Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Self-storage companies

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me and Mrs ELS are thinking about putting our gaff up for sale, cos we need to get a bigger home. And to do so, we'll have to stick stuff in storage for a month or two in order to make our place look bigger.

Has anyone had any experience of these self-storage companies? Big Yellow, SafeStore and Access Self Storage are all near me, with similar prices. They all claim to be safe (obviously) with CCTV etc, but they only use padlocks (that cost extra) to secure the units, and that sounds a bit dodgy to me. Plus, insurance is extra, at about £4.50 per £1000 of cover per month. We've got about £10,000-worth of CDs alone, before thinking about furniture etc, so it could all get very costly. Is insurance worth it, as my household insurance does NOT cover items in storage.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks :thumbsup:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Got some info included in the TV mag with NOTW on Sunday, place called keepsafe.ltd.uk.

Looking into this myself recently I think I am in the wrong job!! They all seem very expensive..........in the past used MPD in ditchling.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I've used both Access and a local firm. The local firm were infinitely cheaper, and I found them just as good. They were also more relaxed about terminating contracts and so on, which just made life a bit easier.

You can use your own padlock – NEVER buy things like padlocks or packaging material from the likes of Access, the mark-up is huge.

It might be worth scoping out who else is using the facility when you visit. I soon realised the Access place was being used by a network of shopkeepers to store stock, and there was a constant coming and going of vans and young guys hefting crates of groceries in and out all day, which made it feel less secure than it might have been. (And it ended up being used by a bunch of terrorists to store fertiliser for bombs, but that's a whole 'nother story).

You will need insurance, as most standard household policies won't cover storage centres.

And obviously, go for the minimum size unit you need. If you pack and stack intelligently, you can get massive amounts into a space. The staff may try and talk you into a 'standard unit for a 3-bed house' etc, which'll probably be much bigger than you actually need.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I've used both, and I would recommend the Big Yellow at the bottom of Coombe Road. Buy a padlock from B&Q (much cheaper), your household insurance would cover your stuff (if you still have it) and it's feels much more secure than the others.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have used Big Box at Ditchling Common on two separate occasions, never had any problems with them, the units are climate controlled and fully covered by CCTV. Might be worth a look, if they are still running.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Do you have a million of 'em or something, Tim? CDs are pretty worthless these days.

Nothing 'dodgy' about buying your own lock and key, btw - it means only you have access to your gear.

Indeed, but I'd still put a value of around a tenner per CD for insurance purposes, I think. We've got far more vinyl, too, some of which is worth £100-a-pop, but I doubt we'll stick all of that in storage even though it takes up more room.

True about the padlock thingie, I suppose. Hopefully the CCTV will be good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
insurance? if you need insurance in a place that supposed to be secure storage, it isnt very secure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here