Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherlock Holmes

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, there was a whiff, a mere rumour, a careless whisper of Dr Who but it worked for this viewer.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought it was brilliant stuff. I'm glad that didn't do a Victorian Holmes - Brett nailed that part - and the updating worked a treat.

I liked the way that the story is basically the same as the first Holmes story - with just a little twist.

Great stuff

Oh, and I guessed it was Mycroft

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Yeah, was pretty enjoyable. Tip of the hat to Princess Bride spotted as well. "Never go in against a sicilian when death is on the line..."

Will be checking out the rest of the series...

Missed the first 20' or so but will definitely be trying to watch the rest (holiday and lack of Sky+ may hinder that). I love Sherlock Holmes, the original books, the Jeremy Brett TV series and also "Murder Rooms" which featured a young Conan Doyle and the real life inspiration for Holmes, Dr Joseph Bell (superbly played by the late Ian Richardson).

I thought that they captured the spirit of the character brilliantly and, as someone has already noted, you soon forgot that it wasn't set in Victorian times. Honourable mention for Martin Freeman as Watson, have admired him since "Tim" in "The Office" who uncannily resembled in character someone I used to work with.

Another excellent BBC drama, I will forgive them "Total Wipeout" for that. Stitch that ITV.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
did not see it advertised...wis it to be repeated, or can i see it on repeat anywhere

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sherlock Holmes started and ended with Basil Rathbone. Anything else is mere triviality.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Took to the last post to find someone who didn't like it.

Did Rathbone do a TV series as Holmes because this new Sherlock is a tv series, not a movie. Rathbone was good but so was last nights version.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I didn't say I didn't like it I didn't even see it ?????!!!!!. For me Rathbone IS Holmes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sherlock Holmes started and ended with Basil Rathbone. Anything else is mere triviality.

You're missing out though. You've missed Jeremy Brett, the best 'traditional' Homes I've seen, and you missed last night's effort which was great fun.

It's your loss

Dandyman

In London village.
Like others - enjoyed it a lot, including the knowing nods to the original Holmes and the modern readings of the character. I normally regard most of BBC1 as dreck so this was a nice suprise.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The first drama I have watched on the Beeb for many years. It was watchable, bordering on enjoyable, I guess - I may watch the other 2. It definitely loses something, bringing it up to date, but I guess it's been covered by so many people, it has to be done differently in some way (rather an improvment on putting Roger Moore in the role abnd setting it on NY). I did feel it was a little "dumbed down" in that typical BBC way. Martin Freeman was pretty good, not quite sure about the Holmes guy though. A little prdictable in places, the mystery guy was so obviously Mycroft and Moriaty was always going to be mentioned at the end.

Still not a patch on the books.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Understandable that you'd have such a blinkered viewpoint when it seems to refuse to give other versions even a cursory glance.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You're missing out though. You've missed Jeremy Brett, the best 'traditional' Homes I've seen, and you missed last night's effort which was great fun.

It's your loss

He's also missing out the books though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here