Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheff Wed sign Clinton Morrison

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He was shit five years ago, I can't see that he's improved much.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Except on the website at the weekend, after signing Barnes, when Poyet said he was still on the look out for another striker (three or four players in total). Or is that not enough of an indication for you. Would you like Poyet to update the Argus every day on his targets so you can check them and make sure they meet your approval.

As for a central defender, I would imagine that you were one of the first to slag off Elphick and El Abd last season. We have been lacking an experienced centre half since Butters left and to get a captain from another League 1 side (who finished well above us last year) is fantastic. I can't believe that you are so negative that you cannot see that.

Yeah, we've really lacked an experienced centre half since Butters left...oh hang on, we've had Adam Virgo for the last 2 seasons. Of course signing Greer isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly going to change much when our defence was the main reason for the success at the end of last season anyway.

Poyet has been saying for the last 2 months that he's "very close to signing a new contract" - he hasn't, so if he says he's "on the look out for a striker" it isn't really an indication that he's going to get one, especially when you see our rivals signing them.

Doesn't help either that Bloom is being a bit of a tight bastard about transfer fee's this summer - we're breaking even at the moment I would have thought. That needs to change if we're going to have any hope of promotion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yeah, we've really lacked an experienced centre half since Butters left...oh hang on, we've had Adam Virgo for the last 2 seasons. Of course signing Greer isn't a bad thing, but it's hardly going to change much when our defence was the main reason for the success at the end of last season anyway.

Poyet has been saying for the last 2 months that he's "very close to signing a new contract" - he hasn't, so if he says he's "on the look out for a striker" it isn't really an indication that he's going to get one, especially when you see our rivals signing them.

Doesn't help either that Bloom is being a bit of a tight bastard about transfer fee's this summer - we're breaking even at the moment I would have thought. That needs to change if we're going to have any hope of promotion.

So basically at the moment you are trying to put money on us to go down (which I would never do even if I thought we would go down), complaining about our signings and even moaning about us signing a player that we haven't even signed (Valles). Maybe you should chill out and be pleased at the squad we are putting together rather than moaning all the time.

As for the squad, Virgo was not the steady head and leader we needed at the back and we have brought in Greer to fulfil that role. He sounds like a fantastic signing to me and I am delighted. It will probably help our defence and bring a lot of competition.

The contract thing is mildly annoying, however he is not out of contract so it only becomes relevant around Christmas time when he has only 6 months left on the current deal. As for Bloom being "a bit of a tight bastard", I assume to make that statement you have invested millions into the club. Also, Poyet seems to have spent well bringing in Painter and Sparrow for free and Barnes for what seems to be a cheap deal so it is not a case of being tight, more that we are spending wisely. Or would you rather we just threw away cash on poor signings?

Diatribe

Feb 3, 2007
wednsday have a decent squad together, southampton, peterbro too. that's probably the top three in some order, not sure which. that leaves the three other playoff teams, swindon, hudds, and charlton, not sure about their businesses but they will be up there. maybe not swindon. gonna be tight for the top 6 for us.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You yourself said El-Abd and Elphick's form was 'freakish' at the end of last season thus suggesting it is unlikely they could repeat it. So surely by your own admission we needed a central defender because Elphick and El-Abd are unlikely to maintain their freakish form?

I didnt think we needed to get rid of Virgo if it was just for the sake of bringing in a similar player.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Morrison is going to be crap. He's about 40 now isn't he? As was said earlier, with Mellor and Morrison leading the line, they will have no pace. That won't matter against some of the crap in this division, but I don't think they'll be a top 2 side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here