Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Shopping via TV in the UK?

Fiskmås

Hi, wondering if I could ask something absolutely non-football related from you UK chaps. Apologies if these kinds of threads are frowned upon, since at the end of the day it's about me (or rather my wife) making money. :D (if I'm out of line I'll make sure to delete it immediately).

I'm just curious about "TV shopping" in the UK, is it a thing? And if so, are there any channels/shows more popular than others?

My wife has a side hustle where she promotes a local product on international markets. She managed to get it featured on the Oprah Winfrey shopping channel in the US, and that 15 second segment resulted in over a thousand sales in the first six hours. Which of course makes it very interesting to see if it can be repeated on other (albeit smaller) markets.

Are you brits into the whole TV shopping thing at all? I don't know much, but I mainly associate it with American housewives having too much time to kill in the afternoons. Is that overly prejudiced of me?

Are there any shows you could point me towards? Some quick googling shows me something called QVC and that ITV has a show after midnight, do you have any experiences of those?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In the UK you can buy things off something called the internet which probably partially replaced buying things off TV about 20 years ago. Hope that helps

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
TV shopping is still very popular among a certain demographic. I used to do a lot of work with a company which really focused on products which would suit a TV shopping audience and one of the Dragons on Dragons Den, Sara Davies, is still very well connected in that world. She will often assess businesses pitching to her on whether they would suit a TV shopping audience and Lord Sugar always has a TV selling task on The Apprentice.

There is definitely money to be made if the product is going to suit the very specific demographic of people who is still watching TV shopping channels.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Hi, wondering if I could ask something absolutely non-football related from you UK chaps. Apologies if these kinds of threads are frowned upon, since at the end of the day it's about me (or rather my wife) making money. :D (if I'm out of line I'll make sure to delete it immediately).

I'm just curious about "TV shopping" in the UK, is it a thing? And if so, are there any channels/shows more popular than others?

My wife has a side hustle where she promotes a local product on international markets. She managed to get it featured on the Oprah Winfrey shopping channel in the US, and that 15 second segment resulted in over a thousand sales in the first six hours. Which of course makes it very interesting to see if it can be repeated on other (albeit smaller) markets.

Are you brits into the whole TV shopping thing at all? I don't know much, but I mainly associate it with American housewives having too much time to kill in the afternoons. Is that overly prejudiced of me?

Are there any shows you could point me towards? Some quick googling shows me something called QVC and that ITV has a show after midnight, do you have any experiences of those?

Yes QVC is pretty much it as far as I know, never use them personally.

Its an age thing imo. The middle aged and younger will do their shopping via Amazon or internet and the older generation will go for QVC where they dont have to follow an App or use their phones (even if they have a smart phone). So It entirely depends what age your product is aimed at. All IMO.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I am a little intrigued now as to what the product is, just because I always used to be amazed by what toot would actually sell on the apprentice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hi, wondering if I could ask something absolutely non-football related from you UK chaps. Apologies if these kinds of threads are frowned upon
Frowned upon? Not at all. In fact, add a few fish puns and you seem the perfect punter for NSC.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
We've got a thing called Freeview. It comes with a large number of stations, many of which are devoted to the selling of cheap tat to a daytime TV audience
Not so cheap though, is it.
You see a product, they sing it's praises for an hour, tell you it's at a discounted price for x amount of hours, just to get you to buy it.
Truth is, you see a product, think that's a good idea so you then go online and buy it for half the said discounted price from China(Temu, Shein, Aliexpress)!
Takes a little longer to arrive...but hey ho :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not so cheap though, is it.
You see a product, they sing it's praises for an hour, tell you it's at a discounted price for x amount of hours, just to get you to buy it.
Truth is, you see a product, think that's a good idea so you then go online and buy it for half the said discounted price from China(Temu, Shein, Aliexpress)!
Takes a little longer to arrive...but hey ho :thumbsup:
Has anyone actually bought anything from temu?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Loads of stuff.
Solar garden lights, electronic components, charging adapters and leads, a few hand tools, 3d printing stuff, gardening niknaks...the list is long.
I've also completed fishland and farmland a few times for free gifts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here