Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday - Back from the game match ratings.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Completely disagree with you on these four points.

Bruno was constantly out of position and weak in the tackle. Made 2 or 3 key errors (one for the goal that cost us the game) and then argued with the other defenders as if it were their fault. Not that he's a bad player, just had a bad game in my opinion.
JFC played in Buckley for the one-on-one in the second half (which should have one us the game), so he contributed something which could well have been crucial to the outcome of the match. Him and Lingard (and March once) were the only players willing to pick the ball up in between the Sheff Wed defence and midfield and try to run at their defence. Lingard also ran the channels well but was not supported by a very weak Rodriguez.

As for Oscar, the football we play is a million times more entertaining than the drivel we saw from Sheff Wed tonight, lumping it forward at every opportunity and attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. If you watch Top level football all around Europe, you can see what we play is the trend and clearly is the way forward. I appreciate we may be missing a few players to complete the team but it will come.

KS

(Back in York)

I go more with Kingston Seagull on the analysis. JFC has had some stick for his performance - but I felt he was contributing a lot. Sheffield Wednesday were appalling for most of the match - or perhaps we had much more desire because we won so much of the ball and kept it for most of the match. Yes we are not clinical, but Rodriguez, Lingard and Buckley was a pretty patched up strike force. Buckley scored twice at Bolton and should have done so here too. (Still in Sheffield)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Completely disagree with you on these four points.

Bruno was constantly out of position and weak in the tackle. Made 2 or 3 key errors (one for the goal that cost us the game) and then argued with the other defenders as if it were their fault. Not that he's a bad player, just had a bad game in my opinion.

Poor bloke is relied on to be our sole quality offensive outlet and to defend, not a surprise to me he gets caught out of position, maybe he should be playing Right Wing in a Lopez sort of role? I know he's been tried in midfield before without it really paying off but in my opinion we need him on the pitch because it's the only way we get a decent attack started. I'd be frustrated if I had to carry around half the team on my shoulders as well.

JFC played in Buckley for the one-on-one in the second half (which should have one us the game), so he contributed something which could well have been crucial to the outcome of the match. Him and Lingard (and March once) were the only players willing to pick the ball up in between the Sheff Wed defence and midfield and try to run at their defence. Lingard also ran the channels well but was not supported by a very weak Rodriguez.

A single ball doesn't make for a good performance. It is good he's willing to get on the ball but somewhat pointless when he can't do anything with it.

As for Oscar, the football we play is a million times more entertaining than the drivel we saw from Sheff Wed tonight, lumping it forward at every opportunity and attempting to capitalise on opposition mistakes. If you watch Top level football all around Europe, you can see what we play is the trend and clearly is the way forward. I appreciate we may be missing a few players to complete the team but it will come.

I lost count of the number of times our players aimlessly hoofed it up to our lone striker expecting something to happen or the number of times we 'tried' to play a ball over the top only for our players to not come close to chasing it down. We might be able to **** about with it in midfield more but when it comes down to it the football we play is pretty similar to a lot of teams in this league.

KS

(Back in York)

See quote.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Bruno - stupid flick to put them through for the goal.

Oh, and not good to see Kusczak and Bruno squaring up to each other.

This is also the affect on me when I watch Bruno - such an irritating player! Yeah yeah lovely flicks sometimes, which don't actually affect the play when they come off apart from looking like good showboating .....but when he f*cks them up they often lead to him being hopelessly out of position and/or gift a goalscoring chance to the opposition.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Wasn't there last night, but reading through the posts you would think you were back reading some of the ones of last season. The problems are still the same: can't convert chances made, no backup striker,poor m/field and a cockup in defence when we should have had the game sown up. This is BHA you're following, a team of players some on loan ,some coming to the end of their carrear and some lacking real quality. People need to realise that the club has come a long way very quickly and it will take maybe abit longer to get where Bloom wants to be.

Keith at Work

Jul 28, 2003
Wasn't there last night, but reading through the posts you would think you were back reading some of the ones of last season. The problems are still the same: can't convert chances made, no backup striker,poor m/field and a cockup in defence when we should have had the game sown up. This is BHA you're following, a team of players some on loan ,some coming to the end of their carrear and some lacking real quality. People need to realise that the club has come a long way very quickly and it will take maybe abit longer to get where Bloom wants to be.

Well said, Apache, well said.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sad but true.

Buckley, for the first, was one on one and for some reason tried to square it, but unfortunately crossed straight to Onyewu.

The second was as good a chance as you'll get in a game of football. Clean through one on one, no defender within 5 yards of him. You take one of those two chances and we're 1 up, and wouldn't have been so short at the back for their goal (all hypothetical of course). As I said, without Ulloa we look hopeless up front.

Oh, and not good to see Kusczak and Bruno squaring up to each other.
Well I suppose you could say at least it shows one or both of them cares :)

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
This match won't live long in my memory, won't give ratings, as I agree with previous posts.
But I must say I thought Stephen Ward played his heart out last night and battled for everything.
PIG made a couple of great saves in the 2nd half.
No place in a depleted side for KLL and Solly !!
Good turn out for a Tuesday night, with a 4/5 hour journey home for us all, wish MOST of the players had acknowledged that after the game.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
This match won't live long in my memory, won't give ratings, as I agree with previous posts.
But I must say I thought Stephen Ward played his heart out last night and battled for everything.
PIG made a couple of great saves in the 2nd half.

Completely agree.

If we can keep the current back 5, or perhaps even bring in a younger center half alongside Upson, then we've got a back 5 that won't concede many goals. They are very solid, and Ward has been a great addition considering the expectations carried over from Wayne Bridge last year. I guess the issue is wages, with FFP and all that.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Anyone know whether we kicked off the first half or the second? And anyone know the away attendance?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Anyone know whether we kicked off the first half or the second? And anyone know the away attendance?

Second half. OB said we'd sold 350 through the club and they were expecting 50 potg. Suspect you'll want a better figure than that though...

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Just back from the game, after staying over last night in Sheffield.......

Really missed Ulloa, unfortunately Rodriguez really struggled, highlighted by his 'shot' from about 40 yards out in the first half. Shame Hoskins isn't quite there as this could have been perfect for him.

Would like to have seen Kaz on earlier for a different option of attack.

Other results seem to have kept us in it....just. Come 17:00 Saturday afternoon, we might be right back in it.....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Text from Wednesday supporting mate who was at the game:

"You were robbed! Should have wrapped it up way before end. Kirkland made 3 or 4 great saves but 2nd half you didn't go for it and try and kill us off."

Says it all really. Sounds like with a little bit more positivity we would be 3 points better off.

Jul 20, 2003
Good going getting from Sheffield to Brighton in quick time. Helipad at your home?

......sorry, but that is just a really unnecessary unpleasant comment and the kind of thing I don't like about this site ........... Jumping on any opportunity to have a pop at someone .... bad form :moo:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I was there.
1 Rodriguez is a waste of space.
2 Bruno is a liability and should be replaced by Calde who has more energy and "passion".
3 Kuszcak is an excellent keeper but his distribution is not so good. Suspect the manager wants him out.
4 Ward was very good again.
5 Upson and Greer are very good as is Dunk.
6 Ince is excellent and Oscar deserves credit for this.
7 Lingard's best game but am not convinced yet.
8 Time for a British manager I'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here