Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham cement works

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
they should just make the place into a winter sports centre like they were originally going to

as an aside remember that Portuguese Football Ground in the recent Euro Championships, that was located in an old quarry. It certainly looked spectacular.???

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Just got this through the door a minute ago.

The South East Plan will be presented on 31 March 2005 at Brighthelm, from 5 o'clock. Warning. This is fairly boring. Very boring. It is about the long term future after 2007 so it is not related to current planning issues. The Albion stadium should up and built before then!

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Calling said:
as an aside remember that Portuguese Football Ground in the recent Euro Championships, that was located in an old quarry. It certainly looked spectacular.???

The Japanese did the same thing. Spectacular white elephants now the World Cup has gone, because they were located too far from the customer fan base for events.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
northstandnorth said:
its not free land,we cant just build on it like some squatter on the say so of some bloke who used to work there!!!!!

IT AINT IN BRIGHTON OR HOVE.IT'S NOT EVEN IN EAST SUSSEX

railway lines cost millions of pounds a mile,stations big enough for thousands of people used once a fortnight would cost the earth and you try getting a non scheduled train on to the main lines(ask the steam engine dweebs)

AND ITS ALSO BEEN PROPOSED FOR DEVELOPMENT IN THE LATEST WEST SUSSEX COUNTY COUNCIL 10 YEAR PLAN

just what we need.another public enquiery

Forgive me if this has been said, but apart from anything else the rail line has been cut between Shoreham and Beeding, the rail bridge that used to carry the line over the road in Shorham was demolished years ago, that would cost a blleding fortune to rebuild, and the planning process would be longer than the falmer one just to get it ok'd.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why on earth do we have a 3 page thread on Beeding Cement Works ?? All feasability of this site has been completely and utterly blown out the water at the Inquiry weeks ago.

Our planning/transport experts have already booted this site firmly into touch. Read the evidence - it is a NON STARTER. It is an EX-SITE. It has CEASED TO BE. If it wasn't nailed to the perch, it would already be pushing up the DAISYS.

Next.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Teleporters are old hat. Club is investing in Tardises as they are bigger on the inside than outside and thus being to take up the slack that the 473 Park and Ride buses will not be able to cope with.

Perseus is WRONG to blame SERA for the demise of Structure Plans.

The reason they are going is because Central Government wants to see a root and branch reform of the planning system.

Remember Blair's interview at the Labour Party Conference? The one where he said that he "understood Albion fans' frustration at how long the planning application was taking"?

And we all said that we agreed?

Well, the Government is now doing something about it!

Hopefully these reforms will mean that never again will it take six years to process a planning application.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lord Bracknell said:
Perseus is WRONG to blame SERA for the demise of Structure Plans.

The reason they are going is because Central Government wants to see a root and branch reform of the planning system.

Remember Blair's interview at the Labour Party Conference? The one where he said that he "understood Albion fans' frustration at how long the planning application was taking"?

And we all said that we agreed?

Well, the Government is now doing something about it!

Hopefully these reforms will mean that never again will it take six years to process a planning application.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The way our Inquiry is going I would not be certain that it's only six years, Lord B. Oh my, I hope I am wrong!

saintSeagull said:
there is park and ride now at Withdean. Can't this run form Shoreham Station. In any case such a big site could accomodate hundreds? of coaches.
The advocates of Beeding Cement Works accept that it would need 110 double decker buses (each doing a double run) to provide the necessary transport for people who wouldn't be able to fit into the on-site car parks.

There simply aren't that many spare buses available in South East England. Nor is there enough room in and around Shoreham Station (or any other site that might be considered a suitable pick-up point).

It's a ridiculous idea.

Park & Ride at Withdean uses something like 10 buses.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
What really happened at Beeding. Blue Circle closed the plant down, put hundreds of people out of work, caused a drastic employment shortfall in Adur*, and failed to clear up the huge mound of asbestos and other junk (polluter does not pay, not if he can wangle his way out of it).
(*with the port jobs going and Lancing Carriage Works, the cumulative effect is the greatest area of deprivation in West Sussex: not as bad as Hastings though.)

In a roundabout way, Hargreaves now own it. It is a liability with a minus value as a piece of land.

It is no good for housing because there are no jobs and no good even for an incinerator or employment because it is too far off the beaten track, with rotten transport infrastructure.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
clapham_gull said:
Do you think that the Falmer planning application has been a waste of money Perseus ?

Depends on the result really.

The politicians have created the farce.

I would have gone for Falmer Village Way Middle. I would have put the stadium right bang in the middle of the road and rerouted the University access. Then I would landscaped the the whole f***ing area of really rotten low quality chalk and flint substandard farmland into an environmental improvement based on the the stadium as a focal point.

So much for the view. The argument is a load of crap. If you walk along the litter strewn bridleway on the top of the hill, the brow of the hill actually obscures the dip down into the road, so you cannot see f*** all anyway.

If that answers your question?

We have been let down by people and politicians.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
clapham_gull said:
Oh okay, its just that you posted that it WAS a waste of money on the argus forum that's all.

:lolol:

I didn't. Not in the context I think you mean. It is waste of money inasmuch that the lawyers are grabbing a lot of it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not you ?

They should sell shares. I getting fed up with it all.

I think it is more than 50% that Prescott will say no. The £2 million has been wasted in an incompetent Planning Application.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
clapham_gull said:
Not you ?

I admit it.

It is about 50-50.

Competent if it succeeds. Incompetent if it doesn't. (A bit harsh in the cruel world of Football Management. Danny Wilson got the sack and if he had won one match, he might have been a short time hero!)

Prescott is the judge.

It is not the system that caused all the palaver. It is the downs lobby. And that means people in positions of power who decided to oppose the plan. Who are they?

It is not a farmer, a pub landlord or a few NIMBYS. They don't have enough clout to cause that much fuss.

There are only two groups that are causing the extensive fuss. They are Lewes District Council who are paying the bills, and the South Downs Conservation Board who have maintained a consistent barrage of anti-stadium propaganda from the outset. Who are the leaders of these groups?

I could say it is short-sighted, but it actually seems to me, somebody or some group of arrogant self righteous people have got a big down on football.

Just because it is called an AONB with statutory protection.

Falmer farmland is just private property with a low surplus productive value. The public do not care much about it. The only thing the public are worried about is traffic jams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here