Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should Abramovich be thrown out of football

Should Abramovich be thrown out of English football ?

• Yes

Votes: 141 71.2%
  • No

Votes: 57 28.8%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Our reluctance to sanction these people shows you how much money talks. Ordinary Russian parlay pianos are banned from competing, many aspects of ordinary Russian lives effected, and yet the very people that profited from the collapse of the Soviet Union - we're not touching. This is surely about pressure on the regime - surely Russia’s powerful are the ones to target?

this is what i find odd. is it about how they acquired their assets, or their influence over Putin? as far as i can tell, where there is a substantive case for the later, sanctions are applied.

economically its futile as we continue to buy oil and gas from Russia.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
this is what i find odd. is it about how they acquired their assets, or their influence over Putin? as far as i can tell, where there is a substantive case for the later, sanctions are applied.

economically its futile as we continue to buy oil and gas from Russia.

Why bother banning athletes or sports teams then that have no baring on economies or political power if it's futile? It is surely about pressure from all angles.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why bother banning athletes or sports teams then that have no baring on economies or political power if it's futile? It is surely about pressure from all angles.

you're right the sports bans seem pointless once its apparently Putin doesnt care. it becomes about the gestures.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
you're right the sports bans seem pointless once its apparently Putin doesnt care. it becomes about the gestures.

The goal of bans and sanctions isn't really about making Putin care, it's about making this invasion unpopular with everyone else in Russia or connected to Russian interests. You have to make him so unpopular as to start to make his position unstable. Whether that works or not is another matter, but I find it amazing all this talk of the likes of Abramovich not having a direct connect, but he cannot even make a statement that he is against the invasion.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Raab has just spent 10 minutes on R4 Today programme refusing to explain why it is acceptable for Abramovich to sell Chelsea and do what we likes with the money, as the government has refused to impose sanctions on him. The most high profile pal of Putin in the UK and HMG does nothing. It stinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here