Votes: 66 21.0%
  • No way

Votes: 248 79.0%

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There are more than 12,000 nuclear warheads in this world. It would just take 100 of them to extinguish life on Earth.

Those who didn't die in the blasts would starve or freeze to death in the ensuing nuclear winter which would drop temperatures below freezing in almost all areas of the world for decades. No plants or crops would grow.

And if, somehow, you survived that, you would most likely die of cancer caused by the radiation.
There is no safe place. Anywhere.

Also, there was a recent report that showed that if a bomb the size of either of those that fell on Nagasaki and Hiroshima was to fall on the UK, the NHS would collapse within a couple of days.
Those bombs were 15 kilotons each. Modern, far more destructive, thermonuclear bombs are typically 1,000 kilotons. Some are far bigger than that.

Nuclear war is an extinction event. Simple as that. There can be no winner.

Watch this. [video]https://archive.org/details/threads_201712[/video]

Listen to this. http://www.juliemcdowall.com/index.php/podcast/
As Einstein once said World War 4 will be fought with axes.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
So, from my understanding of what most of you have written here, we will never intervene, at any point, because Putin has nuclear weapons. He’s already won.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see Putin's carefully cultivated "I am a mad man" act has been very successful.

I'm sure he'll get an Oscar for it this year.

We have already been totally defeated in the Psychological war it seems.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see Putin's carefully cultivated "I am a mad man" act has been very successful.

I'm sure he'll get an Oscar for it this year.

We have already been totally defeated in the Psychological war.

No act, only a mad megalomaniac would do what he’s doing in Ukraine

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

It’s a carefully cultivated public image. He’s not mad, he’s greedy and knows the only way of achieving his goals is to play outside of established diplomatic norms.

His military has proven a lot flakier than he (or we) expected, and that will have upset him, but he’s still making slow, grim progress.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course it is an act.

With the aim of keeping NATO populations cowering and quivering.

On script he threw a few shells on the training building at a nuclear power station.

The Russians are masters at hybrid warfare. There is a psychological warfare front which we are hopelessly losing.

The man who is so scared of catching Covid is very happy to be nuked ?

Yeah, right.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It seems harsh, when put that way, but you are correct.
If (and it's a big IF), the world comes through this, somehow, things will never be the same again. I'd like to think (being a bit of an old hippy-type) that it will bring the world closer together, so the horror that Ukraine is going through is never repeated.
Naive? Probably. Hopeful? Yes. Likely? Toss a coin.

Likely..? History definitely not on your side there... The War To End All Wars gave very brief respite and historically, although Europe has been at its most peaceful for a long time, partisanship and self-interest suggest the cracks in world peace are chasms that we can no longer paper over.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
western politicians are shithouse mice compared to Putin , he is still playing by cold war rules , i suppose you could call it chronological insanity , while Europe and America have been distracted by Brexit , George Floyd and transgender/non binary equality and inclusivity, Russia and China have been getting ready for the big kick off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting discussion on BBC just now, the conclusion being that the next step should be for Europe to cut off Russian energy supplies to Europe. Apparently the only thing Putin has not prepared against. Yes, it will mean mental energy bills for Europeans but people are not going to freeze to death but if the war escalates they may well die in a European war.

Cutting off energy supplies will be catastrophic for Russia’s war machine apparently

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Of course it is an act.

On script he threw a few shells on the training building at a nuclear power station.

The Russians are masters at hybrid warfare. There is a psychological warfare front which we are hopelessly losing.

Yeah, right.

I have an Indian friend who reports that in India, Putin is shown patiently explaining difficult issues to children in a “kindly Uncle Putin” sort of way, and that he is seen by many as someone who is doing his best for his country against a great deal of provocation.

He (like most other states and politicians) has a carefully managed image. The image presented in different markets is the one that is most likely to achieve his goals in that region. Don’t believe the “mad Putin” hype, it’s the image cultivated by Putin designed to provoke fear and increase the plausibility of Russia’s nuclear threat being put to use.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tell me more.

What sanctions have we not implemented? And why have we not implemented them?

I know about the refusal to impose a no fly zone, but this is because NATO would have to shoot down Russian planes to obtain this and that means actual war.

What else can we do?

The Russian winter paralympic team have already been sent home. What more could we possibly do? ???

Forgive me if I am mixing you up with another poster, but do work at a Uni?

Is it common for russian kids are sent over here for an education?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
NATO has never been a 'defensive alliance' - many countries who are part of NATO have engaged in naked military agression over the past 70 years (the Americans in Vietnam as a prime example - although there are a large number of others) - usually with the tacid or open support of the rest of NATO - who have their 'backs'.

When NATO operates as NATO the forces wear sky blue berets instead of their own headgear. My brother was in the Marines, and went to Cyprus when Turkey invaded, to keep the peace.
Individual nations going into conflicts are not NATO based or even backed.

Your definition is completely in error.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course it is an act.

Yeah, right.

The Russians are useless at logistics when they can’t fuel their tanks nor feed their forces.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
When NATO operates as NATO the forces wear sky blue berets instead of their own headgear. My brother was in the Marines, and went to Cyprus when Turkey invaded, to keep the peace.

That’s the UN, not NATO, the UN were a bit of a toothless tiger during the Balkan war.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I know it’s proper shit but what your saying is that Putin can run around and do what he likes slaughtering innocent civilians without fear because we are worried about him using nukes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is proper sh*t, but I don't see it quite like that because (like most things in life) I don't believe it's that binary.

Putin does have the ability to end human civilization. I suspect Nato's absolute refusal to get involved reflects an informed assessment that he's capable of doing it too.
You can't stick your head in the sand over that fact and all the 'highly trained Para's and Marines' in the world are irrelevant in the face of it.

Economic sanctions, cultural sanctions, isolation, arming Ukraine and waging 'information war' is not 'doing nothing'. And will have an effect. Obviously we should have been deploying all these against the Russsian elites when they were destroying Syria. But we didn't. We were too busy selling them London. But better late than never.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Forgive me if I am mixing you up with another poster, but do work at a Uni?

Is it common for russian kids are sent over here for an education?

I'm sure Harry will answer this, but I sense that not many at all come to the UK. Maybe other
EU countries yes (France? etc), but certainly not UK (this might be subject and institution-dependent
of course).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You dont know the difference between UN and NATO.

Interesting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting discussion on BBC just now, the conclusion being that the next step should be for Europe to cut off Russian energy supplies to Europe. Apparently the only thing Putin has not prepared against. Yes, it will mean mental energy bills for Europeans but people are not going to freeze to death but if the war escalates they may well die in a European war.

Cutting off energy supplies will be catastrophic for Russia’s war machine apparently

all other sanction range from weak to redundant while we continue to trade oil and gas with Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here