Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Short-term memory problems

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Go and see your GP and tell them about your concerns with examples where you can. They will probably try to fob you off but be persistant and explain that your job is at risk. There is a very simple short test they can carry out to test for potential memory loss. Ask for an appointment specifically to be tested. Your GP can conduct the test but if they are reluctant ask for a referal to a psychiatrist.

There is, in reality, almost no chance of you having any physical problem given your age and lack of family history but if you don't get a proper all clear you'll still worry.

Ask for dietary advice as this can have an impact. Cut out booze, fags and, of course drugs if you use any of them (including prescription meds). Stress and worrying can have a massive impact on memory so if there are issues that are worrying you make sure your doctor is aware.

Making your doctor take it seriously will be your biggest problem.

Well I'll be in the right place on Wednesday so I will mention it which'll hopefully open the door to carrying out some tests. I feel the problem could be partly due to my medication.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well I'll be in the right place on Wednesday so I will mention it which'll hopefully open the door to carrying out some tests. I feel the problem could be partly due to my medication.

If you think it might be partly responsible there is every chance it is entirely responsible. Your problem will be persuading your GP that there is actually a problem so stand firm and example as much as you can. Some medication can impact on memory on its own but more often it is combinations of medication that can cause uncalculated and often little understood or little recognised problems. Anti depressants and anti psychotic drugs seem to be particularly an issue from my experience. Try to think about when problems first became apparent and was that linked to a time when you changed meds? You will gather that I have some experience with my partner having similar problems and once we got someone to listen a change of meds (although it took time and trial and error) it has resulted in some improvement.

Remember though that most people who think they have problems with memory are most likely no worse than every one else or may just be under some short term stress which could easily pass once any current pressure lifts.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Football fans in general seem to have memory loss when they don't get to sign someone good cos they got beaten to it by another club and all of a sudden the player they thought was good 24 hours previous is now total shyte. Same when losing a player to another club... the legend becomes a tit! Wasn't worthy of the shirt, etc.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
age has a lot to do with memory loss I'm 65 next birthday and forget things I'v just done but can remember what someone said to me while at school 50 years ago my mum had Alzhiemers and it did scare the shit out of me but when I spoke to my doctor he said its normal to lose your short term memory as you get older
ask him to check for Alzhiemers I think its a fairly simple test now
and whatever be lucky

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
ONE of the causes of short-term memory loss is an underactive thyroid. People can go for years without ever realising their thyroid is the cause of quite a few bodily problems.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

lolypoly

Jun 29, 2011
hi

I don’t think it is hormonal problem. You have to be confident yourself. Try to keep things memorable just forget that you are facing some problem. Start to make notes about thing which you generally face. Regularly consult with psychotherapist and try to involve in social activity. Make yourself busy.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I only just saw this thread so I expect your Dr would have thought of this but we have noticed with my Grandad in the past that a urine infection that he has no other symptoms of can cause confusion and forgetfulness, however he does get confused anyway but it really exagerates it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here