Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexist comment of the week

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
From the BBC. Good to see Scottish football moves with the times (although the sub can't seem to tell the difference between a ref and a lino).

Boss blasts female ref

Peter Hetherston was angry at the decisions against Montrose
Albion Rovers manager Peter Hetherston could be in trouble with the Scottish Football Association after what is being viewed as a sexist blast at the country's first women referee.
Hethertson said Morag Pirie should have "been at home cooking" and not running the line in his side's Third Division 1-0 defeat to Montrose.

His remarks are almost certain to be investigated by the SFA's general purposes committee.

"I knew it wasn't going to be our day when I arrived at Links Park and found that we had a women running the line," Hetherston told the Sun.

"She should be at home making the tea or the dinner for her man who comes in after he has been to the football.

"This is a professional man's game. I believe that she shouldn't be here.

"Crucial decisions are being made which affect players and managers. Every time the ball went forward in the first half, she had the flag raised for offside.

"That's how I feel and I think I have to speak out."

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Linemen or lineswomen (linespersons?) are called assistant referees nowadays.

I agree that sounds stupid too.

So what do you need to be a lino? Good eyesight and a pair of legs for running.

Women have both. :lol:

I have to disagree Yorkie - we had that woman ref (Can't remember her name) running the line at the Goldstone once and she couldn't keep up with play. Eyesight obviously isn't a problem but it is a medical fact that men are faster than women. It would need to be a very fit and fast woman to make a top class ref/lino. Nothing sexist but a fact of life.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
eyesight and a good pair of legs ? I'd agree with that.

It was Wendy Toms who disallowed Harts last minute goal at Reading, but then allowed Steele's offside goal against Bristol City.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
There's a couple of Women lino's kicking about in the county league at the moment. I wouldn't mind if they could do a competent job but deary me!! The time we had them (both lino's women in 1 match) one of the ladys had to go off with about 30 minutes to go....our physio to run the line.

Don't get me wrong there is a general poor standard of officials this year in county one but these women were not up to scratch by a long shot.

NB: May be an exception, not a rule.

f***ing birds I ask thee! (joke)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I dunno, some of the fat wasters we have had at withdean can't keep up with play either. If you are talking about professional sportspersons at the height of their fitness then men are faster and stronger than their female counterparts, but I would say it wouldn't be difficult for the average woman to compete favourably with most of the pot bellied refs and linos we seem to get.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Nah the fitness thing (MM if your speaking to me that is) was just the icing on the cake, they'd been pone all game. Damn ref dins. Mind you we don't ever do ourselves any favours by getting on their backs from the off :lolol:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
In his defence he does say he's lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here