Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I eat it?

Should I eat the rancid, festering pie or chuck it where it belongs?

• Eat it

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • Bin it

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
So why do you think they put expirey dates on food?:dunce:

Nowadays there is a demand for less and less additives and preservatives, so food does not last as long in storage.

If you could smell out food poisoning then that would ensure the closure of many testing laboratories.

If you eat it, make sure you leave a note as to what it was you eat, so you can get the appropriate treatment.

Good luck:thud:

To be honest I've never really paid any attention to the dates on food. Generally if it looks and smells ok then I eat it and that philosophy has served me well this far.

In fairness though I don't believe I've ever been faced with anything 18 months out of date before so I've got to admit it is an intriguing prospect and I'm looking at it as a bit of a challenge to my manliness that I'm struggling to back down from.

It's kind of exciting. Since it's all wrapped up in its metallic jacket I've got no idea what's lurking beneath. It could be blue fluffy mould, wriggly maggots, or simply tasty chicken curry pie.

At the moment I'm thinking of accompanying it with potato wedges and sweetcorn :drool:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
SPAM cannot go out of date, but requires an expiry date by law.

Is that true? Well then surely that proves that everything will be ok right?

What the hell, I'm gonna go for it. It's only a year and a half past its date after all. I'll let you know how I get on...........

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Are you still alive?

Its just coming out of the oven in a minute. All puffed up and inviting to the unknown within.....

I'm going to share it with Steven Seagal.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Well the deed is now done.

I carefully opened the tin just in case there was some disgusting build up of revolting rotted foulness inside and as I slowly peeled back the lid and peeked inside what greeted me looked like, well, a good old trusty Fray Bentos pie.

I sniffed it and no smell. I carefully lifted the pastry lid and peeked underneath and what greeted me looked and smelled as much like curried chicken as I could have hoped under the circumstances so into the oven it went.

I gave it an extra 15 minutes on top of the 30 it suggested on the tin just to make sure that anything nasty was nicely cooked to add to the flavour and ensured that when I lifted the pastry the heat and steam was hot enough to remove the top layer of skin on my face.

And the rest is history..... I tucked in and it tasted good. So good in fact that in future I may well decide to eat all of my food 18 months past its use by date. Well, maybe not my fruit and veg.

That was about an hour and a half ago now and theres no repercussions yet. Does anyone know how long it takes food poisoning to surface? I guess only time will tell but the next 24 hours are going to be crucial........

I'll check back in tomorrow to let you know if I came out the other side in one piece :wave:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well the deed is now done.

I carefully opened the tin just in case there was some disgusting build up of revolting rotted foulness inside and as I slowly peeled back the lid and peeked inside what greeted me looked like, well, a good old trusty Fray Bentos pie.

I sniffed it and no smell. I carefully lifted the pastry lid and peeked underneath and what greeted me looked and smelled as much like curried chicken as I could have hoped under the circumstances so into the oven it went.

I gave it an extra 15 minutes on top of the 30 it suggested on the tin just to make sure that anything nasty was nicely cooked to add to the flavour and ensured that when I lifted the pastry the heat and steam was hot enough to remove the top layer of skin on my face.

And the rest is history..... I tucked in and it tasted good. So good in fact that in future I may well decide to eat all of my food 18 months past its use by date. Well, maybe not my fruit and veg.

That was about an hour and a half ago now and theres no repercussions yet. Does anyone know how long it takes food poisoning to surface? I guess only time will tell but the next 24 hours are going to be crucial........

I'll check back in tomorrow to let you know if I came out the other side in one piece :wave:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Forgot to mention....... you should know in roughly 18 to 36 hours if you have food poisoning ....could be as soon as 6 hours but with botulism (most common anaerobic toxin associated with tinned food) it may take as long as 10 days before you need to go on life support

Not to worry you like

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here