Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Warne

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
seagullion said:
and i thought you went for old ugly slow geezers:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Oi, I do the funnys round here when it comes to Tank, do ya get me? ;)

:lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
2 comments that sum the bloke up:
I think it was around the Edgebaston test, he was being interviewed and he said something like; "I just need to get a few wickets now and they might start calling me an all-rounder!" :lolol:

The other was today at the post-match awards:
I counted at least three times where is said "we were outplayed by England" - for a top competitive sportsman, I respect that, esp as they have been so dominant for so long. :bowdown:

Credit to the ledgend who shall be rememberd for his first ever ball in test cricket - "the Gatting destroyer" :eek:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To those who took offence at my cunning plan to foil him the other day: all I can say is that I was 100% joking- his unerring ability to get English batsmen out has frustrated the hell out of all of us for years, and has been exactly the same all series. I meant it as nothing but a compliment.

Warne has been English cricket's ultimate pantomime villain for years- see many of the comments above- but he is an absolute genius with the ball and if there was one Australian who didn't deserve to lose that series it was him. Let's be honest, what would we give for a bowler like him?

He's been utterly infuriating to watch, principally because even after all these years, you still get the feeling our batsmen have absolutely no idea how to play him, and because no matter how well set they are, or how flat the pitch, he still puts the fear of God into them.

To his credit, I thought he (and to be fair all the Aussies I've seen so far) took defeat very well.

It was great to see the banter between Warne and the crowd towards the end of the game, and even more so the reception he got at the end.

Shane, you've been annoyingly talented over the years: boy will the game be poorer without you next tour.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PS thanks for dropping that catch ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's been awesome, both on and off the pitch. I think you have to say that the Australians have done themselves proud with their sportsmanship. In fact, the whole game of cricket this series has stood as a testiment to what sport is all about - two world class, evenly matched sides battling it out amid great sportsmanship. It was great to see the Oval crowd give Warne and McGrath a standing ovation at the end of our innings today. I can't praise the atmosphere highly enough: everyone having a good time, getting pissed, watching one of the all time great series.

Contrast that to the nation's footballers. A bunch of overpaid, thick, inarticulate, nasty players who can't even beat Northern Ireland and fight among themselves. And then there's the people who watch England; a significant proportion of whom delight in their "hardness" spend their time snarling, abusing and fighting because they pathetically think they're better than anyone else.

Football, in many respects, has got a lot to learn about what sport is really about from cricket and rugby.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He and McGrath will both be missed. They are top bowlers!

And we beat 'em! :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Possibly Jason Gillespie has been the exception to the sportsmanship rule.

I noticed him whimpering about the crowds getting on his back (here's a clue Jason, if you hadn't been bowling like a complete buffoon they might not have bothered), saying how unacceptable it was.

I trust he will be as angry when the next hapless English fielder has to stand in front of Bay 13 at the MCG for four hours on a bank holiday afternoon when the crowd have already drained the Australian national reserves of Tooheys and VB.

:lolol:

But the rest have been lovely, I even saw grumpy Matthew Hayden smile briefly today, as well as congratulating Pietersen on his century when they went off for tea.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
From the moment he bowled THAT ball to Gatting i have always held the greatest repect for him as a bowler. There will be no spinner to match his talent, albeit that *cough CHUCKER cough*
Murali may overtake him eventually as leading wicket taker, he will never earn the respect of cricket fans like Warne has.

Roll on Sussex V Hampshire next year so we can abuse the fat aussie :censored::jester:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Buzza said:
He and McGrath will both be missed. They are top bowlers!

And we beat 'em! :)

What he said
:clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here