Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seriously the premiership is about to go pop

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
West Ham in trouble, a couple of other big names also in the poo poo according to Talk Sport. Should we really care? may be this is the kick up the arse the premiership needs to bring it back down to some reality.

All we are getting at the moment is poor old West Ham. Apparently the chairman borrowed money against the club. Really!! Is that not what all these super investors do anyway? So what happens when the super investor lose their money in the case of the icelandic investor.

Apparently premiership clubs are in big danger due to the credit crunch.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
with the high wage bills something has to give, be interesting to see how much support the teams have from the FA compared to Luton/Rotherham etc if they face administration

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
they can't sustain it for much longer, some of these mega rich owners are inevitably going to bottle it and run.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I have mixed feelings about it, but if I really am forced to decide one way, I'd have to say that if some go to the wall, well - they've only got themselves to blame.

The fans, on the other hand will be the ones I will feel sorry for, because they never chose this way of running their club...

It might be a good thing for football in the medium term - just painful for the reckelss clubs short term.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Aren,t Man Utd up to their eyeballs in debt with their owners borrowing...?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
I cant get excited about the premiership that much anymore.

Uefa Cup away games, are the only thing that keeps me enthuastic, this will be the last season of 'em though:cry:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Aren,t Man Utd up to their eyeballs in debt with their owners borrowing...?

Yes, that is how the Glazer's bought them. Man U weren't in bad shape before the takeover - quite how anybody can buy a company by mortgaging that company's own assets always did mystify me!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Players Wages/Bankers profits

A very similar picture to the economy as a whole - the money is draining from the game to make the players multi-millionaires and WILL be the downfall of the premiership as the bankers greed might well make this country bust. Like Mike Ashley has said what owner is going to pump his own money in to make the players rich - a bloody joke (though admittedly it was his own arrogance and greed that made him but Newcastle in the first place). GIVE UP SKY/SETANTA NOW and see how quickly that brings them down to earth. God bless our directors for keeping this club running, 'cause the income sure doesn't.

Mar 13, 2008
I can see a new domination of 4 clubs soon.

Man utd
Chelsea
man city
qpr

No one else will be able to compete money wise and they will rule the roost till they go bankrupt and some other clubs take over. They will spend billions where as the team in 5th can only spent thousands.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Care to justify this statement? I'd be intrigued to hear how often United haven't had a sell out in the past decade?

Not that i doubt you like....

Look at the official Manure website at their attendances! One of the two Yank owners was talking on Setanta about the credit crunch and how it was starting to affect them.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
There are some clubs like West Ham that are looking flakey, but on the whole most of the clubs look sound to me. From a business perspective, you'd have to say that your average Premiership Club has assets that most businesses simply do not have, virtually guaranteed regular income from merchandising, a large chunck of cash from pre paid season tickets, sponsorship agreements in place for multiple seasons, TV deals in place and pretty much guaranteed, parachute payments for those who get relegated. Not a bad business model that. Of course, you still run the risk if your sponsor is in trouble or if you spend borrowed money, but on the whole I'd say most of the Premiership clubs are in a better position that a number of other businesses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here