Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selection Headache?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ankergren and Calderon nailed on to come back, I would say. Greer and El Abd are sure to be injured / suspended sometime in the next few months, so young Tommy should get a game - amd maybe, just as Gus felt Greer needed a rest, perhaps he'll feel the need to give El Abd one against Peterborough.
As for the front six, we've got so many variations available there now, I think we can only wait and see what Gus selects.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He did an it was better to rest him and give Elf a run out so yes

I wouldnt say dropped (as in playing poorly) I would say rested for the (arguably more important) league games.

Gus said he was rested - not the same is it you minx!

Dropped/rested, it's all semantics, isn't it? Fact is he was not picked, and not because he had done anything to warrant not being picked. My point being he doesn't deserve to lose the shirt, his last performance merits getting picked as much as Elphick's does.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He was rested , to give Elphick a run out. How many more times .....!

Yes. That is my point. People seem to be arguing for Elphick to keep the shirt because he didn't do anything v pompy to warrant being dropped for the game v peterborough. I'm saying, Greer didn't do anything v Charlton, Orient, Exeter, etc. to warrant being dropped for the game v peterborough either. He wasn't not picked v Pompy because he has underperformed or cost us points, he had done nothing wrong and as such shouldn't have his spot taken away from him.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Gus says Calde is back in, so one argument settled. Back line will be:

Ankergren
Calde - El Abd - Greer - Painter

No news from the camp about the midfield configuration yet?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I do think that Ferguson's return will have an influence.
They were so gung ho and so poor defensively I really think we might have continued with three up front but he will have them a little more organised (3 training sessions with players he largely knows already) so more defensive and emphasis on counter attack which they are well equipped for.
I now think it will be 4-4-2 with a midfield of Kish Bennett Sparrow and Noone and Murray & Wood starting up front.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agree on a loose 4-4-2. Can't see him dropping Bridcutt for Kish (although Kish can clear do the job). I see Bricutt in front of the back four with Noone and Bennett felxible but generally wide and Sparrow in the middle. Would love to see Murray and Barnes up front but think he'll stick with Murray and Wood.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Ankergren
Calderon Greer El-Abd Painter
Bennett Kishishev Sparrow Noone
Murray Wood

If we were to play four in the middle every game, it's only really Kishishev/Bridcutt and Sparrow/Dicker who I can see being swapped.

The first eighteen almost picks itself at the moment.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Like SG, I think he'll go for the the diamond with Kish holding, Noone & Bennett out wide, and Sparrow at the tip. Two good options on the bench though in Bridcutt and Dicker should we be struggling. Wood & Murray to start, Barnes to come on late second half.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Interesting point and you may well be right. Think Posh will be set up to not be beaten rather than going all out for the win

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Interesting point and you may well be right. Think Posh will be set up to not be beaten rather than going all out for the win

Think you are right - with Ferguson that will be the first priority but they are very very dangerous indeed on the counter and for that reason I can't see us keeping a clean sheet (not that we have very often lately) and they will try to up the tempo so will need some calm heads to hold on to our patient game

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Would definitely start with Noone. Posh's full backs lack pace and are a liability. Perfect chance for him to shine and get his confidence up in front of his new admiring public.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wouldn't be surprised if Gus put Noone wide left, but Bennett tucked into the middle with Calde HARING up the right wing. So a lop-sided 4-4-2, but Calde making it a 3-5-2 when we've got the ball

This

Would definitely start with Noone. Posh's full backs lack pace and are a liability. Perfect chance for him to shine and get his confidence up in front of his new admiring public.

and THIS

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Would guess it's an oversight or there'd likely be a mention in the text as to why he isn't available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here