Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious financial problems?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm starting to wonder how close we really are to financial problems?

The reported £100k+ bid for Tim Brighton just doesn't seem to add up now. Why bid £100k for a striker who we desperately need to stay in this division and then many weeks later have done nothing in the transfer/loan market. It doesn't make sense. Especially when at the same time we are shipping players out left right and centre.

I can't accept that McGhee can't attract players. That doesn't make sense. I wonder whether DK has given up on this season and therefore is not willing to spend any money on a loan player who could keep us up, and has therefore decided to hold onto it for the close season, or its vanished further into the Falmer pot. There certainly seems to be something that they are not telling us.

Even now the signing of someone like Shipperly for the rest of the season could make a huge difference. And the cost would immediately be paid for by staying up.

The lack of away support at Withdean next year together woith reduced season ticket sales if we go down will cost us heavily.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Somethings up,thats for sure

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's no secret that we are millions in debt, there was never £100,000 laying about spare.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the LDC bastards are sucking more of our money with their challenge...bastards!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Giraffe said:
I wonder whether DK has given up on this season and therefore is not willing to spend any money on a loan player who could keep us up, and has therefore decided to hold onto it for the close season, or its vanished further into the Falmer pot. There certainly seems to be something that they are not telling us.

The lack of away support at Withdean next year together woith reduced season ticket sales if we go down will cost us heavily.

I think the season is over for us barring a major miracle, however, if we could get that elusive win it would make all the difference.

As for cash issues - think we have a problem big time.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
I think you've hit the nail on the head Giraffe and the sooner everyone understands the better!
I'm getting fed up with everyone moaning about Dick Knight etc., just because he wont bankrupt the club and spend a fortune on a striker.

1. People have short memories - we've been here before and poor management was why we had to sell the Goldstone - should Dick go and spend money we havent got?
I haven't seen anyone begging to get control of the club with pockets full of money-perhaps those that criticise Dick should name some names or shut up!
2. Lets face it - we are punching above our weight and cannot compete with most other clubs in this division- it was a miracle we survived last year.
3. All the time we are at Withdean and it is not pay on the gate we will lose a fortune.
4. Lets be honest - if we got relegated and won a few games the fickle stay away Albion fans would come back to watch a winning team whether we were in the championship or division four (just look at history).
5. If we got relegated we would be able to negotiate smaller contracts.
6. We've got one of the best Youth Teams in the country - so worrying about the next ten years aint gonna be a problem (unless we go skint!)
7. OK - Mr Mcghee has made some odd selection decisions - but the guys desperate and will try anything (I know I would).
8. As for Kuipers - great keeper but knocking on. Long term Henderson will be a bargain.

Don't get me wrong of course I want to see the Leeds Uniteds down here every week, but it sure is not the end of the world if we have to give it a miss for a few seasons - think long term - think Falmer and trust Dick - he has taken us this far!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To quote Insider:

"The money is available - it's finding a player who is available, better than what we have and willing to come to the club."

I don't see why Insider would post this if it wasn't true. If he wants, he can just ignore the difficult questions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was LI I would say 'told you so' but he truth if the matter there is an element on here who will not accept that we are in very serious financial trouble and as has been said before relegation and the losses that come with that will not help us one little bit.

Hence my reasoning hat we shall have to sell our better players next season just to survive. I hope that Henderson's promotion to the full Eire squad will be a benefit to us price wise if we have to sell him. That is one big advantage he has over FDM his value.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Firingblanks1 said:
I think you've hit the nail on the head Giraffe and the sooner everyone understands the better!
I'm getting fed up with everyone moaning about Dick Knight etc., just because he wont bankrupt the club and spend a fortune on a striker.

