Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I move my BroadBand to BT Infinity?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I don't install Infinity, but my understanding is that it has to be enabled at the green box on your street (AND the exchange, obviously). In the area I live I seem to live on the only street which is not enabled which I've deduced using all the local postcodes.

I'm in Bexhill and am on Infinity, so it's definitely enabled in some areas.

Could be that you're connected direct to the exchange, in which case you're out of luck. Check your local box to see if it's been upgraded (it will be a new physical box very close to the existing old-style box).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Strange, are you checking with a telephone number or post code? I'm checking by post code (we've currently got a sky phone line so i cant check via number) and it tells me I can get upto 33.9mb download 6mb upload with Infinity now. We are about 1.5 miles from the exchange.

The website must be out of date.

Funnily enough I just had a phone call from BT offering me fantastic deals on broadband, when I said I'm not interested until Infinity was available he said that's not until June 2013, I questioned the September 2012 original date and he said that must be wrong as it is June :shrug:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Moved over to infinity a few months back, had no problems with it and you will notice the difference.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Is that down soley to the ISP or just your position near the exchange? I thought ISPs have to use the same cables etc so effectively swapping would be like swapping gas/electricity providers, ie. no point bar the price?

Bit of both although the other ISPs use the BT infrastructure so should get the same service BT can and will throttle the service they get to benefit their own customers. Distance from the fibre cabinet in the street also has an affect and the connection in the house can also take down the speeds ie using wireless not cables.
That said been on Infinity for 18months and its great no problems (so far) and just been upgraded to Infinity 2. The "advanced" wireless routers they advertise are no better than any other and do get a mixed response. Ulinmtately it depends what you use your internet connection for as to whether its worth it.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, yes you should. I usually get about a 75Mbps connection and it very rarely goes down, I've just had a slight issue with wired connections to my BT Hub but that seems to have gone away now.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Ah it is times like this that I love living in the sticks! - 7.5mb broadband, with no sign of superfast broadband and no mobile phone signal. Good God you would think I live in the third world (except they get better service!) not Sussex. Shows that that if there is no money in it, the companies (and Gov't) don't give a sh*t!

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Has anyone got Sky's Fibre Optic Broadband? It's £20/month is you already have Sky TV. The download speeds are said to be about 40mb, but upload is only 0.5mb I've heard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here