Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should number of tacklers be limited?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just watching the Liverpool/Everton game and two defenders shut out one of the Everton players and then another Everton player waved his arms and screamed at the ref as if he was expecting a free kick. I didn't see anything wrong with the challenges, and neither did the ref, but it got me thinking...

Often times two players will work together to dispossess one opponent. Quite often these challenges are messy and because it's three people trying to fit into two people's space, one person, usually the one with the ball is left laying, which leads to calls for free kicks, but because of all the legs involved it's hard to tell when there's a foul and when there isn't.

Sometimes free kicks are given that shouldn't be, and sometimes they are not given when they should.

Plus, two people can work together to dispossess an opponent, but can two people work together to make sure one person survives a tackle? I can't see how.

So a 2 on 1 situation can only benefit those challenging the person with the ball, so it is an inherently unfair situation.

So, should there be a rule that says only one play may tackle an opponent at a time? (I'm not just looking for yes/no answers, I'd appreciate reasons)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Tackling can only be defined as getting your foot on the ball, and it's very rare that two defenders manage this at exactly the same time.

But it's also very rare that two defenders go in for a tackle and give away a free kick.

Are you agreeing with the idea?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If two players are trying to get the player with the ball then presumably there must be a player unmarked to whom the player with the ball can pass?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No, otherwise we'll be seeing the 2 defenders leaving it for the other to make the tackle -

"I made the last one, it's your turn"
"no, you made such a good job of it you can carry on"
"but I'm knackered"
"but I'm not really a defender"
"neither am I"
"cup of tea?"
"sounds like a good idea"
"guess which tart I saw JT out with"

Hang on, we do that already.

Stupid idea.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
So a 2 on 1 situation can only benefit those challenging the person with the ball, so it is an inherently unfair situation.

reasons)

Why should a team that is organised enough to have two defenders committed to the tackle be penalised

It would also be a nightmare to both write a rule and also to enforce

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, otherwise we'll be seeing the 2 defenders leaving it for the other to make the tackle -

"I made the last one, it's your turn"
"no, you made such a good job of it you can carry on"
"but I'm knackered"
"but I'm not really a defender"
"neither am I"
"cup of tea?"
"sounds like a good idea"
"guess which tart I saw JT out with"

Hang on, we do that already.

Stupid idea.

That can happen without the law. Currently not every run attracts two challengers, they sometimes attract only one tackle, so why isn't there this confusion? Because players are professional and communicate with each other.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why should a team that is organised enough to have two defenders committed to the tackle be penalised

But it isn't about organisation. A team on the attack can be equally organised. The two men may be tackling together because of lack of organisation.

Also, to answer another point, there may be a man spare to be passed to, but he may not be in space, the pass to him may be blocked off by one of the defenders attempting to tackle.

It would also be a nightmare to both write a rule and also to enforce

That hasn't led to eliminating the offside law...

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Maybe, so why do 2 defenders still make tackles at the same time when only 1 will do?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe, so why do 2 defenders still make tackles at the same time when only 1 will do?

Because it's often easier for two people to dispossess one player than it is for one. They sandwich him out, two people out muscling one.

They do it, because it tips the odds in their favour for a successful challenge while also reducing the risk of conceding a freekick.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let's leave the rules alone eh? xxx

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Because it's often easier for two people to dispossess one player than it is for one. They sandwich him out, two people out muscling one.

They do it, because it tips the odds in their favour for a successful challenge while also reducing the risk of conceding a freekick.

So why outlaw it? If it's a fair challenge, it's a fair challenge.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So why outlaw it?

Because it's unfair. Because, as notters points out, you can only tackle someone if you take the ball. Two defenders can't both take the ball, so what is the other doing? He is giving an unfair advantage to his team mate.

If Murray is baring down on goal and, say, john terry and rio ferdinand both close him down and squeeze him out how can he balance it out? If forster joins him in the challenge that's then four pairs of legs making it harder for Murray to retain possession. There's no way a team mate can join in that moment of play and not make things more difficult for his Murray. Conversely, more defenders trying to get the ball off murray will help.

Because it makes it harder for the ref to spot fouls. If only one player can win the ball, the other is making a challenge in which he can't win the ball and can only interfere, can only impede the opponent. Which is illegal, but these challenges are rarely ever called up, despite this logic that one defender must be breaking the laws of the game.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Because it's unfair. Because, as notters points out, you can only tackle someone if you take the ball. Two defenders can't both take the ball, so what is the other doing? He is giving an unfair advantage to his team mate.

If Murray is baring down on goal and, say, john terry and rio ferdinand both close him down and squeeze him out how can he balance it out? If forster joins him in the challenge that's then four pairs of legs making it harder for Murray to retain possession. There's no way a team mate can join in that moment of play and not make things more difficult for his Murray. Conversely, more defenders trying to get the ball off murray will help.

Because it makes it harder for the ref to spot fouls. If only one player can win the ball, the other is making a challenge in which he can't win the ball and can only interfere, can only impede the opponent. Which is illegal, but these challenges are rarely ever called up, despite this logic that one defender must be breaking the laws of the game.

Well, the other team can then do the same, can't they? Swings and roundabouts.

BTW, why are Terry and Ferdinand in the same team? Do you know something?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, the other team can then do the same, can't they? Swings and roundabouts.

BTW, why are Terry and Ferdinand in the same team? Do you know something?

We're playing england in a friendly in my example.

But the swings and roundabouts can be applied to anything. Why not make it legal for defenders to block certain goals with their hands, because their opponents can do it too? Get rid of the offside rule because both teams can leave someone in their opponents box, swings and roundabouts...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

utter rubbish. have you watched much football? if two players are closing on a player with the ball that leaves a space behind (or elsewhere) to exploit. should the player with the ball beat the on coming defenders or pass to another player, the defense is now at a disadvantage as they are out of position. so rather than being inherently unfair, its a somewhat risky tactic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here