Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

September 11th attacks

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I remember it very well. My Grandmother was flying to America, and when i heard about it i immediately started panicing. About an hour later we got a call from our grandmothe saying she was ok and the flight landed somewhere else, can't rememver where though. I was also in year 5 so i was panicing like crazy.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I was working in the Pilgrim Goose pub in Hassocks in the Kitchen. I heard it on the radio, if i've got the times right it was in the middle of lunch shift so about 1.30pm? I listened intently and when i knocked off at 3pm i raced home and put the TV on. Sat and watched in stunned silence all afternoon. Then went to the Brighton v Southampton match in the evening.

Within a week I was in the Armed forces Careers Office in Brighton and within a month I was in the military. Still here now!!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I heard a rumour about it on the bus home from school (I was in year 11), got in and then didn't move from in front of News 24 for about the next six hours. I then had to try and do some history homework that was due for the next day.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Looking back at it, my naivety shocks me. I was 13

It also is quite funny (not ha ha) how different it would have been for a kid my age if the same thing happened now. I was oblibious to it at school. Not even a murmur. However, now it would be all over twitter, phones beeping all over the shop, live news footage on the phones etc etc.

I got home as normal, but had heard something on the bus about a bomb, and found my mum standing in the lounge watching the tv with the remote still in her hand. She must have turned it on and just not moved.

Anyway, she said to me 'One of the twin towers has been hit'. I'll be honest, I had never heard of them. I then saw the pictures and said "oh, those are the buildings they show on friends". Terrible, I know.

Remember seeing the second plane hit and just going cold. Obviously the rest was just horrendous to see live. My mum was almost shaking as she saw the building collapse. I think she said she had been to the top of it once and that probably put it in context for her.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Was only 6 when it happened so all I really remember was seeing pictures on the news. It probably didn't sink in how huge the event was until I was a few years older. Since it happened there's always people who say there's some weird goings on surrounding it. The only one I find strange is the plane that hit the pentagon. Video footage "clearly" shows something hitting the pentagon which isn't a jetliner (that's the opinion of some, not my view). There's always the people who say the whole created wasn't big enough for a plane. Before people start slating me, I do not believe the ridiculous theories one bit but it is still sad how the passengers and victims of the other 2 planes don't get the same coverage/sympathy as the twin towers victims.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I was working night shifts at the time, trying to earn a bit of cash between years at Uni (Southampton never went back until early October for some reason). I'd slept most of the morning, then got up about 1pm and turned the TV on, and didn't move for pretty much the entire day. I don't think I even moved to get dressed to be honest, just spent the whole day on the sofa in my dressing gown unable to move or believe what I was seeing.

The image of that second plane is certainly one that will never leave me.

We sat in silence in the company Boardroom watching it unfold on the TV in there. My MD was trying to get through to a friend/customer who was in the South Tower. They were safe.

On Friday 14th September 2011 I flew from Gatwick with my wife, it was her first ever flight, a surreal experience.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I remember them showing the second plane hitting but for a few seconds the presenters thought that it was a replay of the first one hitting until they realised both towers were now smoking.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I was working in American Express and somebody said a tower had been hit by a plane. Someone had it on the internet and I looked at it and thought it was some sort of wind up, as the plane looked tiny (on the shot that I saw)! I went back to work and only realised the gravity (no pun intended) of the situation when the first tower fell down.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Was working in London. I had just got back from lunch and news was spreading around the office that a plane had flown into one of the twin towers. I remember trying to connect to the BBC site but was having issues as the bandwidth was getting hammered. When i did finally tune in i saw the 2nd place hit the other tower but thought it was a replay.

Only when the 2nd plane hit that we realised that something sinister was occurring. There were rumours spreading that all the tall towers in London were also going to be a target.

I didnt do any work at all that afternoon. Watched the bbc stream all afternoon. Then i got home and watched all night with my mum and step dad.

No matter how many times they showed those planes hitting, every time i saw it i couldn't believe it and was in ore.

