Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious poll- compensation

Accept the offer or decline and go to court?

• Accept and close the whole thing

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Decline and go to court for more

Votes: 36 70.6%

• Total voters

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Biscuit said:
Legal costs will really mount if they decided to hold out. Take the money.

they will NOT hold out. Once they are convinced you are prepared to go all the way, they will cave big time. the offer, as stated is an insult, and is only intended as a first offer to sus you out.

One fact is, that if an insurance company OFFERS an amount, it is what THEY would LIKE to get away with paying. I mean they are never actually going to make a generous offer, just because they are nice!

I'd agree with getting legal advice, and certainly well before settling for their 'generous offers' - but at least you have had the benefit, on this thread, of my advice (which is always excellent).

If you need further proof, go to Sainsbury's and try their 'taste the difference' vanilla custard and check if I have good advice or not.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
NMH said:
One fact is, that if an insurance company OFFERS an amount, it is what THEY would LIKE to get away with paying. I mean they are never actually going to make a generous offer, just because they are nice!

I'd agree with getting legal advice, and certainly well before settling for their 'generous offers' - but at least you have had the benefit, on this thread, of my advice (which is always excellent).

If you need further proof, go to Sainsbury's and try their 'taste the difference' vanilla custard and check if I have good advice or not.

You should try the mimi carrot cakes. awesome.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My wife fell down some cellar steps whilst we were working and fractured her ankle and tore the ligaments in her leg which the consultant has told her could take up to 2 years to mend.

I wrote to the area manager of the company involved, asking for the name of their insurrance company and he phoned me back saying he could'nt give that information to me, I would have to sue the company and then they would contact their insurance company.

Is this normal practise as I do not want to jeopardise our chances of getting any more work from that company but feel that my wife is entitled to some compensation.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
BensGrandad said:
My wife fell down some cellar steps whilst we were working and fractured her ankle and tore the ligaments in her leg which the consultant has told her could take up to 2 years to mend.

I wrote to the area manager of the company involved, asking for the name of their insurrance company and he phoned me back saying he could'nt give that information to me, I would have to sue the company and then they would contact their insurance company.

Is this normal practise as I do not want to jeopardise our chances of getting any more work from that company but feel that my wife is entitled to some compensation.

I would suggest you get the Chief Exec's name and write to him pointing out the companies lack of adherence to health and safety procedures. At the very least the accident should have been recorded and then consideration should have been made to prevent the accident happening again. Also point out that the Health and Safety department of the local council might be very interested. Subtle blackmail often works wonders !

I don't know about withholding the insurance company details itself but they have to prove they have public liability insurance on demand by showing you the certificate and this will most likely have the insurance companies details on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Westdene Seagull said:
I would suggest you get the Chief Exec's name and write to him pointing out the companies lack of adherence to health and safety procedures. At the very least the accident should have been recorded and then consideration should have been made to prevent the accident happening again. Also point out that the Health and Safety department of the local council might be very interested. Subtle blackmail often works wonders !

I don't know about withholding the insurance company details itself but they have to prove they have public liability insurance on demand by showing you the certificate and this will most likely have the insurance companies details on.

They have since put some chains up to act as a stop if the cellar flaps are open.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Westdene Seagull said:

Better than that: they have to have a certificate of public liability insurance on DISPLAY if it's a workplace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here