Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Michael OWEN be in the England squad ?

Should OWEN be in the SQUAD ?

• YES Easy - its MADNESS that he has once again been ommitted. Fabio wants his ROCKS felt.

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No Easy - Owen is a broken down CROCK. Defoe and Cole are CLEARLY the answer.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Just get on with some WORK and leave us all alone you utter buffoon.

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is a really easy one.

Right now, no. Nothing to justify selection on club form.

But in May, if he has scored lots of goals for United in the PL and CL, then yes. Because an in-form striker who is only 30 and has 40-plus goals for his country is a must-pick.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Capello was interviewed this a while back.

Owens style of play doesn’t fit into how he sees Engerland playing. He wants Rooney playing behind / alongside a target man which is why Heskey / Crouch / Cole get in the side on a regular basis. Someone playing with their back to goal is an asset insomuch that it brings in Gerrard and Lampard who can bust in from midfield and stops them looking like Fraser and Loft. We spent 2 years slagging off Mclaren for playing the best 11 players who were worth fortunes but looked like St Nicholas Middle school 2nd 11 team. We are better off if we play our best team and I’m glad he is strong minded to stick with it.

The only thing I don’t understand is that Defoe can’t be described as a target man, so why is he in the squad?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
a big fat NO for me, a couple of goals in pre-season means bugger all. He needs to prove himself again (afresh if you will) in the Prem before he is considered for a recall, sure if he starts scoring then yes include him in an initial squad, but a couple of goals in 20matches is not gonna do it for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dear Olaf,

Chill bro' - he'll do the bizo at Man Utd and be an England ever-present (injury notwithstanding) up to and including the World Cup in South Africa.

Hugz and stuff,

Zambobo (your mate the clown in the Tibetan State Circus)

Dear Zambobo,

Hope you be right on that ma nigga. Now throw ma paraplegic ass in da RING, I got me some juggle practice to do with them there firey club....things.

Incidentally blud - you seen ma ram ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Capello was interviewed this a while back.

Owens style of play doesn’t fit into how he sees Engerland playing. He wants Rooney playing behind / alongside a target man which is why Heskey / Crouch / Cole get in the side on a regular basis. Someone playing with their back to goal is an asset insomuch that it brings in Gerrard and Lampard who can bust in from midfield and stops them looking like Fraser and Loft. We spent 2 years slagging off Mclaren for playing the best 11 players who were worth fortunes but looked like St Nicholas Middle school 2nd 11 team. We are better off if we play our best team and I’m glad he is strong minded to stick with it.

The only thing I don’t understand is that Defoe can’t be described as a target man, so why is he in the squad?

I can see where he's coming from on that front, and I wouldn't necessarily have Owen as a starter.
But is there a better player to have coming off the bench in the last half hour if things arn't going to plan ? Thats why I can't believe Owen is being completely frozen out. If we are in desperate need of a goal, I'd certainly be a lot happier seeing Owen taking the field than I would Defoe thats for sure.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He needs to do some work with United on a competitive level before being picked IMO BUT I firmly believe he will force his way back in as I KNOW he still has it and all his doubters will be eating humble pie, mark my words.:clap:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Owen why all the fuss!

We'll see how well he does with the top premiership team this season, his last good season was YEARS ago, he's lost the pace that made him dangerous, can't see why everyone seems to still rave about him - lets see how he does in the next few months of league football before expecting Capello to pick an untested player.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No , he'll only get injured and then Manure will put in a claim for compo equating to £120k per week.

Apr 10, 2009
Just signing for Man Utd or any top 4 team does not mean you can be automatically selected for England, you have to prove yourself like anyone else. I actually think it's a great move for him, if he can stay fit and Fergie can get the best out of him then it could be great news for England next summer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
today? absolutly not. with a bag of goals by Christmas? absolutly yes. im hoping he does well because a fit and confident Owen pisses on all the other forwards we have.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
On current form no, but I'm sure he will go to South Africa, as he will get plenty of opportunities at Manure, as well as an opportunity to partner Rayne Wooney, and strike up an understanding, as well as get a good few goals. Fabio will not be able to ignore him at end of season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here