Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SHOCK - Sepp Blatter talking sense!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Well I guess he had to say something sensible eventually. Not sure how they will define "home-grown", and it'll be interesting to see how our friends at the EU view this, but this would / could be a massive step in the right direction.

From BBC;
Fifa proposes limit on foreigners

Fifa will propose a limit on the number of foreigners who can play for a club and are also set to give players an official voice in decision-making.

World football's governing body has joined forces with international players' association FifPro in order to tackle the problems facing the sport.

Their proposal is the implementation of a six plus five system, whereby six members of a side must be homegrown.

The two bodies will also look at racism corruption, betting and doping issues.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter described the signing of the agreement between the two organisations as a "historic day" for football.

At the moment, clubs are not so interested in forming players because they know that later on, they may leave

Blatter, flanked by FifPro president Philippe Piat and Barcelona stars Samuel Eto'o and Lilian Thuram, said: "The players form an important part of our footballing family and must be part of the decision-making at international level."

On the proposal to put limits on the number of foreign players, Blatter added that it would "protect the national teams".

"At the moment, clubs are not so interested in forming players because they know that later on, they may leave," he stated.

"We do not want to put an end to transfers but hope to bring back the local or regional base that existed previously."

This will surely just get thrown out as soon as the G14 challenge it. There is no way to limit the number of EU players in a team, due to the freedom of movement of workers idea which is entirely central to EU policy. FIFA petitioned originally (when this challenge was first raised) to be considered as a 'special case', and was rejected. There's no reason for the EU to reverse this judgement now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not FIFA President election time is it?

Sorry for the cynicism, but this is Sepp Blatter we're talking about here. He might want to talk the talk, but all things considered, he does preside over a highly corrupt and nepotistic gravy train.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's not even a very good idea anyway.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect Sten is right. Personally I'd prefer to see UEFA encourage the growth of some bigger leagues (a Celtic League, a Scandinavian league etc) and then try and restrict player movement to the extent that 6 or 7 of your team must come from a country from which the league represents.

Until that happens, the players are right to argue that they can't fulfill their earnings potential unless they move to a club in the bigger leagues.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
home grown as in come through the youth team . .. thats a shit idea

5 english players then yes , a good idea

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One problem with football is that it always sees itself as a special case.

Those running the game seem to think ordinary accepted business rules, laws and logic don't apply and they are now suggesting that EU laws that apply to practically every other trade should not apply to them. It's ludicrous.

It is down to the chairman and board of directors as to whether they go foreign or not, and all this talk about foreigners damaging the English game is bollocks.

You cannot impose "6 and 5" legislation because, as stated above, it contravenes the freedom of movement and trade within EU.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Didn't there used to be a rule about the number of foreign players you could have and they took it away?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
The Freedom of Movement act does not neccessarily stop this from happening it will depend on how they implement it. The Act would cover the employment status of the player not whether he plays each week for the team. Therefore the restriction could be on the basis of each competiton and would not restrict the players freedom to sign for a club.
I know the counter arguement is why would a club pay for a foreign player and not play him? All I'm saying is this is a complicated situation and the Act doesn't not neccessary kill any chance of a solution.

Personally I think it's a good idea, and should be restricted to true homegrown status as Brighton in their current situation would probably win the league, Cup and European Cup by default. :D

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
sten_super said:
This will surely just get thrown out as soon as the G14 challenge it. There is no way to limit the number of EU players in a team, due to the freedom of movement of workers idea which is entirely central to EU policy. FIFA petitioned originally (when this challenge was first raised) to be considered as a 'special case', and was rejected. There's no reason for the EU to reverse this judgement now.

When did the EU reject a claim for football to be a "special case"?

I didn't realise they have ever made a judgement. I remember seeing a couple of years back that they were prepared to "consider" football to be a special case, but didn't realise anything had ever happened to force them to actually decide.

Lethargic, I'm not sure that you're right. If it is true that such a restriction is not hampered by the EU freedom of movement idea, then why were the original restrictions on non-english players playing in Europe removed? It is my understanding that they were removed due to the implementation of free movement of individuals within the EU, although I may be wrong.

I have a feeling that while what you suggest may not fall foul of that restriction, it would be descriminatory against non-english/british players, and would probably fall foul of some other EU or UK law!

Gritt23 said:
When did the EU reject a claim for football to be a "special case"?

I didn't realise they have ever made a judgement. I remember seeing a couple of years back that they were prepared to "consider" football to be a special case, but didn't realise anything had ever happened to force them to actually decide.

I've searched, and it appears I was wrong, and that a decision has never been taken. For some reason I thought that it had :dunce:

However, the EU has always strongly opposed protectionism within football, suggesting that they would be unlikely to suddenly relent and give football free reign to do what they want. It would, I suppose, depend upon exactly what self-governance was allowed by being a 'special case'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With this proposed new rule, there's nothing restricting the movement of players within the EU. Clubs can still buy up as many foreigners as they like, as long as no more than 5 of them are actually on the pitch at any one time. They'll still be employed, they'll still be on the payroll. It just means clubs would have to be VERY selective on the quality of foreigners they sign, as they can only actually field 5 of them.

Can't see the problem with that. It'll never happen though, as there's too much money involved in transfers to start trying to restrict it. Lots of podgy fingers in lots of big, lucrative pies. FIFA will pay lip service to this kind of thing, but they'll never actually bother implementing anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here