Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should football be illegal?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A columnist in the Mail on Sunday has called for football to be made illegal in the same way that a hunting ban has been proposed, "to get rid of this disgusting game".

It could be exciting: to watch the Albion we'd all have to log on to a website and drive along the A23 waiting for a signal until we could turn up to the secret venue. It would solve the problem of the new stadium as we could play at Withdean, Falmer (disturbing the bats), Shoreham harbour, the Toys R Us carpack and Waterhall a as the club and supporters play cat and mouse with the police.

To replace football we would have a whole new series of sports: Prosser-baiting (our favourite ref is tied to a post and torn apart by angry dogs and Paul Jewell), Croydon slum clearance (where two teams try to make a south London district inhabitable) and Drug Test nightmare (where players try to guess how long it will take for Rio Ferdinand to piss in a bottle).

There'd also be a cottage industry as million of Sky dishes are converted to woks.

Personally, I'd rather that fox hunting should be replaced by hunting MoS columnists who say wanky things, but that will never catch on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That wanker Peter Hitchens.

I hasten to add that I don't read the Mail myself, the Guardian quoted him this morning.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think the Mail on Sunday should be made illegal

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Football has been made illegal several times in the past1314, 1315 Edward II bans football.

1349, 1388, 1410 Football was banned from the city of London due to complaints from merchants.

1364 Synod of Ely bans clergy from playing football due to the violent nature of the game.

1477 Edward IV issues edict against football.

1496 Henry VII issues edict against football.

1539 Annual match in Chester abolished due to violence.

1555 Football banned in Liverpool due to mayhem.

1576 Middlesex County Records reports that 100 men assembled unlawfully to play football. There was a "great affray."

1579 After the start of a match against the students of Cambridge, the townsmen of Chesterton proceeded to assault their opponents with sticks, driving them into the river.

1581 Evanses Feld at Southemyms. One yoeman killed by two others during a football match.

1608 Football banned in Manchester due to the mayhem caused by "a company of lewd and disordered persons..."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
1608 Football banned in Manchester due to the mayhem caused by "a company of lewd and disordered persons..."

Didn't realise that United had been going that long:)

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
MAIL ON SUNDAY IS THE BIGGEST PILE OF CRAP IVE EVER HAD THE MISFORYUN TO READ, I WOULDNT EVEN WIPE MY ARSE WITH IT

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yorkie said:
1581 Evanses Feld at Southemyms. One yoeman killed by two others during a football match.

1997 Granada saervisys at Southemyms. Horde of bored Brighton fans drink expensive coffee late into the night on the off-chance David Bellotti might turn up and we can shout at him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here