Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should McLaren consider Bentley for the next England squad?

Should McClaren consider Bentley for a place in the next full England squad?

• Yes. Talent, form and fitness are all that count.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • No. He has let his country down and needs to learn some respect.

Votes: 25 48.1%
  • Couldn't give a toss.

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why not? I would rather we had competition for places than a bunch of saps who expect to play every game.

Maybe players do play too much football and he had a point. I am sure it wasn't an easy decision by him. Remember how lethargic we looked in the World Cup?

Having said that, I did vote 'Couldn't give a toss'.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm not saying he should never play for England.... but to pick him in the first senior squad after crying off sick is wrong.

Don't pick him..... he won't play even if he is in the squad, let him sweat a bit, then see how he reacts

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
Looks good from here!!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 3323472687BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    3323472687BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 4

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
What about all the other players who played (and have played in the past) as many, if not more games than he did? A bit of a copout by Bentley IMO.

He felt he needed a rest. Not sure whats so wrong with that-

I wonder now if Michael Owen wishes he'd had a bit more rest in the early years of his career...

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Remember how lethargic we looked in the World Cup?

Are you saying I am as shit as the England team or they are as good as me :lolol:.

On the Bentley position if he's good enough pick him, we all make mistakes and football sold its soul years ago. God we are bad enough as it is without added reasons not pick our best players.

Mcdimwit Out!

He felt he needed a rest. Not sure whats so wrong with that-

I wonder now if Michael Owen wishes he'd had a bit more rest in the early years of his career...

But the point is he didn't pull out until it was too late to replace him under competition rules. That, in my opinion is letting your country down. He had already had weeks without playing a game at that point and could have travelled but asked to be just back up against injuries without actually playing. Sorry, I don't buy it. The bloke should not be excluded for ever but he needs to learn a bit of responsibility before representing his country at any level, let alone the full team.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
But the point is he didn't pull out until it was too late to replace him under competition rules. That, in my opinion is letting your country down. He had already had weeks without playing a game at that point and could have travelled but asked to be just back up against injuries without actually playing. Sorry, I don't buy it. The bloke should not be excluded for ever but he needs to learn a bit of responsibility before representing his country at any level, let alone the full team.

But he only pulled out as a last option because Stuart Pearce did not listen when both Bentley and Mark Hughes told him 2 weeks before that he was knackered. Much as I am disappointed with a player pulling out as they are knackered would he be treated the same if he played for one of the Endland feeeder clubs (big 4 plus spuds).

But he only pulled out as a last option because Stuart Pearce did not listen when both Bentley and Mark Hughes told him 2 weeks before that he was knackered.

The bloke plays football for 90mins about 50 times (max) in a 10 month period. Alright, he also trains for a few hours during the week. If AFTER 2 weeks rest he is not able to travel to a European tournament with England because he is tired then he is in the wrong job. He is young, fit and not carrying an injury. I work 5 days a week, 10hrs a day and often take customers out in the evening until the early hours. If I'm lucky I get a 2 week holiday once a year and get paid a fraction of the vast sum he is paid. My heart bleeds for him, he is clearly being bullied. Perhaps he could sue?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Since David Beckham can do no wrong, what about Jamie Caragher?

Carragher has rejected McClaren after he pretty much begged him to return, and then McClaren said he would never close the door on him, if Carragher changed his mind tomorrow, would he let him back in immediately? Carragher rejecting England seniors at the start of the season is surely worse than Bentely missing u21's when he is tired.

This decision is nothing more than McClaren trying to make himself appear as if he has some authority, after his rapid backtracking over Beckham, James, and Campbell as well as his sucking up to Carragher for, shock horror, making a managerial decision, Bentley is being made a scapegoat because he is not a 'big' player and doesn't play for one of the "big four". It's ridiculous. It's not like we're overloaded with skilful creative players is it?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
It's was only the Under 21s which doesn't really mean anything, the majority of the side will never break into the full England squad...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The fact that Bently is even being discussed shows how low English international standards have fallen.

Do people really think Bently is world or international class? No other half decent nation would consider him for their team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here