Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane MacGowan on 'The Frank Skinner Show'

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I don't understand, that if someone choices not to be healthy - surely they have that right. As long as they don't burden the rest of us financially, or by being rude etc....
We should celebrate the fact we can be different, even if his lifestyle doesn't suit you, doesn't make it wrong.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
And what harm is he doing? He's living in Tipperary somewhere somewhere and is gonna go back on tour with The Pogues and is thinking about making another studio album, what harm is he doing, exactly?

this is exactly what I'm trying to say about this attitude ( and not very clearly by the looks of things!)
It is not good enough to say 'what harm is he doing, he's tucked away somewhere lonely getting drunk'. He is not a man in isolation. His drinking will be harming someone. Maybe not you or me -to us it might be funny, eccentric or just sad. But there must be people around him who have been very badly harmed by his choices.
What we do has an effect on other people, full stop. We can only have this live & let live attitude if we shut ourselves away from society altogether - I don't think that is what you are proposing?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The George Best argument is dodgy. Would give someone who had been in a car crash an organ transplant if they needed it?
Answer probably yes.
What if the car crash was their fault? Maybe they even killed other people in the crash.

We can't play God and shouldn't be judgemental.

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
n1 gull said:
I don't understand, that if someone choices not to be healthy - surely they have that right. As long as they don't burden the rest of us financially, or by being rude etc....
We should celebrate the fact we can be different, even if his lifestyle doesn't suit you, doesn't make it wrong.

I'm not making a moral judgement on Shane MacGowan, not am I saying I don't like his lifestlye. I am saying that what he chooses to do does have a negative impact on the society around him.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Best has been sober for 67 days and judging by the photos in the NOTW look in pretty good nick. Its amazing the amount of abuse a body can take, he was on 1 bottle of Brandy and 2 bottles of wine a day.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
oldham gull said:
this is exactly what I'm trying to say about this attitude ( and not very clearly by the looks of things!)
It is not good enough to say 'what harm is he doing, he's tucked away somewhere lonely getting drunk'. He is not a man in isolation. His drinking will be harming someone. Maybe not you or me -to us it might be funny, eccentric or just sad. But there must be people around him who have been very badly harmed by his choices.
What we do has an effect on other people, full stop. We can only have this live & let live attitude if we shut ourselves away from society altogether - I don't think that is what you are proposing?

Not at all, he was talking about how he loved and lost because of his drinking and is clearly aware that he's hurting someone, it's not like he's being selfish or owt. You seem to have made up your mind that he couldn't give a shit about anyone else but himself, this is clearly not the case. Who are we to judge??

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
I am not judging him. I'm sure he has got some huge regrets. What I am questioning is our attitude and the fact that we seem to believe it doesn't really matter what we do with our lives. He is a clear example that it does matter and that we don't live in isolation - that is what I am trying to challenge!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
But he's not living in isolation, if he was I think he would be dead. He's going back on tour for crying out loud, he can clearly still operate, just in a different way to how society dictates we should.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
n1 gull said:
The George Best argument is dodgy. Would give someone who had been in a car crash an organ transplant if they needed it?
Answer probably yes.
What if the car crash was their fault? Maybe they even killed other people in the crash.

We can't play God and shouldn't be judgemental.
I didnt mean only give people a new liver who deserve one. I meant that if someone has been given a new liver because of their lifestyle and then been given a second chance and still continued to damage that one should they be given another one over someone who wouldnt waste it. I understand the playing god arguement and obviously wouldnt allow someone to die if one were available.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Who are you to say whether someone else's lifestyle is healthy or not?

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
fatboy said:
Who are you to say whether someone else's lifestyle is healthy or not?

Are you seriously going to put forward a coherant argument to say that his lifestyle is healthy?!! I'd like to see you try!
Irrespective of the impact on his own body, I am suggesting that the way he is living is not healthy for those around him.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I don't know anything about him to be honest but if someone chooses to drink to excess I don't think they are necessarily harming others.

For a start he made great entertainment for however many millions (?) of people watched the FS show.

Perhaps it is better to live life to excess for 50 years, and not worry about irrelevant things like debt, then to live a monotonous life going to work everyday just so you can retire at 65 and struggle to get by on a state pittance.

People are able to make these choices and we should not judge them.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
As someone who has shelled out £30 notes for the Pogues sold out December reunion tour I watched last night's show in dismay and can't help wondering how he's gonna pull off a decent hour (or two!?) on stage. As stated before, the guy is a lyrical/musical genius who makes Liam Gallagher look like Charlotte Church on stage, but last night's show and all the talk of his relationship breakdown was just a bit sad and just purile voyeurism for an audience who little understood or cared.
:drink:

Old Goat

Jun 8, 2004
I couldnt watch it - had to hide behind the settee - it was horrible.

I know someone who shagged him!! :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here