Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shaktar divided in unsportmanlike conduct

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The referee could have suggested to Shaktar to let them score

Referee's have zero control over these situations, if the ball is put out because someone is injured there is nothing in the laws to say it must be given back etc.... There is nothing the ref could do, especially suggesting they let a team score!! Other than maybe give a really soft penalty at the end to even things up.....

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
I don't really see how the ref can allow that. HE stopped the game, the other team didn't knock the ball out, and then he gave a non-competitive drop-ball, so the Shaktar can give the ball the ball back.

Surely thats a major loophole in that rule if Shaktar don't return the ball. Otherwise everytime the ref stops the game for any injury, basically possession of the football will switch.

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
Referee's have zero control over these situations, if the ball is put out because someone is injured there is nothing in the laws to say it must be given back etc.... There is nothing the ref could do, especially suggesting they let a team score!! Other than maybe give a really soft penalty at the end to even things up.....

I realise that and the ref last night was put in a very difficult situation - and that's where I'm saying that Shaktar from the player up to the management showed no humility or common sense whatsoever, but a gentle nudge might have helped. It may well be that Morten Nordtrand went down like a sack of shit and I don't agree with the way the game was stopped for it. But it still takes a wanker(s) to run around a static opposition and keeper, stick it in the net and then celebrate, then for half a team to decide it was wrong but the other half not to. And we moan about the Premier League, there were more Brazilian on that pitch than play for Santos!

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
The player dived when he was not injured. Fully deserved what happened. It's probably the one thing that could make me stop watching football. Am sure he'll think twice before doing it again.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd personally, feel pretty embarrassed if Brighton done the same as Adriano, whatever the circumstances. The guy wasn't the first to ever try to get someone sent off from diving. As I said earlier, players cheat in every game to gain an advantage nowadays. That was no different. And again, as I said, Adriano also gained an advantage by what could be described as cheating.

Great, so players cheat in every game so that acceptable and nothing should be done about! Also, Adriano did not cheat. At worst, he can be accused of ungentlemanly conduct.

I don't really see how the ref can allow that. HE stopped the game, the other team didn't knock the ball out, and then he gave a non-competitive drop-ball, so the Shaktar can give the ball the ball back.

Surely thats a major loophole in that rule if Shaktar don't return the ball. Otherwise everytime the ref stops the game for any injury, basically possession of the football will switch.

Where in the laws of the game is this rule that you refer to?

I realise that and the ref last night was put in a very difficult situation - and that's where I'm saying that Shaktar from the player up to the management showed no humility or common sense whatsoever, but a gentle nudge might have helped. It may well be that Morten Nordtrand went down like a sack of shit and I don't agree with the way the game was stopped for it. But it still takes a wanker(s) to run around a static opposition and keeper, stick it in the net and then celebrate, then for half a team to decide it was wrong but the other half not to. And we moan about the Premier League, there were more Brazilian on that pitch than play for Santos!

Well he hardly ran screaming to the corner flag and saluting the crowd. Assuming Adriano was told by his teamate that there was no contact or actually saw what happened then I see no problem with what he did. When England lost to Portugal in 2006, everytime their players lost the ball they stayed on the ground feigning injury so play stopped and going from having the ball in the oppenents half and attacking, Portugal just booted the ball back to the defenders from an uncontested drop ball. It was clearly a deliberate ploy to break up play and ruined the game. What should happen is the player that feigned injury last night should get a ban.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
To balance things up, Adriano is shit

YouTube

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With all this hand-wringing of Adriano, is the overall moral philosophy on here one that ALL forms of play-acting by one person be punished as a goal being awarded against the team / to the opposition?

Not quite sure how you reach that conclusion. In future, maybe players will be less likely to go to ground so easily, although I doubt it, more likely that the defence will be more alert
which they could have done on this occassion.

From my perspective, the authorities and the players should do all they can to eradicate cheating from the game, whether that be diving, feigning injury, shirt pulling etc. Unfortunately, the authorities do bugger all. Retrospective bans would go some way but can't see it happening.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you lot need to look at how this 'injured' player went down in the first place. Think Rivaldo in a previous world cup, but worse. If anything, fair play to Adriano because the guy cheated by going down to try get someone sent off (where there was NO contact), and to get him back, Adriano punished him. Great scenes. Watch the whole clip before judgement!

The guy tried to get their man sent off. If he had succeeded the whole Shaktar team would have suffered - and I'm sure the opposition wouldn't have complained. What goes around....

I'm with Adriano on this one. Possibly the only way he could draw attention to behaviour without it being swept under the carpet.

The player dived when he was not injured. Fully deserved what happened. It's probably the one thing that could make me stop watching football. Am sure he'll think twice before doing it again.

Not quite sure how you reach that conclusion. In future, maybe players will be less likely to go to ground so easily, although I doubt it, more likely that the defence will be more alert which they could have done on this occassion.

The quotes above your quote all imply that a goal was an appropriate punishment for the opponent's play-acting.

From my perspective, the authorities and the players should do all they can to eradicate cheating from the game, whether that be diving, feigning injury, shirt pulling etc. Unfortunately, the authorities do bugger all. Retrospective bans would go some way but can't see it happening.

I don't suppose anyone is disagreeing with that, but that's a separate issue to what Adriano's was up to.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Shakhtar were giving the ball back in a sportsman like way and Adriano obviously decided otherwise - so yeah that is MORALLY wrong, thats all. Absolutely no cheating as the referee allowed it.

Although their player simply running into Adriano trying to get him sent off deserves a yellow and a free kick to Shakhtar for diving anyway. Adriano probably just wanted revenge .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Breaking news on ssn, Adrino has been charged with unsporting conduct by uefa.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well it's not surprising seeing how impotent and dumb Uefa and football authorities are that they charge Adriano but do nothing about the player that was apparently poleaxed by a Shaktar player and went down in a blatant attempt to get a fellow professional sent off or at the very least, booked!!! I'm not sure if the player even got medical treatment as Uefa have removed the video. Stinks of double standards but then what else would you expect.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Just seen an article about how Adrian is being charged with "Violation of the principles of conduct". Funny how people dive week in and week out and nothing is done as surely that is violation as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here