Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling Vinyl

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
anyone now how much Now 1 on vinyl is worth??
i have a copy sitting on my book shelf collecting dust

Not a lot. I tried one on eBay last year, didn't shift.

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Why not try looking your vinyl up on ebay. Check what other people are selling similar stuff for. If there are 50 copies for sale for 1p a time then it's a pretty good bet it's not worth much. If you see a record that you have that's creating a bit of interest then put a watch on it and follow it to the end of the auction. Might take a bit of time but less than listing it all unnecessarily. A bit of fun as well.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Why not try looking your vinyl up on ebay. Check what other people are selling similar stuff for. If there are 50 copies for sale for 1p a time then it's a pretty good bet it's not worth much. If you see a record that you have that's creating a bit of interest then put a watch on it and follow it to the end of the auction. Might take a bit of time but less than listing it all unnecessarily. A bit of fun as well.

Exactly what I did - some were worth pennies, others £100 or more. It's a good way to insure them, too, if you keep print-outs of auctions and 'buy it nows'.

Beanos on Croydon are pretty much THE vinyl retailer in the UK, their website might give you some indications.

They are no longer there, and sold off all their warehoused stock in sales lasting over months. That was done last year and the year before. I think the owner did what a lot of dealers have done in the past - and is now selling on eBay and to wants-list customers.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I recently sold up my vinyl.

600 albums played only on Linn Sondek (with some rare ones worth £30-50s according to the books). After being looked at by many buyers both private and professional I finally got £200 for the lot.

Similarly 1200 singles from 60's onward (many worth £3-5 according to the books) reached the grand total of £74 on E bay.

Lesson one, is stop dreaming about big profits. Vinyl is all but dead and most collectors already have all they want. Vinyl sales at markets are woeful as everyone wants the 'result' for 10p.

I recently sold up my vinyl.

600 albums played only on Linn Sondek (with some rare ones worth £30-50s according to the books). After being looked at by many buyers both private and professional I finally got £200 for the lot.

Similarly 1200 singles from 60's onward (many worth £3-5 according to the books) reached the grand total of £74 on E bay.

Lesson one, is stop dreaming about big profits. Vinyl is all but dead and most collectors already have all they want. Vinyl sales at markets are woeful as everyone wants the 'result' for 10p.

Collectors are numerous, and when you see some records increasing in value better than houses, you have to know that the market is alive and tangible as a big hobby for many people.

That The HIGH NUMBERS before they were called The WHO, went for over £1,100, is Roger paltry when you compare that with rare stamps fetching £800,000 for a tiny square of paper!

Record collecting has a long way to go to get to the status of many other hobbies, and I'd seriously prefer to have an original rock rarity than a cigarette card, baseball rookie-card, a stamp, or a coin. None of those can be played to produce a sound, the most you can do is look at them.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Collectors are numerous, and when you see some records increasing in value better than houses, you have to know that the market is alive and tangible as a big hobby for many people.

That The HIGH NUMBERS before they were called The WHO, went for over £1,100, is Roger paltry when you compare that with rare stamps fetching £800,000 for a tiny square of paper!

Record collecting has a long way to go to get to the status of many other hobbies, and I'd seriously prefer to have an original rock rarity than a cigarette card, baseball rookie-card, a stamp, or a coin. None of those can be played to produce a sound, the most you can do is look at them.

I will reinforce the statement that there is no long term value in buying vinyl.

Look at previous music formats right back to the pianola music roll
historyjpgs_stencilarranger.jpg

As technology changes there becomes less and less of a demand for the older formats and prices drop off dramatically.

So anyone investing in vinyl will be bitterly disappointed in the long term. Nobody got rich buying up old 78s.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
Can't believe no-one has mentioned discogs. A great place to get an idea of the prices and also much better for selling than email cos you can just leave them up there. Probably better for house, soul, etc than rock stuff I think.

http://www.discogs.com/home

I will reinforce the statement that there is no long term value in buying vinyl.

Look at previous music formats right back to the pianola music roll
historyjpgs_stencilarranger.jpg

As technology changes there becomes less and less of a demand for the older formats and prices drop off dramatically.

So anyone investing in vinyl will be bitterly disappointed in the long term. Nobody got rich buying up old 78s.

By "long term", you are referring to mediums that first of all were outmoded and superceded. CDs will not outlast vinyl for longevity, nor will they appeal to collectors in quite the same way (although some are gaining high prices).
Second of all, the 78s are fetching big money on the collector market, if they are rare and of a genre that survives among fans today.
Take a look at rare jazz and blues 78s, you will see them changing hands sometimes for hundreds of pounds.

Now look at the music eras which vinyl has been the medium for, and consider whether The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Zombies or Kinks will still be interesting for collectors interested in the 1960's?
There are loads of kids (say 9 to 21 years of age) who are getting into those bands now, and rate them highly. I've seen children at a Beatles tribute band show, standing up front singing all the lyrics....and they knew more of them than I did!
Okay, so if in 35 years vinyl becomes un-interesting to anybody - will most of us care? If you collected it purely for the investment, you ought to have sold it on by then!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Find out where there's a vinyl collectors fair near you. Make a list of what you have to sell, take it to the fair and find a stall that's selling similar stuff to what you have. Show the stall-holder your list and watch his eyes light up.

I did just that a could of years ago and got €1,000 for 250 albums. Fair return on a couple of hours' work I thought.

Spoke to the same guy last night and he's coming round on Sunday to make me an offer for my last remaining vinyl (120 albums and 150 singles), which I've spent the last months copying onto CD.

I'm going to ask €500, but will settle for anything in excess of €400.

But I do have a good bargaining chip in that I have something I know he wants (he tried to buy them off me last time): 5 albums by The Sound, who were massive in Holland (even if they got completely ignored in the UK). They're worth a packet here if they're on the original UK labels (which they are).

What I don't know is what it's going to feel like becoming vinyl-free for the first time in 40 years. That could be a bit emotional - watch this space...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here