Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shithouse Sussex Outposts - East Grinstead

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Today I paid a trip to Mid/West Sussex outpost East Grinstead, just on the border with them Surrey lot. Here are my findings:

It was shit.

Despite some half decent olde architecture and historical buildings the town looks dilapidated and uncared for. Furthermore as a destination for shopping it is a total waste of time with a high street boasting only mobile phone shops and a large 99p store where the Woolworths used to be. All the former Thresher premises (of which there are many) are empty shells with no new tenants and even the splendid old Midland bank building has lost its HSBC tenants and is now home to some beggars from the Rotary Club who molest passers by for donations. It's criminally shit.

You'd think in somewhere so depressing and gloomy there'd be plenty of watering holes to drown your sorrows in but NO, the few measly pubs that are there are beyond dreadful, if they're even open. I had a pint in the only hospitable looking place, a recently refurbished Youngs pub called The Ship, where I was the ONLY customer. It was uncomfortable as the seats had had the cushions ripped off them and stolen.

Where once was the well stocked independent record shop Jingles is now some two bit nothing shop and I wandered the entire town centre only to discover that there isn't a single place to buy cd's or records anymore. In fact the only store with any suggestion of entertainment was the Blockbuster video on the high street. It was also empty, not just of customers but of stock too.

What a depressing little town. It left me wondering whether I'd even choose to live there over the miserable pit of Burgess Hill. I concluded that at least Burgess Hill is close to Brighton so has ONE redeeming feature, which is TWO more than East Grinstead has.

So what Sussex towns or villages have you been less than impressed with?

And don't just say Crawley because everyone already knows that's shit

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some good rock climbing near there though at Harrisons Rocks.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Got to be Hastings for me,

Didn't get bombed enough during the war

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uckfield isn't great but Worthing and surrounding areas are pretty dire. Bexhill and Hastings are to be avoided as well.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Is that the place near the reservoir?

Yeah, lovely in summer. Also got scientology hq compound nearby. Very creepy place. And as for shit outposts may I offer up Three Bridges and The Snooty Fox pub opo station.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Chichester. Seems promising [Cathedral, Festival Theatre etc.] but it's just turning into a collection of retail parks and industrial estates trapped on an island in a sea of traffic.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Winnie the Pooh comes from Sussex.

Not quite.

The Hundred Acre Wood is based on Ashdown Forest.

Winnie was the name of a bear a Canadian soldier had in WW1 named after Winnipeg.

Today I paid a trip to Mid/West Sussex outpost East Grinstead, just on the border with them Surrey lot. Here are my findings:

I'm from East Grinstead and agree with the above. It would be better IF the railway line went anywhere NEAR the London / Brighton line (thanks Dr. Beeching for getting rid of THAT) and while it was a lot better when I was younger I'm glad I'm not living there anymore.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well this is it, it was never a GREAT place but in my youth I spent a bit of time there and it wasn't entirely horrible. It just seems to have gotten stuck in the past and is making no effort to bring itself into the modern age.

Also what's going on with the Bluebell line extension? They seem to have been working on that FOREVER but does it actually work yet? It's a nice idea BUT in all honesty what use is a train service to Sheffield Park, Horsted Keynes and Kingscote? Unless you live in one of these places you're hardly likely to want to visit. If the town were connected to the rest of Sussex (East Grinstead is the only station on its train line in the county) then it might have stood better hope of prosperity.

At least they have half decent trains now, mind. For years the East Grinstead line was renowned for having the last stock of slam door trains in the UK. Now they have the nice Electrostar trains in Southern livery that we get on the Victoria line.

Incidentally I note that the building that housed the heavily bombed cinema is now called The Whitehall again, housing a grotty little nightclub that was formerly Martines, once voted WORST nightspot in Britain in a magazine poll.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I got away with a parking ticket in East Grinstead because the notification plate on the pole was obscured by a bush...

Not like Gestapo-zone parking enforcement in the BN region :US:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Actually parking was fairly easy. Whilst I could easily have parked on a street somewhere I ended up in one of the pay and display car parks as it was only £2 for 4 hours. I think the same amount of time in a Brighton centre car park would cost you over a tenner.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think i'm right in saying EG is a palace town, grrrrrr

South Coast Eagle

Oct 2, 2009
Burgess Hill's ok, the inlaws live there & I found it a very pleasant village. Apart from that I haven't really had the pleasure of bimbling around Sussex other than Brighton.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't think you can call Burgess Hill a village. It has a shopping centre and a theatre for a start.

Lindfield doesn't. That's a village

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here