Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious Question Brighton March 2011 Vs Brighton March 2012

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
There's a bit of debate over strongest XIs I guess, but for the sake of argument, what about the following?

Ankergren

Calderon
Greer
El-Abd
Painter

Bennett
Bridcutt
Dicker
Noone

Murray
Barnes

Brezovan

Jara Reyes
Greer
El-Abd
Mattock

Vicente
Bridcutt
Dicker
Buckley
Barnes

Mackail-Smith

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Lua Lua would murder Calderon on the wing.

Metaphorically, of course.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is not designed to be a Gus bashing thread, but in the other threads today people are repeating saying how lucky we are, just think where we come from blah blah blah

So, in all honestly, Brighton March 2011 versus Brighton March 2012.

If you could play these two Gus sides against each other, as Gus has set them out played them during those months in 2011 and 2012 .... who'd win?

Given that you have stated that we should be equal on points with West Ham, how many of the current Albion XI would get in the West Ham team?

Their team against Barnsley was:

Green
McCartney
Reid
Tomkins
Demel
Nolan
Taylor
O'Neil
Noble
Vaz Te
Maynard

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
This is not designed to be a Gus bashing thread, but in the other threads today people are repeating saying how lucky we are, just think where we come from blah blah blah

So, in all honestly, Brighton March 2011 versus Brighton March 2012.

If you could play these two Gus sides against each other, as Gus has set them out played them during those months in 2011 and 2012 .... who'd win?

But on the bright side at least he's not launching a small-minded, nasty and unprovoked attack on another supporter.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Looking at the changes to the team: we now have a better goal keeper, better fullbacks, the emergence of Dunk(who in my opinion should be a starter) 3 very good wingers and 2 international strikers. 2012 would win easily

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
It could - but without me - ain't even going to bother with pages two and three....................

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Looking at the changes to the team: we now have a better goal keeper, better fullbacks, the emergence of Dunk(who in my opinion should be a starter) 3 very good wingers and 2 international strikers. 2012 would win easily

No we haven't. Brezovan and Casper are pretty much equal, Calderon is still our right back, our preferred centre back pairing is STILL El Abd and Greer. Of the three wingers, we had two of them last season. The only real change is Mattocks ( a loanee) for Painter (an improvement), CMS for Murray (not a lot in it in this division) and Buckley for Bennett, and if I had to choose I would go for Bennett.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
No we haven't. Brezovan and Casper are pretty much equal, Calderon is still our right back, our preferred centre back pairing is STILL El Abd and Greer. Of the three wingers, we had two of them last season. The only real change is Mattocks ( a loanee) for Painter (an improvement), CMS for Murray (not a lot in it in this division) and Buckley for Bennett, and if I had to choose I would go for Bennett.

Good post. Its not a clear cut as people think. Murray IMO was better in the role he was deployed in, although CMS I think is the better forward. Mattock, a loanee is a different class to Painter. Buckley for Bennett? That's one open for debate. Bennett is a premiership player, Buckleys a championship bench warmer in and out the team.

We have a far better squad then we had last season, but I think the team, ie the 11 players that would start a game against each other are very very similar.

Gus has the squad, but he's not using it correctly IMO and if El Pres' example is right, which is virtually is, and Vicente although arguably one of the greatest players to pull on the shirt, in the mess of a system Poyet is playing, Vicente starting, is not winning us games... is it?

We've won one game since Vicente been back starting. But Vicente would walk into the 2011 side. Buckley would walk into the 2011 side. Lua Lua would walk into the 2011 side. CMS would walk into the 2011 side. But they don't get in the 2012 side with an regullarity, and the one who does, is not making much difference dispite being the best player in years perhaps ever to wear the stripes. Why's that? Please someone tell me.

But don't worry doubters, Gus' tactics are working great!! Dont dare dquestion the great one. Look where we were 2 years ago!! I'd rather look at where we are today to be honest.

You can sit there easily and say 2012 side would piss 2011 side, but it wouldn't

2012 squad is better than 2011 squad, I don't think many could argue about that, but the teams Gus puts out from these squads are not that far apart. And as we broke our transfer record three times over times over the summer(okay the first equaled it), maybe people can start seeing my point.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But on the bright side at least he's not launching a small-minded, nasty and unprovoked attack on another supporter.
What? You been taking something you shouldn't have??? Oh you're probably talking about London Blue, who spent the first half of this thread just rubbishing everything without adding to too it, giving a little bit of abuse out himself, before starting a thread of his own, quoting things that people never said, before being found out and storming off in a hissy fit vowing never to return again.

Or was it someone else :lol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here