Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shane Duffy - 100 Premier League appearances.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
His distribution was actually as good as I can recall seeing from him yesterday, no hurried panic passing, all very composed and accurate in some pretty tight areas. If you were watching them for the first time you wouldn’t have been able to pick between Dunk & Duffy on that front.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is the bit I don't get regarding us dyed to the wool Albion lifers.

We've been bought up on a diet of blood and thunder, backs to the wall, thou shalt not pass centre backs.

Sure every once in a while we get a little treat.
A midfielder who likes to pass forward.
A winger who can occasionally run.
A player who can kickie ball into goal.

But they've all be backed up by a double hard b*****d.
It's all we know.

The Duffmans linage is embedded in all of us.

How can you dismiss him?

Off the top of my head...Morgan, Cullip, Greer, Crosby, Rougvie, Dublin, Bissett, May, McCarthy (rip), Upson, El Abd....

We've truly had some fantastic CBs down the years. Dunk and Duffy will likely top the lot. As a combo, it elevates them above everyone considering the level we are playing at now.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Always thought Duffy was a great defender but not so great with his football skills and his "Toblerone Boots" however yesterday I was eating humble pie as Shane was cool, calm and collected on the ball and very accurate with his passing.
He is clearly working hard at adapting to Potterball but looks a much better footballer for his efforts.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Great season so far. Too far off Mane yesterday on the second goal but shit happens, its not like Nesta and Maldini never conceded a goal.

Tough competition in the back three with everyone healthy but as long as he performs as he has, I think he'll remain in the starting eleven.

I’ll always say Dunk makes Duffy a better player, but what is probably under appreciated is that Duffy makes Dunk a better player. The partnership should never have been broken up but at least we are through that period now

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While the tweet is correct the thread title is inaccurate given that Duffy appeared for Everton in the PL.and therefore should be Shane Duffy - 105 Premier League appearances.

Boo. BOO!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Off the top of my head...Morgan, Cullip, Greer, Crosby, Rougvie, Dublin, Bissett, May, McCarthy (rip), Upson, El Abd....

We've truly had some fantastic CBs down the years. Dunk and Duffy will likely top the lot. As a combo, it elevates them above everyone considering the level we are playing at now.

Norman Gall, Fozzy, Lawro ? ???

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
His distribution was actually as good as I can recall seeing from him yesterday, no hurried panic passing, all very composed and accurate in some pretty tight areas. If you were watching them for the first time you wouldn’t have been able to pick between Dunk & Duffy on that front.

But this is why modern coaching, and the Potter way in particular, is so newsworthy. Shane Duffy has probably always been a much better footballer than any of us could ever imagine. However, he was (probably) schooled in his early professional days to be a proper, robust centre half and to give the ball to the more technically able players. Now with Potter being more confident in his methods and his squad, Shane Duffy, through some element of (ill) luck with teammates injuries, finds himself reunited with a ball playing team and, crucially, is told by Potter to have no fear (no recrimination inside the dressing room) to play the same way. Psychologically that must be unreal to a bloke who’s come off an awful experience both personally and professionally over the past couple of years. That’s what Potter’s doing for Shane and other Brighton teammates; play without fear (of recrimination).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In which case its criminal to leave Steve Foster off your list. Criminal!

And possibly also Guy Butters. Or not.....

Guy Butters is the very epitome of the point I'm trying to make, I knew there was one more name I wanted I just couldn't find it. (I was pinning it on Joel Lynch)

Butts rolls into town an out of shape south coast journeyman well into his 30's and derided by many (the less said about that the better)

Some 6 seasons and 200+ appearances later he retires from professional football and is lauded by all.

Why? - because he's was a blood and thunder, backs to the wall, thou shalt not pass centre back.

It's our DNA.

I've watched Trossard's goal on Saturday a bazillion times.
Completely enthralled by the skill, poise, balance and calmness, almost balletic in construct.

But it still doesn't get close to the same raw emotional phwoah that comes from a D & D sliding tackle, last ditch lunge at the ball.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In which case its criminal to leave Steve Foster off your list. Criminal!

And possibly also Guy Butters. Or not.....

You do know who the 'Fozzy' I named is, right? ???

Jul 20, 2003
I seem to remember (possibly incorrectly) Blackburn fans crowing that they'd mugged us when we bought Duffy.

In fairness he'd scored 2 own goals and got sent off in the game before we signed him.

Had £20 on him to score against Blackburn later that season ... Which was nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here