Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
coventrygull said:
Just been down memory lane. Anyone remember the Buzzcock's gig down the Top Rank when their equipment got destroyed after they refused to do an encore:D They said they would never play Brighton again. Bottom of the poll for me. Mancunian nobheads:lolol:

Oh yes, my first gig ... 14 years old, quite an eye opener ...:lolol:

Anyway, have to be the pistols for me as they were the 'first' but anyone from The Clash, SLF, Dammed, UK subs, Sham69, Menace will do.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
New York Slits for me, however as they are not on the poll....The Sex Pistols

Dandyman

In London village.
coventrygull said:
Just been down memory lane. Anyone remember the Buzzcock's gig down the Top Rank when their equipment got destroyed after they refused to do an encore:D They said they would never play Brighton again. Bottom of the poll for me. Mancunian nobheads:lolol:

Supported by Warsaw (later Joy Division & New Order) who got bottled off stage.

The Clash. Songs at the cutting edge. Their influence their presence was the base for bands such as SLF, the Alarm etc.

Rotten took the limelight in the Pistols but Matlock wrote the quality songs, so what did they do?

Replace Matlock with the knob viscious.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Sex Pistols for me as they had the most immediate arresting effect but granted the Clash probably over a long period of time.

If we're talking about historically important 'alternative' bands though would everyone agree Velvet Underground were the first and shaped everything?

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Stinky Kat said:
Damned at the top rank in palace shirts - nutters

Dirty, Croydon lovin', Palarse supportin', #*&%#@%$£#@%$ !!!!

:nono: :eek:

REFUSED EVER TO BUY THEIR RECORDS OR SEE THEM LIVE... EVEN GAVE AWAY MY TICKET JUST BEFORE EAST ANGLIA UNI GIG AFTER SEEING ONE OF THEM WITH A PALARSE SCARF!!!! :lolol: :shootself

Good tunes though! :blush: :angel:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Sex Pistols were the best at BEING punk and produced arguably the biggest impact album in British music history, but The Clash were more musically talented.

Saw The Pistols live at Party At The Palace a couple of years ago and they still rock.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Stinky Kat said:
Gary the singer joined King Kurt after the cheesey bits finished and they were the were the offal chuckers. I cannot remember any dead animals at Cheesey bits gigs.

Lots of flour and Beer chucking though:lolol:

Dandyman

In London village.
coventrygull said:
They weren't bottled off if i remember. I think we chucked plastic beer mugs:D

:D One memory from that gig is of people walking up to the station with bits of the Buzzcocks' drum kit and various cables and other odds & sods.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has to be The Clash

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Between Clash or Buzzcocks, went for Clash.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
buzzcocks by a country mile

Sex pistols. just hype really

Clash, outrageously overated

the Damned, good, but never quite had the strength and depth of the Buzzcocks

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
zefarelly said:
buzzcocks by a country mile

Sex pistols. just hype really

Clash, outrageously overated

the Damned, good, but never quite had the strength and depth of the Buzzcocks

True the Clash may have been overated but live they were awesome. Still get a tingle down my spine when I watch the live gig footage on my "Rude boy " DVD.

The same goes for Sham 69. They may have gone a bit wank towards the end but in the early days their live performance was well bloody dangerous :lolol:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The Sex Pistols for me. They looked and sound fantastic. Never Mind The Bollocks is one of the, if not the, greatest rock album of all time. Tremendous snarling energy, passion and disdain.:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Clash are also quality but for me can't reach the peak of The Sex Pistols.

The Buzzcocks had some wonderful, wonderful tunes but were they really punk? Ever Fallen in Love (with someone you shouldn't have)? Come on now, how is that punk? A great song, but punk????

As for The Damned. To be honest I find them pretty rubbish. I can't think of a single song of theirs that I'd call a classic.

Stiff Little Fingers were another quality punk band. 'Wasted Life' is an absolute belter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here