Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

See Insiders musings - cheltenham game

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
7:45 on a saturday night. 9th December

WHY??????

If this is something to do with park and Ride its crap.

Saturday night is Casualty and Parkinson Night FFS

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That is very bizarre! I am guessing it is due to Christmas shopping or something similar. Have we ever had a Staurday 7.45pm before???

PS Why would you want to watch an hour of Parky talking to himself when you could watch the Seagulls battling it out with the Robins?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It is due to the fact we cannot play Saturday 3pm games in December because of Christmas Shoppers.

From what I heard the Albion wanted on the Friday as they normally do for these home games in December, but Cheltenham refussed to play on Friday, hence it is now on the Saturday, with an evening kick.

Expect we will still be in the Sir Arthur at 11am.....:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
a day of christmas RUINING then

As the (former) council officer who started up the park and ride scheme at Withdean (long before anyone ever thought it would be a league football ground), can I throw some light on this?

For most of the year, the shoppers' park and ride service is quite a useful facility for people visiting Brighton. It's reasonably well used, but there is always the alternative of finding a (more expensive) parking space in central Brighton and doing your shopping that way.

But on the Saturdays before Christmas, park & ride at Withdean really comes into its own. Thousands of people use it - and the alternative of finding a parking space in the city centre simply wouldn't be available if there was no Withdean p&r.

That's why the council were adamant that football couldn't be permitted at Withdean on December Saturday afternoons. And that's why the planning permission for the Albion's use of Withdean came with a condition that enforces this.

In previous years, the opposition clubs have always co-operated with the Albion and December games were played on Friday nights. This year, I understand that Cheltenham were less than helpful. Hence the only option available to the Albion is the 7.45pm kick-off.

Wouldn't it have been easier to switch the home and away fixtures? Or play on Friday? Of course. But don't blame the Albion.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
To be fair to Cheltenham, we both have a game on the Tuesday night that week, whilst ours is at home they are away at Blackpool so probably didn't fancy another long midweek journey within the space of a few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here