Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Selhurst Park "improvements"

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well at least the new stand will blend in with the holmesdale end.

View attachment 126288

Filling up nicely now too .

CaDFPdGWcAAupKR.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was beginning to wonder if this was linked with the Americans wanting out (the 'for sale' board has been up over a year hasn't it?). As in Beaky got them on board with an 'oh that planning thing is a piece of piss' pitch. I guess he now thinks that their replacements will also have no problem stumping up the ring-fenced £100M after all permissions are in place.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When you stop spending every penny from being in the PL on last big contract old players and a new Improved contract for Zaha whilst ignoring the state of your ground, we might stop taking the piss :shrug:

If you ever fell as far as we did under Archer and Stanley you can 100% expect and would receive massive backing from Albion fans. We would still be taking the piss though :lolol:

It's a model that has worked though. They are hardly ever serious relegation candidates, even though the football can be awful (and that, in turn, has kept demand for tickets down, meaning that they can get by without a new stand if it comes to it).

To continue to play Devil's Advocate, maybe if we bought more experienced Premier League players rather than filling our squads with punts from abroad (which are so numerous that they end up costing nearly the same anyway) we wouldn't be looking nervously at the bottom three every season season.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
It's a model that has worked though. They are hardly ever serious relegation candidates, even though the football can be awful (and that, in turn, has kept demand for tickets down, meaning that they can get by without a new stand if it comes to it).

To continue to play Devil's Advocate, maybe if we bought more experienced Premier League players rather than filling our squads with punts from abroad (which are so numerous that they end up costing nearly the same anyway) we wouldn't be looking nervously at the bottom three every season season.
Completely agree...it always seem to work form them. They seem to pull off shock results every so often and rarely flirt with the bottom three. Would i swap their business and player recruitment model for ours.....no.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Couldn't agree more. Palace have got a lot more right in terms of playing squad than we have in terms of Premier League security. Always look capable of getting something against the top sides. Far far better at winning football matches than us.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
When you compare the wages to revenue figures from the last announced figures (2018/19),

Palace were 78% (£154 m income to £119m wages)
Brighton were 71% ( £143m income to £102m wages)

There’s not a massive difference tbh, considering we’ve been in the PL longer.
I would guess the gap will lessen going forward.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When you compare the wages to revenue figures from the last announced figures (2018/19),

Palace were 78% (£154 m income to £119m wages)
Brighton were 71% ( £143m income to £102m wages)

There’s not a massive difference tbh, considering we’ve been in the PL longer.
I would guess the gap will lessen going forward.

You’ll only close the big gap if you start investing in the club and infrastructure, get a new £150mil stadium and £50mil training academy, start a new fan base with some class, get a hierarchy who shows class and doesn’t let an innocent club get dragged through the mud in the papers despite it being them who shat everywhere, pay back all the debts including St Johns ambulance from your double cheating etc etc. That’s the only way you’ll catch up.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
You’ll only close the big gap if you start investing in the club and infrastructure, get a new £150mil stadium and £50mil training academy, start a new fan base with some class, get a hierarchy who shows class and doesn’t let an innocent club get dragged through the mud in the papers despite it being them who shat everywhere, pay back all the debts including St Johns ambulance from your double cheating etc etc. That’s the only way you’ll catch up.

Top trolling sheebo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
These last few months must have come as a godsend to those building the stand.

I imagine it would have been a logistical nightmare having to build around home games.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
These last few months must have come as a godsend to those building the stand.

I imagine it would have been a logistical nightmare having to build about home games.
Yes. Presumably they've used the opportunity to accelerate the construction. Does anyone have any pictures of how it's going?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes. Presumably they've used the opportunity to accelerate the construction. Does anyone have any pictures of how it's going?

Work started at the end of 2018, so it's definitely looking bang tidy by now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Couldn't agree more. Palace have got a lot more right in terms of playing squad than we have in terms of Premier League security. Always look capable of getting something against the top sides. Far far better at winning football matches than us.
I am not convinced yet. On the face of it, they don't struggle as often as we do, but is that because they've bought more experience or is it because their key players have avoided injury? It would be interesting to see what happened to them if one of their senior players got an injury like, say, Izquierdo or even Andone (before he was hustled out the door for being a bellend).

We are all frustrated with the fact we spend forever looking over our shoulders at the relegation places, but I'm simply not convinced that would be fixed by suddenly switching to Palace's model.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I am not convinced yet. On the face of it, they don't struggle as often as we do, but is that because they've bought more experience or is it because their key players have avoided injury? It would be interesting to see what happened to them if one of their senior players got an injury like, say, Izquierdo or even Andone (before he was hustled out the door for being a bellend).

We are all frustrated with the fact we spend forever looking over our shoulders at the relegation places, but I'm simply not convinced that would be fixed by suddenly switching to Palace's model.
They are the luckiest team in the division. Constantly shite but spawn results. It's galling, but it is true.

All the mates I have who support other teams say the same thing. Nobody can work out how Palace aren't bottom of the league every season with the abysmal football that they play.

But that's where we are. Presumably the luck will run out sooner or later, but maybe not. It's as if Parish found a magic lamp in the rusting, decrepit hovel but forgot to ask for some class.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I’d forgotten about the St Johns ambulance incident. Absolutely shameful. How can people “support” something that is against the values of the vast majority of people in this country? It really is disgusting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are the luckiest team in the division. Constantly shite but spawn results. It's galling, but it is true.

All the mates I have who support other teams say the same thing. Nobody can work out how Palace aren't bottom of the league every season with the abysmal football that they play.

But that's where we are. Presumably the luck will run out sooner or later, but maybe not. It's as if Parish found a magic lamp in the rusting, decrepit hovel but forgot to ask for some class.
Indeed. I have a couple of mates who are Palace STHs and both say the football they play is dire. The last game with us sums them up. Take a fortunate ill-deserved lead and spend 70 mins soaking up pressure (which fortunately was put right in injury time).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here