Votes: 73 59.8%
  • yes once

Votes: 23 18.9%

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to tell the security? I know it's breaking the law blah blah but it didn't have nothing to do with you and wouldn't effect you whatsoever? If I saw someone doing it in likes of Waitrose, ASDA, Sainsbury's etc then it wouldn't bother me one jot, different if it was something like your local shop, that's when I'd expect people to say something.

Waitrose won't be losing out a shed load of money will they.. :shrug:

I'm sure you'll get slated by the usual suspects and do gooders, but very much this ^^^

Why potentially ruin someone's life because they're nicking from a supermarket that makes hundreds of millions in profit.

The "it puts prices up for the rest of us" argument is rubbish in this case, if anyone can present some figures which prove that this is the case I'm happy to change my mind, but at the moment I refuse to believe that thieving affects their prices - it simply can't do when they're in such stiff competition with each other.

If they get caught on CCTV or by security then fair enough, but personally I wouldn't want to go out of my way to hurt another person like that for the sake of a few quids worth of shopping.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
At the start of my mothers dementia she started shoplifting,when pointing out the error of her ways she would get irate and put the blame on the high cost of things,don't know if she was ever caught but she was never prosecuted,the thought of a court case used to give me nightmares.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I'm sure you'll get slated by the usual suspects and do gooders, but very much this ^^^

Why potentially ruin someone's life because they're nicking from a supermarket that makes hundreds of millions in profit.

The "it puts prices up for the rest of us" argument is rubbish in this case, if anyone can present some figures which prove that this is the case I'm happy to change my mind, but at the moment I refuse to believe that thieving affects their prices - it simply can't do when they're in such stiff competition with each other.

If they get caught on CCTV or by security then fair enough, but personally I wouldn't want to go out of my way to hurt another person like that for the sake of a few quids worth of shopping.

And at last someone agrees. :)

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Of course the biggest thieves are the supermarkets themselves!! They make millions every year by failing to change prices at the till for 'special offers'. Old people are particularly vulnerable to this practice as they are less likely to check their bills.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I occasionally nick from supermarkets, mainly when drunk and can't be arsed to queue up for more booze. Don't loose any sleep over it nor do I care what people/posters think of me for it.

Wouldn't ever steal from an independent shop like an offie or corner shop though. Nor would I even dream of robbing someone on the street. In fact I've twice handed in phones I found on the bus.

Twisted logic maybe, but that's just me.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to tell the security? I know it's breaking the law blah blah but it didn't have nothing to do with you and wouldn't effect you whatsoever? If I saw someone doing it in likes of Waitrose, ASDA, Sainsbury's etc then it wouldn't bother me one jot, different if it was something like your local shop, that's when I'd expect people to say something.

You've got a nice double negative in there, so you've defeated your own argument.:lolol:

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
I'd rather people who are drawn/forced into partaking in this kind of activity do it from commercial properties to try and get what they need instead of targeting private homes.

This statement does not bring a lot to the discussion i know, but i hope the twat who smashed my coldframe up whilst trying to steal a broken lawnmower bled quite heavily. Numpty.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

All the supermarkets do an annual stock-take. They know how much has been nicked. They will increase prices to maintain the required profit margin. In the 6 weeks between mid November and the end of December 2012 the Centre for Retail Research estimated the losses in the UK were £522.5 million for shoplifting , employee theft estimated at £430.6 million and supply chain fraud estimated at £46.6 million , added together its just under £1M for the Xmas period.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was in ASDA in Crawley once and a woman took a cooked chicken off of the heated counter and a pack of 6 cokes and broke the chicken up between her 3 children and herself and then gave each one a bottle of coke and had one herself,which they all consumed in the corner of the shop. I told a security man and he said he could do nothing until thy had passed through the till because they would say they kept the bar code and was going to pay for it at the checkout, believe she would have done so if you will. I don't, but then I am a cynic.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
All the supermarkets do an annual stock-take. They know how much has been nicked. They will increase prices to maintain the required profit margin. In the 6 weeks between mid November and the end of December 2012 the Centre for Retail Research estimated the losses in the UK were £522.5 million for shoplifting , employee theft estimated at £430.6 million and supply chain fraud estimated at £46.6 million , added together its just under £1M for the Xmas period.

£1 billion

From all shops not just supermarkets. So shoplifters and employees are nearly neck and neck in the nicking totals, You can't trust anyone!!

It has something to do with everyone, because the losses shops make through stealing, means prices are increased to cover it.

Exactly the same as everyone paying more can insurance, to cover the expense of drivers with out insurance.

Presumably this only applies to the old Citroens ?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

It's OK chaps, I won't tell the old Bill if I see burglars in your houses or businesses either, after all you can afford it. I am sure that the Albion don't mind if they have goods nicked from the Club Shop as well - you know the Club we all fought for?,

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

And winner of most moronic post of the day comes from you. Well done :thumbsup:

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

Google "inventory shrinkage" or "accounting shrinkage"

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Does any one here steal small items like paper, pens or even work materials for home and mates etc and think that that's not stealing ?

I' m just wondering what the NSC opinion is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here