Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should teams like Andorra be in the World Cup?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
When would these pre-qualification games actually be played? Would there be a number of mini-leagues?

Any country incapable of staging international football on their own soil should not be competing at that level. This means Luxemboug, Malta and the Faroes should, and another reason is that these three are big enough to have their own national leagues. The Faroes in particular often provide competitive opposition.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
When would these pre-qualification games actually be played? Would there be a number of mini-leagues?

Think that is a problem....the football schedule is so full now, im not sure there would be time to play all these pre qualification games.
MAybe its just time to totally re evaluate the qualifiying for the World Cup....sadly with people like Sepp Blatter in charge, finances are the be all..and end all !..which means wanting more and more countries participating .
Sometimes ....LESS IS MORE !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Who cares ?
Its not like any of their players are involved in proper European competition.They've not even got professional leagues, so a World Cup pre-qualifier event would be something worthwhile for them to compete in, and would weed out a shedload of the WASTERS that clog up these PROPER qualifying groups year in, year out.

I'm not saying exclude them completely, but come on. A line has to be drawn here.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm going to sit on the fence with this one.

On the one hand...games as witnessed tonight are a complete waste of time really.

On the other hand...it's only fair that every nation capable of fielding a national team should be given the same right to qualify for major competition finals as everybody else, regardless of whether they have a cat in hells chance of progressing or not.

....On second thoughts, it's late and that game was shite tonight, so let's just kick all the useless minnow time wasters out now...f*** 'em I say !

On the other hand...it's only fair that every nation capable of fielding a national team should be given the same right to qualify for major competition finals as everybody else, regardless of whether they have a cat in hells chance of progressing or not.

So, the Vatican City State should be able to field a team? Maybe with Hiney as manager!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, the Vatican City State should be able to field a team? Maybe with Hiney as manager!

If they can raise a team and want to join in the fun, then I don't see why not ;)

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Vatican City have played only one full international game against Monaco in 2002 and a friendly game against San Marino, both ending in a 0-0 draw.

In 2006 the Vatican City played a match against a Swiss club team, SV Vollmond on a small field just outside of the Vatican; Vatican City prevailed 5-1.

The Vatican City squad consists of the Swiss Guards (voluntary military force drawn from male Swiss citizens), members of the Papal council and museum guards (Italian citizens). Since only members of the Swiss Guard can get the citizenship of the Vatican and they cannot be amassed in large numbers for a long time, the national team can play only a few rare international matches often drawing a fair amount of interested press.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So would you pay £30+ for a ticket to watch England vs Vatican City State at Wembley, in a World Cup qualifier ?

I'd gladly pay more than that in fact, and furthermore, I'd dig deep when the collection plate does the rounds at half time too ;)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Vatican City have played only one full international game against Monaco in 2002 and a friendly game against San Marino, both ending in a 0-0 draw.

In 2006 the Vatican City played a match against a Swiss club team, SV Vollmond on a small field just outside of the Vatican; Vatican City prevailed 5-1.

The Vatican City squad consists of the Swiss Guards (voluntary military force drawn from male Swiss citizens), members of the Papal council and museum guards (Italian citizens). Since only members of the Swiss Guard can get the citizenship of the Vatican and they cannot be amassed in large numbers for a long time, the national team can play only a few rare international matches often drawing a fair amount of interested press.

Now that surprises me, I'd have thought that they would have the biggest stadium in the world, after all....catholic churches ? :rolleyes:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, of course they should. They have every right to be.

Did anyone notice they have a Striker called Andorra. :lolol:

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
Of course they should!

Its a WORLD cup qualifier so EVERY nation in the world that can raise a team is entitled to their right to try and qualify for a competition the are allowed to play in!

Its just this is the way that the european qualifiers are organised.

You're honestly telling me that if you were born in San Marino and could play football well enough to play for their national side, you'd say 'no we must pre-qualify for our right to play at wembley'? BULL!

World cup for every nation in the world.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Of course they should!

Its a WORLD cup qualifier so EVERY nation in the world that can raise a team is entitled to their right to try and qualify for a competition the are allowed to play in!

Its just this is the way that the european qualifiers are organised.

You're honestly telling me that if you were born in San Marino and could play football well enough to play for their national side, you'd say 'no we must pre-qualify for our right to play at wembley'? BULL!

World cup for every nation in the world.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Playing at Wembley is something every football fan and player dreams of, and if you're good enough to play for your country (whoever that may be) you should have the chance to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here