Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Short Corners

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
FFS STOP DOING THEM - WASTE OF TIME

:angry: :censored: :angry: :censored: :angry:

Got us the goal at Burnley. With no height in the box, what's the alternative.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
They are onbly worth doing if they are taken quickly and there are no defenders nearby, like at Burnley. Every one taken today they waited til everyone was ready and there were two defenders 10 yards away before they took them.

The problem isn't the delivery, the problem is the targets - which at the moment is the quicksilver gnome Jakey and Leon standing with his hands on his hips somewhere outside the box.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
London Irish said:
The problem isn't the delivery, the problem is the targets - which at the moment is the quicksilver gnome Jakey and Leon standing with his hands on his hips somewhere outside the box.
Uhhh...I'd say delivery is a big problem. Forget the targets - if we can't even get the ball past the first defender, it doesn't matter whether we have Jake, Leon or Crouch waiting for the ball.

I just don't geddit. You have a chance of slinging the ball into the box, with no-one challenging, no-one allowed within 10 yards. So what do we do ? Play it short and end up having to try to beat a couple of defenders to get the ball over.

Pointless. Pointless. Pointless.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Why can't McGhee come up with some different alternatives to the short corner???

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Jimmy Greaves said he dont know why bother with short corners as its a free cross from the byline. UNMARKED

I would have to agree...

Last edited:

Downloaded Penguin said:
Why can't McGhee come up with some different alternatives to the short corner???

I wasn't quite a short corner - but almost, got the winner at Upton Park last year.

Then we had Virgs, Guy, DC and the many-club man competing for the header. We have Guy, maybe McShane and that's it today. We need more targets.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
They are ok when neccessary, but too many times do we seem to be knocking balls into the feet of players who are being marked about 4 yards away. It's stupid.

When appropriate, they can be great, but there's no point sending the whole team up and failing to get a cross in

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
London Irish said:
I wasn't quite a short corner - but almost, got the winner at Upton Park last year.

Then we had Virgs, Guy, DC and the many-club man competing for the header. We have Guy, maybe McShane and that's it today. We need more targets.

Why can't they come up with a corner where there are a couple of guys waiting unmarked just outside the box, one controls the ball and leaves it for the other one running in to wallop it into the goal. The other players are aware of this and make sure they keep onside. We could only do this once but we had so many corners we need to vary what we do.

Trouble is every time someone has a shot outside the box the ball is skyed over the top. If it's on target it'll be in.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'm not worried about the short-corners, I'm more worried about the way teams are walking straight through the middle of us to score!!!

Now that certainly needs some work in training.

Last edited:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I personally hate short corners, think they are a waste of time and generally lose posession. Put the ball in the box where it is most dangerous! I'm sure all defenders are please when they see a team taking short corners.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
gvce26 said:
I personally hate short corners, think they are a waste of time and generally lose posession. Put the ball in the box where it is most dangerous! I'm sure all defenders are please when they see a team taking short corners.

Of course, taking short corners brings a couple of defenders out of position

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Don't like the short corner at all. Just get it in the box, throw yourself at it and see what happens. Nine times out of ten they end up being cleared or sent back to the halfway line

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
At one point this afternoon we had a corner and Cardiff had nine in their box to our five. Then one of our five went over to stand by the corner taker who then crossed it into the box. What was that about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here