Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shakespeare........

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
At the danger of sounding snobbish, the majority of football fans will not be fans of Shakespeare, or of theatre in general. It is a taste, class and patience issue. It is impossible to have an entirely varied taste, everybody has dislikes, and as football and traditional theatre are like chalk and cheese to each other, it is understandable that many people don't "get" Shakespeare.

As a former student of Arts Ed, and with professional work as an actor, I am lucky to have the best of both worlds in experiencing the delights of football, theatre, musical theatre, opera, rock music, pop music.. if one decides to shut off an area of life as being for 'commoners' or being for 'toffs' then one misses out on a whole different culture of our society.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
edna krabappel said:
BAG, you really wanted to get the words iambic pentametres in there didn't you?

Just to confuse some people on here!

:lolol: :lolol:

Yeah!!!! :) Makes a change from the normal crap i post nowadays!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
jolson said:
At the danger of sounding snobbish, the majority of football fans will not be fans of Shakespeare, or of theatre in general. It is a taste, class and patience issue. It is impossible to have an entirely varied taste, everybody has dislikes, and as football and traditional theatre are like chalk and cheese to each other, it is understandable that many people don't "get" Shakespeare.

As a former student of Arts Ed, and with professional work as an actor, I am lucky to have the best of both worlds in experiencing the delights of football, theatre, musical theatre, opera, rock music, pop music.. if one decides to shut off an area of life as being for 'commoners' or being for 'toffs' then one misses out on a whole different culture of our society.

danger averted. That doesn't sound remotely snobbish. Or pretentious.;) :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
garry nelsons left foot said:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

this Palace/Old Bill/Anyone Playing the Albion hating commoner endured nearly 3 hours of the Bard's finest work last night...

whilst delighted that her indoors appreciated the evening so much (when we arrived at the Castle gates my brownie point counter raced up to maximium like a fruit machine's digital display after you've won the jackpot!) it was very long... no problem in Shakespeare's day when people were used to sitting around for hours but

I found my patience at times was tested
and happy was I when the spouting FINISH-ED...

i think they should cut the crap bits out and just leave the main storyline stuff in so it comes down to a more sensible length

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
So, if our defence is The Comedy of Errors, the midfield, Much Ado About Nothing, what about our forward line - presumbly, it must be a tragedy.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
scotjem said:
So, if our defence is The Comedy of Errors, the midfield, Much Ado About Nothing, what about our forward line - presumbly, it must be a tragedy.
they certainly didn't manage any Taming of the Shrews last night

(disappointed that today's Argus hasn't gone with their traditional variety of headline after a fixture with the Shropshire outfit...)

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
garry nelsons left foot said:

:wave:

Well, I'm glad you kept up! :lol:

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
Moshe Gariani said:
was very long... no problem in Shakespeare's day when people were used to sitting around for hours but

In Shakespeare's day they used to stand around for ages!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I'm amazed that anyone in Shakespeares theatre ever managed to procreate - holding the balls next to the body in those tights for days on end must have really wreaked havoc with the optimum sperm temperature.....

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
Tom Hark said:
come on... supply the next line... you know you want to... :jester:

They've all got it infamy! You set 'em up, I'll knock 'em down :cool:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Oh come on, a bit of Bill Skakes isn't all that bad! A Midsummer Night's Dream for exaple.. or even Romeo and Juliet.

These plots are always being updated and reused even today.. Starcrossed lovers, forbiden love..it's an evening watching ITV!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here