these pre-qualifiers actually take place?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In principle, I agree with the idea of pre-qualifiers but the problem is finding time for these pre-qualifiers to be played.

The preliminary draw for the World Cup was held on 25th November 2007 and the first games in Europe were played on 6th September 2008. If you remember, there was a meeting on 14th January 2008 to sort out the fixtures and dates.

The prequalifiers should be for the two year period prior to proper qualification. In other words, when the top clubs are competing in the qualifying for Euro championship, the minnows are doing their pre-qualifying thing for the next world cup. For example, the minnows will, by November, have completed their prequalifying for Euro 2012 so that the winners of the qualifying groups go into the main qualifying tournament that starts in October next year. The rest of the minnows would commence their pre-qualifying for the 2014 in October next year.

Looks more complicated each time I read it back but I am sure you get the gist.

MC Smiler

Jun 12, 2009

As i mentioned before, they could play it in the summer when the big tournament is on. So in June 2010 when the world cup is on, they will play the prequlifiers for 2012 Euros, with the 2 winners taking part in the real qulaifiers start in September.

I know that the groups and fixtures will have been decided before then, but when the draw for the Euro 2012 qualifying groups takes place in Jan 2010, you would simply have 2 blank places drawn for Pre Qualifying Group A Winners and Group B winners from their 2 mini leagues, with the blanks being filled in end of June by the 2 pre qualifying group winners. Remember only 2 out of 9 groups will have one of these late entries, and which ever team it ends of being is almost irrelevant as the other 4 teams will be expecting to pick up 6 points from them!

Then is June 2012 when the Euros are on, they would play the pre qualifiers, with the winners again ready to start the World cup 2014 qualifiers in the september.

As these nations will never play in a major tournament, winning their own pre qualifying league gives them a taste of glory at least!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here