Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious question; how do you negotiate pay?

1066gull

lets say you are minimum wage, how long, when, how do you negotiate when you think you deserve more? are you allowed to know what colleagues receive? look for another position in a different company offering more?

i really just wanna know whats the right things to do when the time arrives.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I went for an interview with a rival firm and was promptly awarded a £2500 pay rise by my current employer!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
depends whether you work in the public sector or the private sector or how many stars you manage to get on on your badge

1066gull

depends whether you work in the public sector or the private sector or how many stars you manage to get on on your badge

Private, starting up.

It isn't exactly what I wanna do though, I would prefer this public sector oppurtunity and I still have an application with references received to them, I just need to get back to them now to reiterate my interest. But I don't wanna say anything unless they come forward with an offer, or maybe I think I will upset this private sector employer.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have a constructive argument ready, with examples of your good work and why you think it's reasonable to ask for more money.

But ultimately, rememember: it's not who you know, but who you blow.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I went for an interview with a rival firm and was promptly awarded a £2500 pay rise by my current employer!

...as opposed to Jim Harvey, the last Forest Green manager, who went for an interview at Cambridge United...on his return to the club he was sacked for breach of contract, which apparently said that he wasn't allowed to talk to any other club without prior permission, which presumably was neither sought nor granted.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
As someone else suggests on here, if when you take the lid off your pen and begin to write is similar to what happens when you open your mouth I would take a long time to think this through.

Perhaps 30-40 years.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Private, starting up.

It isn't exactly what I wanna do though, I would prefer this public sector oppurtunity and I still have an application with references received to them, I just need to get back to them now to reiterate my interest. But I don't wanna say anything unless they come forward with an offer, or maybe I think I will upset this private sector employer.

In English ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
lets say you are minimum wage, how long, when, how do you negotiate when you think you deserve more? are you allowed to know what colleagues receive? look for another position in a different company offering more?

i really just wanna know whats the right things to do when the time arrives.

How long have you been there?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Negotiate with a shotgun. At the moment, don't think you are important enough to be able to negotiate at all. You are there to start a career, build your experience in the real world, and then prove your worth to the company. If you want to start making demands, consider how it's going to look to a manager who is probably struggling to make ends meet, may have to make savings and is under pressure from his bosses. If he has to make a saving, the gobby one demanding a pay rise is the first choice.

Most places that pay the minimum wage seem to work on the principle that there isn't any point in valuing their staff. You can leave if you think you aren't getting enough and there will be someone else coming along who will fill any vacancy.

The fact that you might be doing the job well, or showing promise, or doing stuff beyond your basic responsibilities won't count for anything. However good you are, your employer doesn't put any monetary value on talent. Keeping costs down is the one and only aim.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Just say "pay me more or I walk"

Then start looking for another job.

*This advice is not guaranteed to work, use it at your own peril*

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It is hard to advise without knowing what you do but, as it's a small business, try and think about it from your employer's perspective. How is the business doing? Timing is important, if they have just lost a big contract, or if sales are down it would be best to hold back. If things are going well focus on what you will contribute to future success.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you dont...the world doesnt owe you a living.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Virtually impossible to negotiate a pay rise in the present climate I am afraid.

Most small private companies have no option but to keep their expenditure down in order to survive.

Most know that the majority of employees are just grateful to have a job at present.

I am afraid there are tough times ahead and it will be a case of sticking with what you have until a better option comes up, but dont hold your breath. There will be huge cuts in the public sector after the election, whoever wins it.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Unfortunately it's not a question of you thinking you deserve more. Does your company want to pay you more in order to keep you? Or could you be easily replaced?

My advice would be to work hard. Get experience. THEN move on to a better job when you have real skills to offer. You need to be a lot higher up the employment ladder before you can start negotiating salaries.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
With one exception, the only times I ever got a worthwhile payrise was when I handed my notice in. However, it was always genuine and I always had a job I would have gone to. It wasn't about threats but they offered more to keep me. The only other time was when I went to work in London. Agency were crap and I didn't know the pay scales but after about 3 years, a new manager adjusted my salary in line with others and I got about an additional £5k. Quite happy at the time but then pissed off with the useless agency who should have got me more in the first place.

If this is your first job then get in and become indispensible. After a few years, get another job. Your employer will either pay you more or let you go so thats the gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here