Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Micheal Owen go to the world cup?

Should Micheal Owen go to the world cup?

• Yes

Votes: 58 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Nope. Although (I never thought I'd say this) possibly Harewood for the 5th spot. He has improved so much this season.

He has indeed.

Defoe, Bent & Vassell are all a bit similar for me but a predator as cover for Owen would be necessary.

This week I would take :

Owen
Rooney
Crouch
Ashton
Defoe ?? ( although Vassell has actually done it before )

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Uncle Buck said:
So if you do not take Owen who do you play? Defoe has hardly set the Premiership alight, Bent there are question marks over, Crouch is not a poacher, Fowler is unlikely to go.

So in answer of course Owen goes, his goal every other game for England shows how much we need him. There are 3 Premiership games left and then 2 international friendlies, the first game is not until the 10th June so more than enough time.

Indeed.

You could argue that his lack of matches will be a bonus as he will be raring to go. He will DEFINATELY want to prove a few people wrong about his selection.

He HAS to go

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Owen has to go, really. It's not like we're overloaded with quality players in that position, as we are in central midfield or at centre-back. I'd take:

Owen
Rooney
Crouch
Defoe
Ashton

Plus, although not a striker, Aaron Lennon HAS to go - should be way ahead of Wright-Phillips in the reckoning by now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
Owen has to go, really. It's not like we're overloaded with quality players in that position, as we are in central midfield or at centre-back. I'd take:

Owen
Rooney
Crouch
Defoe
Ashton

Plus, although not a striker, Aaron Lennon HAS to go - should be way ahead of Wright-Phillips in the reckoning by now.

I think Defoe will go, but I am not sure why. He has not had a great season and his run outs for England have not been great. Although Defoe is a better player than Vassell, I would be inclined to take Vassell as he has had a habit of getting the odd goal from the bench for England.

Regarding Lennon, I do think one of him or Downing will go, simply to give us another option on the left.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Lennon?

Pace and tricks, little final product. Far from the finished article. Just because he's been playing doesn't make him better than SWP.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Of course he should go, a class player, still quick and a great finisher.
Could do a job here too i reckon.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Owen is already on the plane. thats a done deal whether he plays between now & the end of the season or not.

I would definately take Ashton ahead of Crouch.

Ashton has scored goals at every level he has played at and although the world cup has probably come too soon for him, he will be an England regular after.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Fourteenth Eye said:

I would definately take Ashton ahead of Crouch.

no!!!!!!!

crouch has got such a fantastic ability to flick on(with feet and head) and also holds the ball up to allow gerrard to burst through.

he has so many assists this year and should be taken to bring on to(if at worst) just cause the defence a problem when marking from crosses.

it worked against argentina, they all marked him naturally and owen scores two headers. has to be taken

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Lennon?

Pace and tricks, little final product. Far from the finished article. Just because he's been playing doesn't make him better than SWP.

Can't agree with that; his crossing's been superb of late. I would find it hard to see why SWP should go instead.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Rusthall Seagull said:
??? do you really believe that Darren Bent is in the same league as Michael Owen???:lolol:

no I don't, but he's had a better season

think 66, Greaves wasn't fit, but Hurst scored a hatrick in the final, the problem England have all the bloody time is we rely too much on our 'stars' and by and large they don't perform well enough, you can see that the younger players are keener and less compacant, and thats what I think we need to have any chance of progressing past another dismal quarter final penalty shoot out?) defeat

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
zefarelly said:
no I don't, but he's had a better season

think 66, Greaves wasn't fit, but Hurst scored a hatrick in the final, the problem England have all the bloody time is we rely too much on our 'stars' and by and large they don't perform well enough, you can see that the younger players are keener and less compacant, and thats what I think we need to have any chance of progressing past another dismal quarter final penalty shoot out?) defeat

If Owen is fit, his record in International football is second to none.

What looked worrying with Bent in the last friendly was that his off the ball movement was not great and he was not getting right up with the last defender, which in Sven's fairly predicitable game plan is key.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A definate yes.

he will play in the last two games and then probably 3 england friendlies.
5 games and a solid months training is all he needs.

Still our best goalscorer by a country mile even with one leg !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here