Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Michael OWEN be in the England squad ?

Should OWEN be in the SQUAD ?

• YES Easy - its MADNESS that he has once again been ommitted. Fabio wants his ROCKS felt.

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No Easy - Owen is a broken down CROCK. Defoe and Cole are CLEARLY the answer.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Just get on with some WORK and leave us all alone you utter buffoon.

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Far be it for me to criticise Don Capello, being as we are WALTZING through this World Cup group. But I just cannot see how the likes of Carlton Cole and Jermain Defoe get in the England squad, whilst Michael Owen is left kicking his heels. Did he gob in Fabios cappucino once or something ?

Defoe has 8 goals in 34 appearances for England. 4 of those were against Andorra, 2 of them were against Trinidad & Tobago, and 1 of them against Kazakhstan (the other, and most important, was his first goal in Poland 2004). Quite plainly he is not and will never be International class. And if Carlton Cole is an International striker, then I'm a handicapped black juggler called Olaf in the Tibetan State Circus.

Its the start of the season, so NOBODY has been playing proper competative football for months now, therefore in this instance I don't accept the "if he's not playing for his club he can't be selected for his country" argument. Owen has had a full pre-season at United and is finally going into a new season fit and ready to rock. So given his (still prolific) scoring record, HOW can Defoe/Cole be preferred above Owen when we have such a DERTH of quality english strikers right now ?

I think Owen has been treated VERY unfairly by being left out, but I'm confident at United he will start hitting the goals that will make him IMPOSSIBLE to ignore for the Croatia game next month. But he should be in the bloody squad NOW.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect Capello prefers the attitude of knuckling down and working hard to prove him wrong. Owen has talent in spades, but his career has consisted of being a bit part performer at Real, followed by becoming the highest paid player and looking disinterested at a big club that just got relegated.

I suspect Owen knows what he needs to do.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Far be it for me to criticise Don Capello, being as we are WALTZING through this World Cup group. But I just cannot see how the likes of Carlton Cole and Jermain Defoe get in the England squad, whilst Michael Owen is left kicking his heels. Did he gob in Fabios cappucino once or something ?

Defoe has 8 goals in 34 appearances for England. 4 of those were against Andorra, 2 of them were against Trinidad & Tobago, and 1 of them against Kazakhstan (the other, and most important, was his first goal in Poland 2004). Quite plainly he is not and will never be International class. And if Carlton Cole is an International striker, then I'm a handicapped black juggler called Olaf in the Tibetan State Circus.

Its the start of the season, so NOBODY has been playing proper competative football for months now, therefore in this instance I don't accept the "if he's not playing for his club he can't be selected for his country" argument. Owen has had a full pre-season at United and is finally going into a new season fit and ready to rock. So given his (still prolific) scoring record, HOW can Defoe/Cole be preferred above Owen when we have such a DERTH of quality english strikers right now ?

I think Owen has been treated VERY unfairly by being left out, but I'm confident at United he will start hitting the goals that will make him IMPOSSIBLE to ignore for the Croatia game next month. But he should be in the bloody squad NOW.

Sorry Olaf, but I think FC has it right this time. He included him in the provisional squad to say "I haven't forgotten about you" and then didn't include him in the full squad, saying "You're nearly there son, go out and get some goals and you'll be in the next one".

That's what I make of it anyway, and I was right once.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I suspect Capello prefers the attitude of knuckling down and working hard to prove him wrong. Owen has talent in spades, but his career has consisted of being a bit part performer at Real, followed by becoming the highest paid player and looking disinterested at a big club that just got relegated.

I suspect Owen knows what he needs to do.

Precisely, make him prove to us all that he should be first choice striker, MO knows what he needs to do and if fergie gives him the chances he will do so

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't see how you can argue, he's not picking Owen because he doesn't work hard enough when Defoe's in the squad.

I hope Owen will do enough to get in the squad, but he's not done enough yet really if you ignore his internation record like Capello's done.

I can't see how Crouch isn't in there

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I just hope Fergie gives him enough gametime. I agree with the sentiment but Owen just needs to score goals regularly.

It remains to be seen how much starting time Crouch and Defoe get because Keane will start and I rate Pavlyuchenko. Therefore, it's not just Owen worried about getting games.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think if Owen scores bucketfuls for Man Utd and is a regular there is no way he would be ignored.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I think it sends out a great message.

He shouldn't be picked all of a sudden just because he happens to have signed for Man Utd.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He'll be in injured for any meaningful game so it won't matter

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
He isnt exactly on form is he !! as TMLS said, once he regains his form/confidence then im sure he will be back in.

Lets not forget that this is a friendly. Cappello knows all about Owen. He really should be looking at untried people other than bent

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Not only should Owen be in the squad but he should be in the starting line up.
He is quite simply our best goalscorer with Rooney by some way, Carlton Cole, Heskey, Defoe.....Crouch....please....its not even a decision.

I pray and hope that Owen gets a full season injury free with united and builds up an excellent relationship with rooney, as its the only was we will win the world cup next summer.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not only should Owen be in the squad but he should be in the starting line up.
He is quite simply our best goalscorer with Rooney by some way, Carlton Cole, Heskey, Defoe.....Crouch....please....its not even a decision.

I pray and hope that Owen gets a full season injury free with united and builds up an excellent relationship with rooney, as its the only was we will win the world cup next summer.

We ALWAYS look better with Heskey in the side. Both Owen and Rooney would rather play alongside him than each other.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dear Olaf,

Chill bro' - he'll do the bizo at Man Utd and be an England ever-present (injury notwithstanding) up to and including the World Cup in South Africa.

Hugz and stuff,

Zambobo (your mate the clown in the Tibetan State Circus)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I'm not a big fan of Defoe but I think he's improved a little over the last season, I think Carlton Cole has earned a chance too, he's always had the attributes of a good player but never brought them all together which he seems to be doing now. It seems to me that Capello is looking to see if he can play a similar role to Heskey, lead the line for the others to play off, but also provide a bit more pace and goal threat of his own.

I have often defended Owen on here, but I'm not too fussed this time about him being left out because I know he has got a big chance to prove himself - and no excuses. So let him do it. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What part of, Owen is more often injured than not and therefore should not even be considered for the England squad, are you people having trouble getting to grips with? :lol:

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Just because he wears a Man United shirt in training and on the bench now doesn't mean the last 3/4/5 or however many years he's been poor should be forgotten. He needs to prove himself again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here