Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexual assorts on children no longer a crime

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
:speechless:

Man escapes jail for sex attacks

A Jehovah's Witness has escaped a jail term after admitting a series of sexual assaults on children and adults in Clevedon.

Michael Porter, of Okehampton Close, north London, admitted 24 counts of indecent assault and gross indecency on 13 victims aged 18 months and older.

Among the individuals were others involved in the faith.

Judge Tom Crowther at Bristol Crown Court sentenced Porter to three years of community rehabilitation.

The judge opted not to jail Porter after hearing he had undergone therapy and was a changed man.

He was banned from working with anyone under the age of 18 and put on the Sex Offenders Register.

But Porter's sister, Tina Hughes, said: "I am absolutely disgusted. He should not have walked free.

Many of the families involved have been completely traumatised
Det Con Lisa Finch

"He has lost nothing. We have to tell the victims we have got no closure. He is an evil person. He is not human."

Det Con Lisa Finch, of Avon and Somerset Police, said: "Many of the families involved have been completely traumatised. It has turned their lives upside down."

Avon and Somerset Police are thought to be considering appealing against the sentence.

Norman Brennan, founder of the Victims of Crime Trust, said: "If we're to reassure parents and send out a strong deterrent message to paedophiles, then those convicted should face prison sentences that both punish and deter others."

The court was told that Porter, 38, carried out the assaults between 1986 and 2000.

Babysitting youngsters

He was a respected member of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Portishead and Clevedon.

Parents trusted him to look after their children, and he regularly babysat for youngsters, took them away on holidays and invited them for sleepovers at his home.

He finally admitted what he had done after one of his victims threatened to go the police.

Porter declined to comment as he left court with his wife.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6960166.stm

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
sickening is'nt it? sometimes I do wonder what the f*** the government do all day...obviously not righting the absolute obvious wrongs in todays society of corrupt MPs...oh wait!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I would like to know what the therapy is and how is it so successful??

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Let him go free.

Then give his address to the parents of the children he assaulted.

Justice done.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:ohmy::thud:

Seagull Stew

Makes you wonder what this Judge Tom Crowther gets up to in his spare time, don't you think?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As long as the 'therapy' was castration it's fine by me otherwise it's an utter disgrace and the judge concerned should be sacked.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That might stop visits to doorsteps by Jehovas Witnesses for a while, I am sure people would want to ask them how their church allowed him to go unchecked for so long and appears to be keen to let him remain a member...oh yeah, I forgot, they will forgive him for his sins...sorry, but some things cannot be forgiven and child abuse is one of them. He needs treatment, but for his safety and that of society it should be in a secure unit at least to begin with, I would not condone vigilantism in any way but suspect that not all the people of Bristol will take my reasoned view.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sexual assorts on children no longer a crime

and "Judge Tom Crowther at Bristol Crown Court sentenced Porter..."

Hmmm. it's a strange world where people are sentenced for something that's not a crime.

But yes, it seems an outrageously light sentence. The only reason that I can think of is that he pleaded guilty so the judge took into account that the children were spared testifying. Looks decidedly dodgy though.

Fixtures

Aug 12, 2007
Ah, the usual NSC lynch mob vigilantes seeking blood after reading a brief account of the case written by a journalist. I wonder how many lines the actual case transcript covers?

Seriously, after seeing how badly informed some of them were/are over Falmer, why don't people even stop to question the report? We all know this was a very serious offence, so there must have been some reason for the judge to put his neck on the block over it (he is likely to be smart enough to know that was what he was doing.) Still, plenty on here actually enjoy being 'Outraged of T. Wells.'

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
Brave post Mr Fix

I am as anti lynch mob as you but this guy has been found guilty in a court of law, he wasn't burnt at the stake on a rumour!

If we expect people found NOT guilty by a jury to walk free amomg us, we must have confidence in the system and if he has been found guilty by a jury we MUST accept that or the whole system fails.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Before we can say that the sentance was too short, does anyone actually know (or care given the 'outraged of oldham' type responses) what this guy did?

Apart of course from assorting some kids...

Before we can say that the sentance was too short, does anyone actually know (or care given the 'outraged of oldham' type responses) what this guy did?

Apart of course from assorting some kids...

Which confectioners sells these "sexual allsorts" then?

But seriously - this country's kids are the basis for the future - but it seems that the adults here are already a load of shit - so there goes that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here