1. People have short memories - we've been here before and poor management was why we had to sell the Goldstone - should Dick go and spend money we havent got?
I haven't seen anyone begging to get control of the club with pockets full of money-perhaps those that criticise Dick should name some names or shut up!
2. Lets face it - we are punching above our weight and cannot compete with most other clubs in this division- it was a miracle we survived last year.
3. All the time we are at Withdean and it is not pay on the gate we will lose a fortune.
4. Lets be honest - if we got relegated and won a few games the fickle stay away Albion fans would come back to watch a winning team whether we were in the championship or division four (just look at history).
6. We've got one of the best Youth Teams in the country - so worrying about the next ten years aint gonna be a problem (unless we go skint!)
7. OK - Mr Mcghee has made some odd selection decisions - but the guys desperate and will try anything (I know I would).
8. As for Kuipers - great keeper but knocking on. Long term Henderson will be a bargain.

Don't get me wrong of course I want to see the Leeds Uniteds down here every week, but it sure is not the end of the world if we have to give it a miss for a few seasons - think long term - think Falmer and trust Dick - he has taken us this far!

Firingblanks....who are you? Registered for a year and a half but only 17 posts!!

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Sorry Jim in the West - normally just read the banter and cant be bothered to reply (hence 15 posts).
But, to be honest starting to get a bit pissed off with all the moaners this club seem to have!
OK all football fans are entitled to moan, but some of our lot just don't seem to understand what has happened to this club over the last few years and how far we have come!
Honestly - Im not Dick in disguise, I'm not even his love child! Just a plain boring fan - who cares!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
BensGrandad said:
I hope that Henderson's promotion to the full Eire squad will be a benefit to us price wise if we have to sell him. That is one big advantage he has over FDM his value.

Ah ha....surely not an admission that McGhee/Knight have made another rather astute decision. To go along with the following:

- Currie (purchased for nowt, sold a few months later for £250k)
- Cullip (sold for significantly more than real value)
- Harding (see entry for Cullip)
- Virgo (see entry for Cullip)
- Purchase (for nowt) of Carole & Frutos
- Purchase of CKR (a real star of the future, I'm 100% certain)
- Loan signing of McShane

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Firingblanks1 said:
Sorry Jim in the West - normally just read the banter and cant be bothered to reply (hence 15 posts).
But, to be honest starting to get a bit pissed off with all the moaners this club seem to have!
OK all football fans are entitled to moan, but some of our lot just don't seem to understand what has happened to this club over the last few years and how far we have come!
Honestly - Im not Dick in disguise, I'm not even his love child! Just a plain boring fan - who cares!

Fair enough - and I agree with 100% of your posting, by the way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Firingblanks1 said:

1. The debts are higher now than then and we had a ground as security. Granted inflation and values come into it.
2. We earn't the right to be in this division and as such are entitled to expect to perform to a reasonable standard some weeks, and win some games.
3. It will not be pay on the gate at Falmer either so will the debts continue.
4. We are very near to full in the home area it is the away end that will suffer and the sale of season tickets to keep us going over the summer.
5. To new players but most of ours are already under contract and how much will their wages drop with relegation as much as the drop in revenue.
6. A very good youth team but how many will have reached their peak already and not progress to the 1st team. 50%
7. I will agree with that as I would have done the same but should he have to.
8. Henderson will prove a saleable asset if needed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Originally posted by Firingblanks1
Don't get me wrong of course I want to see the Leeds Uniteds down here every week,

I would love to see them down here every week, we would stay up then

Last edited:

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
1. Yep, but we kept on spending money we did not have - result almost went out of business - thats the point I was making.
2. Quiet agree, to stay up would be nice - but difficult when you cant compete on an even playing field.
3. Erm....is that right? Would be a bit of a disaster if you could not pay on the gate at Falmer. Not convinced your right and would be a major cock up! Not convinced your right!
4. Full in the home area? Your having a laugh! Look at the away end...we could not even sell out when we did not have the new seats. Yep, the away end would suffer if relegated, but I reckon the 'I only come when we are winning fans' would make up for it!
5. Put it this way.....if we went down future contract negotiations would not be more expensive! Would they?
6. Just look at the results from the Youth team over the last five years..without it we would not even be in Division One!
7 and 8: at least we agree on something!

:)

patbha

Sep 16, 2004
worthing
Firingblanks1 said:

HERE! HERE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here