Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second red card for Virgo. Is he useless?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is some shit posted about Virgo on this site, mostly clueless

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Perhaps If you went to games like today then you would have seen just how important Virgo was today in the heart of our defense. Sending off could not see it properly from our end but unlucky by all accounts. Virgo is a Brighton boy and always gives us his all. Deserves more respect.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I think he dives in because he knows once a player gets past him he's in trouble due to his lack of pace.

what is a experienced player then? Virgo has played championship and SPL football (including the Glasgow derby)

But wasn't Celtic buying Virgo a favour from Gordon Strachan to McGhee? Plus Virgo at the time hadn't been playing centre back. He'd been used up front where he'd been able to get a few goals for us making him a bit more versatile.

If Virgo is making challenges because of his lack of pace (and stupid ones at that), is it because he doesn't have a defenders brain, or he does but just doesn't know how to use it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Amazing. None of you were there, but he's been found guilty and convicted already.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Virgo made Beckford look piss poor , he had a really good game up until he was sent off. The ref made the correct decision. Kisnorbo only got a yellow but got away with with conceding even more free kicks without receiving a second yellow.

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
Virgo was having a great game, and was unlucky in being put in the position of having to make the challenge by an unnecessary throw out by Brezovan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Listening on the radio, it sounded like it was in a position - to the side of the pitch, a fair distance away from goal - where lunging in was unnecessary.

It doesn't undo his previous hard work, but it was a stupid thing to do, and to blame Brezovan for Virgo's unnecessary action is unfair. Yes Brezovan should have held on to the ball a bit longer, but it wasn't his fault Virgo jumped in putting the ref in a position to send him off.

Highamgull

Feb 26, 2009
Virgo was having a great game, and was unlucky in being put in the position of having to make the challenge by an unnecessary throw out by Brezovan.

Agreed about the game he was having - he hadn't put a foot wrong until then. There was nothing wrong with the throw out - it just wasn't strong enough forcing Virgo into a clumsy challenge which he had to make. The fact he got the red card was as much as a result of the reactions of the Leeds players as anything else.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I was there today, Virgo was immense.......

Until that ridiculous challenge, just watched it on BBC, yes Brez throw was ridiculous but there was no real danger and no need at all for Virgo to go in like that, freeze frame it and he canes him across the knees at point of impact, and if someone did that to us I would want them to go, no doubt about it. And watch AVs body language after it happened, he knew the game was up.

This is his one big weakness.... why do it at all? but why do it out there, with no threat/

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wasn't his last red card a needless lunge out on the line near the half-way line when there was no immediate danger?

Coca-Cola Kid

Feb 9, 2010
Total twat if you ask me. Costs us 2 valuable points. Could be the pivotal point in our road to avoid relegation (again!)

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Not worthy of a red, reaction got the decision. You must have missed that as well as a number of good performances recently being in Toronto.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Not worthy of a red, reaction got the decision. You must have missed that as well as a number of good performances recently being in Toronto.

I wasn't concerned about Virgo's performances as I know that he has been performing well now that he's settled back in his favoured centre-back role.

The problem I have is that if he appears to be good, then why does he seem to enjoy getting red cards for fun based on stupid and needless challenges on opponents. Does he not learn from previous mistakes? That's why I asked earlier whether it would be better for him to be partnered with an experienced defender who can nurture his talents rather than Elphick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here