Watching this apocalyptic event unfold was scarey and for weeks after felt like the word would never be the same. Especially once the US retaliated and started wars on Iraq and Afghanistan. Almost felt like the start of a 3rd World War.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had the week off work and was at home reading, listening to the radio. When it came on. I tried to ring work in London immediatley and could not get anyone. when I did get through a while later, I said what do you know about the NY office ? and was told "They've all gone", and they had, all 658 of them.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Two of the guys I work with in New York witnessed the collapse of the South Tower and another friend escaped from the North Tower where he was working. Watching events unfolding in the UK it was impossible to comprehend what it must have been like for them on what started out as just another ordinary working day.

One of those guys I work with has been unable to plan anything for the evening of 9/11 until this year. For him and his wife it’s been the first time they were able to do anything ‘normal’ like going for a drink or a meal. But as he said, once you stop doing what you used to do then the terrorists have won.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I was doing a house removal about half a mile away from heathrow, the customer told us about the first plane and we all assumed (as many did) that it was just a light aircraft. We went inside and turned his tv on and saw the second plane hit live. Half hour or so of watching things unfold followed by the worlds fastest removal as the planes overhead made us all very nervous. Very strange day, subdued atmosphere, was glad to get back to the south coast that day!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I remember working in Woking and this guy in the office telling me about it. Could not get on any news websites - all were jammed. In the board room people were congragating watching it and I remember a financial analyst talking about what it will do for their economy which was a bit inappropriate.

It all took the shine off the 3 nil drubbing we gave you lot at the theatre of trees. Beattie netted just b4 half time and Svenson got a brace in the 2nd period. Scott Macdonald played his one and only game for us that evening.

Going back to the original question, yes a lack of TV programs about it. I thought there would be after the 10 year anniversary.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I remember working in Woking and this guy in the office telling me about it. Could not get on any news websites - all were jammed. In the board room people were congragating watching it and I remember a financial analyst talking about what it will do for their economy which was a bit inappropriate.

It all took the shine off the 3 nil drubbing we gave you lot at the theatre of trees. Beattie netted just b4 half time and Svenson got a brace in the 2nd period. Scott Macdonald played his one and only game for us that evening.

Going back to the original question, yes a lack of TV programs about it. I thought there would be after the 10 year anniversary.

As much as I hate losing and especially against southampton. But after the preceding events of the day I just shrugged my shoulders and stared open mouthed at B.B.C news.
God bless Robert Eaton and all the souls that were lost that day

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Is it just me or has there been less coverage and documentaries about the attacks (apart from that good channel 4 docu about the guy who had a miracle escape). After 11 years has the memory of that momentous day wained for you or are they just as poignant? And what were you doing when you heard?
When the attacks took place I had a day off and slept in till really late, probably near mid day and I found out about the attacks on this very forum. I remember clicking on a thread, something like "what's going on in New York?" and reading it in utter amazement, before running downstairs and switching on beeb news.
For me the attacks still hold a real and very emotional pull, but when I see footage of those planes hitting the world trade centre it almost doesn't feel real, like a Hollywood film.

Last year was ten years anniversary and the TV channels overloaded us with it, this year they have had the London party to deal with and make them money so they don't care. It's unfortunate in the extremebut it's true.

On the day I was working Security at Virgin Megagstore in CS. My girlfriend at the time came into my office and told me to come into staff room and watch the news. By the time we had all crowded into the staff room, must have been 30 of us in there we watched as the 2nd plane hit. Gobsmacked and terrifying. Some of the guys were crying.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Last year was ten years anniversary and the TV channels overloaded us with it, this year they have had the London party to deal with and make them money so they don't care. It's unfortunate in the extremebut it's true.

I don't think that's true at all.

It's more just there HAS to be a point where an anniversary is just an anniversary and not a whole day of mass hysteria.

11 years seems a good point to call it 'history' and downscale the whole coverage. In the US it was MUCH less than in previous years and that was reflected in coverage here.

Nothing to do with money or Londons active summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here