NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If we do go everyone’s heads and hearts will be reduced to atoms floating around in radioactive soup.

If Russia maintain their nuclear arsenal as well as they maintain their armoured vehicles, Putin would press the button and probably blow the Kremlin up.

Which would be nice

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think people are forgetting that just like over here, the majority of the population support their leaders. Absolutely no chance the Russians will turn on him, more likely to be the opposite.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As would Putin be, he’s greedy and aggressive, not mad.

Depends how you define mad

He's old school USSR, so brain washed from birth

The break up of the block must have seemed like your parents splitting up, both remarrying and spoiling respective children while he/you got nothing. . . He's bitter, with a whole chip shop on his shoulders . . . He's managed to create his own empire and is a frightening threat.

Universal sanctions and hopefully the Russian middle classes turn on him is the best bet IMO.

WWIII is not a viable option. . I do think he would press the button . . . . So yes I do think he is a bit mad

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
We will have to make the decision sooner or later, it will not end with Ukraine. I feel at that point could we not have let them die. This is similar to Hungary.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What is wrong with you? Putin is a madman who is acting irrationally. He has proven he doesn't give a shit about human life or misery, firstly supporting Assad in Syria and now this illegal war in Ukraine that has included firing missiles at a nuclear power plant and bombing a Jewish cemetary.

If ever there was a world leader in the last 50 years who is capable of pushing the nuclear button it is Putin. He's even describing sanctions as an act of war when, clearly, it is a reactive measure to his aggression. He needs only the flimsiest of reasons as a pretext to start WW3 and taking out their convoy would be the start of that war.

What’s wrong with me ? The rest of your post is reasonable but I am not taking that first sentence. I am saying the same as President Zelensky. All you seem to care about is your own safety. Lovely.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
[MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] I agree that sanctions and Russians turning on him would be ideal, but what I’ve seen from inside Russia suggests it’s incredibly unlikely.

Putin has taken great care (especially over the last decade) to appear ‘unpredictable’ and ‘impossible to read’ when dealing with the West. This gives him an enormous advantage when dealing with more rational actors, and is why Putin and Trump are absolutely bedfellows. Trump loves the contrarian view, it’s where he thrives.

We must not allow ourselves to swallow his hype. Doing so gives him incredible psychological power over us. There is nothing in Putin’s actions that is not calculated. He’s a hideous human being, but he’s not erratic or insane, he’s doing what he believes is the best for Russia, and is perfectly willing to use our (very rational) fear of nuclear war against us to achieve his goals.

He does what he is doing to strengthen and grow Russia. If we were bombing Moscow he could feel threatened enough to reach for the button, but he isn’t going to destroy Russia and the rest of the world to keep Ukraine.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
What’s wrong with me ? The rest of your post is reasonable but I am not taking that first sentence. I am saying the same as President Zelensky. All you seem to care about is your own safety. Lovely.

Bollocks.

All I care about is the safety of civilisation, despite it's myriad faults. Personal safety is a bonus.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Felt I had to vote yes, despite really hating war. I am not sure what should be done, but I think we have to do more to stop this psychopath from erasing Ukraine and its people.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
One question: Do you believe that Putin is bluffing?

Yes and if we dont double bluff he will continue bluffing. If he is capable of pushing the button then he will do it in the future if not now so we may as well test his resolve now is the outcome will be the same. He is a bully and a coward he just needs standing up to

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
You hate war but are willing to risk WW3?

We haven’t stopped the war by sitting on our hands. It’s happening, right now. We’re already involved.

If the argument is “we shouldn’t intervene because Russia has nuclear weapons” then that argument will remain intact whether he’s rolling across Ukraine, Poland or England.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes and if we dont double bluff he will continue bluffing. If he is capable of pushing the button then he will do it in the future if not now so we may as well test his resolve now is the outcome will be the same. He is a bully and a coward he just needs standing up to

Jeez...this isn't Grange Hill bully stuff.

Fine if you believe he's bluffing (which I clearly don't), but what happens if you're wrong?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am now starting to think we should call Putin’s bluff…risky I accept but he is not going to stop whilst we keep backing off

Drink talking…but I don’t believe he wants to die, which he will…the **** is now shelling more civilians

Bet you’re glad I am not PM :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here