Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious urgent question

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my grandsons not Ben who is 12 yrs old and was caught by his mother stealing £85 from his baby brothers aged 2 yrs money box. His mother grounded him for a month and stopped some of his pocket money to make him repay it. All seemed well but now he has stolen another £1 from the money box and denied it to his mum but admitted it to his other grandmother. His mother is at a loss as to what to do and asked my advice but I do not know what to advise.

Please no scarcastic answers but any constructive advice would be appreciated. Have you been in this position of either parent or child?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Maybe it's his friends making him do this?

Sounds like a tear-away in the making unless something is done. Maybe he wants the attention. It's a tough one, hope someone can help.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Cut off his hands.

Threaten him with police action.

Don't leave money in a position where it can be taken.

He will continue as long as he knows he can get away with it.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Find out WHY he's stealing the money and what he's spent it on. I doubt there's any child who hasn't very occasionally been tempted to "borrow" a pound or two but £85 is serious. Especially if he's always been an honest lad. Is he being bullied, perhaps?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thank you for your views roz

The original theft was brought to his mothers attention by the local shopkeeper telling her that he had spent a £20 note on sweets. When questioned he said he gave them to his friends at school.

His father phoned the police for advice and they said that they couldn't do anything as they were too busy unless he filed a complaint and then it would go through the usual channels.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
It does sound as though there is some peer pressure somewhere.

Is there some 'mates' he is trying to impress?

I caught my son stealing from his Gran when he was 9 because he was desperate to get more stickers for his Panini album. It wasn't that sort of sum of money though.

Is there something he has been asking for, for ages, and not been given, for a birthday present for example?

Why not have a talk with him yourself rather than his Mum. Kids sometimes find it easier to talk to another relative than their nearest one.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
One of my girlfriends boys took a small amount of money from me. We dealt with it by grounding (in our language that is extreme, he has to come with us food shopping, etc, whatever we are doing - very tedious for a 12 year old and us) remission for good behaviour denying future opportunities by hiding money and always ensuring that he has a ready supply of small amounts of cash, effectively giving him his pocket money in parts every day. That way he is not motivated to steal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
m20gull said:
One of my girlfriends boys took a small amount of money from me. We dealt with it by grounding (in our language that is extreme, he has to come with us food shopping, etc, whatever we are doing - very tedious for a 12 year old and us) remission for good behaviour denying future opportunities by hiding money and always ensuring that he has a ready supply of small amounts of cash, effectively giving him his pocket money in parts every day. That way he is not motivated to steal.

Many thanks I think that is the route that I shall suggest to his mother. To all that hav e contributed with ideas many thanks.

Now we can get back to the business of NSC and FOOTBALL

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Its a never win situation as parents can't afford the trendy gear these days and they all want them,so being realistic its a bloody nightmare.

DON'T HAVE KIDS:lolol:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
berkshire,

his name ain't ben, he is ben's GRANDAD.

and what kind of 2 year old sticks £85 in a jar over time?

you look stupid on this thread.

bensgrandad,

this seems a tough situation. m20gull's solution may work. i dunno. i guess this why i should not have kids. i can't think of a solution to this problem.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
what is his behavior in general? is it out of character?
it is a lot of money. so you must find out, what he wanted the money for.. this is important, he may of been threatend by somebody or he may despretly want a to buy a computor game or something. if the latter is the case, he must learn that it is wrong to take. so you must give him something to do to earn the money, teaching him values that nothing comes free. and that you gotta work for things as everybody else does. we have 3 kids, oldest 12 and youngest coming up for 2. so we know some problems that could be faced. hope im not being too patronising. i do realise the problems we can face with kids. and 12 is an awkawd age just moving up to comp school. soon to be a teenager, that of course knows everything and we know nothing.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
the full harris said:
berkshire,

his name ain't ben, he is ben's GRANDAD.

and what kind of 2 year old sticks £85 in a jar over time?

you look stupid on this thread.

bensgrandad,

this seems a tough situation. m20gull's solution may work. i dunno. i guess this why i should not have kids. i can't think of a solution to this problem.
You should learn to read as i state clearly what people put into the jar and not what a 2 y.o did errrr.

You look stupid full stop you nonse:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here