Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shift Work & The Albion

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
Really?
I worked 7-3 for 3 years and loved it, then my company introduced shift work and I was doing 11-7 every other week. I HATED it, I found myself hanging about killing time waiting to go to work, getting home late, cold, dark etc...
What do you prefer about it? Seriously because although I managed to find a new job I know there is talk of introducing shift work
here in the future ( I knew this before I signed up but better pay/location swung it for me)

Anyone? What are the positives of shift work? I want to psych myself up for the news when it comes...

Its whatever you prefer i guess. I work in a team of 5 working 4 on 4 off days and nights. We dont get holiday days to actually take but are paid these as part of our salary so we all realise that its give and take if you want time off so we all swap shifts regularly and it works very well. I get more time off than if i did mon-fri. Its nice to get different days off all the time and not just weekends plus generally shift work pays more.
Im lucky working a good shift pattern with good colleagues, some shift patterns may not be as good or as flexible.....for me missing the odd game is just part of shift work and not the end of the world....always got mates happy take my seat for a game.
If your on a set shift rota you can check all season what games you cant make and plan days off or shift swaps well in advance.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Hi guys,

A bit of advice is needed here. I have the opportunity to work for a good company with good prospects. The downside is that it would be shift work.

It would be a rota basis of 4 shifts on 4 shifts off; each shift is a 12 hour shift within an operating day of 8.00am to 8.00pm or an operating night of 8.00pm to 8.00am.

My dilemma is the fact I have a season ticket and live for going to Albion games. Has anyone had any experience of this type of shift work. How much did it disrupt you being able to get to Albion games?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can you swap shifts with other people? That's how I get by.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Still trying to understand what positives there are to shift work?

There are none really, always tired, work weekends, days off when no one else has, eat at strange times.

The only positive is i saw alot of my kids growing up, taking and picking them up from school etc, mixing with the milfs.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been working shifts for the last 11 years, currently on a 4 week cycle doing days and nights. Didn't buy a ST last year as I was worried about missing games but the only games I missed were ones I couldn't get tickets for.
Got a ST this year and when the fixtures came out I needed to take leave for 5 or 6 games. I got one Saturday refused but managed to swap with a colleague.
Got to be worth contacting your prospective employer and asking if you are able to take part shifts off and swap shifts.

Benefits to me of working shifts are I only work 14 days out of every 28 and get an extra £550ish a month (plus I get overtime bank holidays if I have to work).

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I used to do 4 on 4 off years back. It worked really well for me as I had an arrangement with a guy who was a season ticket holder at Arsenal who was on the opposite rotation to me. If Brighton were at home & Arsenal away, if I was rostered on shift, he would cover me & vice versa. There were times when it obviously wouldn't work, but on those times I would take half a days leave or do a shift swap with somebody else. I never missed any home games.

When I moved onto a five on, three off pattern, it was even easier. On those times when I was rostered a late shift on a Saturday, I would shift swap or use a lieu day which I had accumulated. Shift work & The Albion is always a tricky juggling act but it can be done, as long as you have an employer who is half flexible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here