Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt Lifters

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Why do players take their shirts off after scoring. It's a silly rule but they know it's a yellow card every time, increasing the chances of suspensions over a season.
Must drive managers mental.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its unbelievably stupid. If I were a manager, I'd go POSTAL on a player who did that. What a completely ridiculous reason to get yourself booked.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I think it's acceptable in certain circumstances. Aguero took his shirt off after that late goal to grab the title last season...

Having to book players for taking their shirts off after scoring a goal is a completely ridiculous rule anyway.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Having to book players for taking their shirts off after scoring a goal is a completely ridiculous rule anyway.

I've read a couple of reasons - time wasting and not displaying the sponsor logo when the camera is most likely to be on the player - crowd incitement is also mentioned.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stupidest rule in the world to give a player a yellow for taking his shirt off.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Probably. But why does a player feel COMPELLED to do it anyway? What is the point?

I'd agree with you if players did it all the time, goal after goal. But when a a player scores an absolute screamer or an important goal, why not?

I've read a couple of reasons - time wasting and not displaying the sponsor logo when the camera is most likely to be on the player - crowd incitement is also mentioned.

They are fair reasons but IMO it's just taking away the atmosphere. Much like the stewards asking people to constantly sit down.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If your buff you wanna show your six pack off

As Tom mentions above - nobody in any other sport seems incapable of keeping their shirt on when they score, and I daresay there are rugby players, basketball players and american footballers who are a lot more HENCH than your average soccerballer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Daft thing to do anyway. What ever happened to the good old fashioned hand shake.

Baaaa humbug.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
As Tom mentions above - nobody in any other sport seems incapable of keeping their shirt on when they score, and I daresay there are rugby players, basketball players and american footballers who are a lot more HENCH than your average soccerballer.

Not true.

This was a great sporting moment.

andrew-flintoff2_1717764c.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I liked it when Vicente did it. It was an act of passion, good to see.

Perfect example. He scored again about 5 minutes later, and managed to overcome the desire to rip off his top. He managed to display his passion that time by running to the corner and celbrating with his team-mates.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its still not as stupid as falling foul of it.

I don't actually agree. I think a lot of players when they score are feeling EUPHORIC, and pretty untouchable. Take your shirt off, absolute FREEDOM. Great times. Rule needs to be binned, it's retarded.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't actually agree. I think a lot of players when they score are feeling EUPHORIC, and pretty untouchable. Take your shirt off, absolute FREEDOM. Great times. Rule needs to be binned, it's retarded.

Did no players prior to about 1998 ever feel EUPHORIC when they scored then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here