Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherry's, Pink Coconut, Paradox etc......

boik

Went to the coconut a few times but not really my sort of place. I did however go to many gigs at "Extremes"(??) a basement club a couple of doors along. Saw some great bands there. Have I got that name right?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As a big tourist and clubbing town why has the building/disco never been used by one of the 'names' by which I mean Cream, Ministry etc? There must be a huge market for these big name DJ's.

in the 90's at least, and early 00's the big DJs did regularly play the Zap, Escape, others etc. i always put the lack of a super club down to the proliferation of medium sized clubs, along with no really big place for a superclub.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone remember Bobby Samson band at Jenkinsons?

I had the misfortune to work in Jenkinsons for a short time, not sure they were there when I was there. It was a pretty shit club though!

I also remember the Art Collge basement with it's very low ceiling. You didn't want to suffer from claustrophobia in that place when it was packed! Not convinced many of us would have survived if there had been a fire!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's probably timely for someone to document the history of Brighton clubs since the war before they all fall down. I was brought up on going to the Archade on the West Steet side of Sherrys, winning some Players Weights in a penny slot machine and going over to the newly opened Top Rank Suite on a Saturday morning (previously we used to go to the Regent Ballroom on a Saturday morning - around 1963/4). Anyone remember the Barn, almost next door?
It's a shame such a unique and historic place like Sherrys has been allowed to deteriate to a state where is wouldn't be economical to restore it. However my personal preference would be this over the Hippodrome.
Sherrys was a great place to go in the 70s with the already mentioned resident bands in the summer. Place had loads of character and probably less trouble than other places. Used to use the Susex Sports Centre a lot for a cheap fuel up before the usual rounds of Bosun and Queen Ann before Sherrys. Happy days.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Anyone remember the junction ? toppers and rumours and that old classic shithole night fever ??!!

boik

Went to the coconut a few times but not really my sort of place. I did however go to many gigs at "Extremes"(??) a basement club a couple of doors along. Saw some great bands there. Have I got that name right?

Just checked on street view, and it seems the place that I was thinking of was under what is now Revolution, and was at one time a mongolian restaurant. Ring any bells?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds like The Basement. I only went there a few times right at the end just before it closed late 1996/early 1997.

That's it. The Vault was under the resources center wasn't it. I went to the Basement 20 years earlier than you . . . . all spikey hair, stockings and leather mini skirts then. No idead what I saw in it :whistle::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's probably timely for someone to document the history of Brighton clubs since the war before they all fall down. I was brought up on going to the Archade on the West Steet side of Sherrys, winning some Players Weights in a penny slot machine and going over to the newly opened Top Rank Suite on a Saturday morning (previously we used to go to the Regent Ballroom on a Saturday morning - around 1963/4). .

My mum and dad met in the Regent ballroom. But I can't hear it mentioned without thinking of that Pete and Dud sketch, the content of which I cannot possibly recount here, albeit it involved an ant and a nipple, and ended along the lines of 'what a way to run a ****ing nightclub'. I'm sure someone can post a clip.

Thanks for the post. I love all this stuff :cheers:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That's it. The Vault was under the resources center wasn't it. I went to the Basement 20 years earlier than you . . . . all spikey hair, stockings and leather mini skirts then. No idead what I saw in it :whistle::lolol:

It was indie/grunge/brit-pop when I was there!

I think U2 played their first UK gig there way-back-when as well.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Sherrys in the week was grab a granny night. I remeber the ice ring before it became the top rank suite full of skin heads and smoothies. The ice rink was shit as ice hockey was lost when SSBrighton was closed and I can remeber watching at Christmas the wizard of oz on ice pantomime at the SS Brighton. 60s70s 80s a bit of a blur know. :facepalm:

Used ice rink in 1969 - when skinheads emerged on Easter Monday on the seafront for the first time. We were sold a pup with the rink because it wasn't big enough for hockey. As a consequence it closed at the time of 1971 party conferences. It was replaced with the Odeons as I recall and the Top Rank Suite continued in the same format.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hungry Years took some beating for the rocksters. Pulled many a hottie in there back in the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here