Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shabaan is an Awful Keeper!

jeremy beadles hand

Jul 31, 2003
Hangleton
Went to the game last night which was my first in a while and I thought Shabaan was awful in goal. Loads of times he should of been able to grab the ball instead kept punching it out. The ref should have sent him off or awarded a couple of penalties when he dived at players feet and not getting the ball.

I'm seriously worried about us getting the points we need to stay up with him in goal!

I thought Chris May who is getting released could probably do a much better job for us!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Although he doesn't command the area like Kuipers or Roberts, I feel you may be alone in those thoughts, certainly about Chris May.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
jeremy beadles hand said:
The ref should have sent him off or awarded a couple of penalties when he dived at players feet and not getting the ball.

I can only recall one such incident, and the ref gave a corner, so I can only assume he got the ball. I'd rather he punched than tried to make a difficult catch and dropped it, giving the striker an open goal. Just look at Liverpool's second goal in the derby at the weekend - fierce shot, Martyn could punch it or palm it over, tries to catch it, can't hold it, Garcia heads in. At least he's decisive.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think what has been noticeable is what a good keeper Kuipers is. For the criticism he gets from some quarters for not having world class distribution, his shot stopping and speed off his line make up for that.

Shabban seems to have a decent boot on him, but the thing that I noticed last night was how hesitant he was and at times how slow he was coming off his line.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't know about hesitant but I thought at times he showed no urgency and either put himself in trouble or was almost beaten to the ball by the forward.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think he had an off day last night. He has played well in most other games and none of the nine goals in the 2 games prior to last night were his fault.

But I do agree, he was shocking last night.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The shot he saved by puntching rather than simple catching the ball made me lose confidence a little in him. He was also a little slow in coming out for a few balls which he should have got.

He certainly hasn't looked Premiership quaility in the games so far for us (I have seen them all so i'm not just judging on last night!)

He is a million times better than Chris May though who is an ok shot stopper but when it comes to crossing and kicking he is no good and is far too short to make it as a keeper.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Bloody sad that no-one in this thread has even spelled our goalkeeper's name right. :nono:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I agree , Shaban is not up to it unfortunately. I believe he should of saved the goal last night and also should of saved 2 of Wigans goals. Haven't seen the Plymouth goals but 5 conceded suggests the defence arn't confident in front of him. Against Stoke , fair enough it was 2 penalties. Against Sunderland he had his best game for us (his 1st ala Yelldell)
Unfortunately we have no other options so must stick with him.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Should've stopped the goal? We'll he didn't get a much of a hand on it as the scorer did!

If anyone was at fault for the goal it was Virgo who allowed the cross in without pressuring the ball enough, but the cross was quality and Forster made a right pigs ear of it and got lucky...

Just unlucky, no one really at fault, bad decision by the ref, one of many...

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Just makes me realise how great Kuipers is and how godd Roberts is. YellDell and Rammi not as good as either of those 2

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Simster said:

But I do agree, he was shocking last night.

To have a shocking game and only let in one goal, which was a blatant handball, will do me until Kuipers returns.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here