Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] season ticket problems

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Each fan will have a cash balance on their account, reflecting how much has been paid to the club. Each time you go to a game, your personal cash balance will be reduced.

So, for games where you have opted out or lose in the ballot, you will not be charged.

Thank you, yes in a roundabout kind of way that’s what I meant. The converse is that if we win when entered in the ballot in the remaining 13 games, we will be charged (and money deducted from the cash balance) unless the ticket is resold on the exchange.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Thank you, yes in a roundabout kind of way that’s what I meant. The converse is that if we win when entered in the ballot in the remaining 13 games, we will be charged (and money deducted from the cash balance) unless the ticket is resold on the exchange.

Weird...I don't fancy going as Mid 50's, stents etc but not had Government letter...Will enter the ballot hoping I lose!

I know there's the ticket exchange, but i couldn't make the last Palace match and my ticket remained unsold, so wouldn't hold my breath...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
............not only that, we all know the club will bombard us with emails and other social media once they know what’s going on anyway.

The latest lockdown adjustments probably makes attending any games this year unlikely anyway - I’ve written off any likelihood of attending.

Correct. Club are already managing expectations as best can in an extraordinary situation. People need to be patient and when told, be exactly that: told! Not contest, moan or engage in what abouteries. It’s all about “we” not “me”!!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Many posters are forgetting these are govt requirements not the clubs. As was explained at the zoom meeting it is essential for track and trace to know exactly who is present.

While it is a whole different topic and debate this is the problem with the UK not having a national identity card. There is no single official way to prove you are who you say you are. Yes you can use passport or driving license but they are optional and not intended to be used to prove identity.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Weird...I don't fancy going as Mid 50's, stents etc but not had Government letter...Will enter the ballot hoping I lose!

I know there's the ticket exchange, but i couldn't make the last Palace match and my ticket remained unsold, so wouldn't hold my breath...

My wife and I went to the Palace game but, similar to you, our daughter couldn’t sell her ticket. By contrast, on the other occasions one or more of us could not attend we were able to resell. Palace was sold out but I guess there were just too many STH who could not go. It’s actually not quite the draw as a fixture that many people think. Not sure in any case whether any lessons can be learnt from resell probability last season when applied to this coming Covid affected/ attendance restricted season.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s not a T&C or a EPL rule, it is a criminal offence to transfer a football ticket unless authorised by the club (as is the case in 1901).

But what is 'law/requirement' supposed to deliver? My understanding is it is wrapped up between stopping touting and health and safety so sharing a ticket with a named partner(s) really should not be that difficult to put in place and in many respects improves on the current situation where Joe Bloggs might be in a seat when in fact club thinks its John Smith.

So it should be pretty straight forward for the club to implement a way to transfer your ticket, in an authorised way, for those that aren't able to attend matches in the current circumstances (as in someone might not be vulnerable themselves but may care for someone that is etc). Make sure the person receiving the season ticket is a member so their details are in the system etc. The club can do this for 1901 so should be able to do it for us plebs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Appreciate I'm not Bozza but, I believe they said at the forum that the point of opting out is to make sure you aren't included in the ballot for games you know you can't attend. This also avoids getting and paying for a ticket that you have to put on the exchange and may not sell.

With what will be a massively reduced capacity, there is no chance any tickets put on the exchange won't sell...................

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
With what will be a massively reduced capacity, there is no chance any tickets put on the exchange won't sell...................

I'm really not sure that's the case for a whole host of reasons but I'll name a couple below. It's also my hunch that the club are really unsure what demand will be like, which is why they seem to be quite restrictive with the opt-out rules.

1. The virus really takes hold in the Winter months which massively puts off a lot of people who would otherwise attend, either because they are vulnerable, live or interact with those who are vulnerable. Our transport system works against us here.

2. "Unattractive" games, particularly if they end up mid-week and/or on TV in the middle of Winter with shit weather forecast may prove to be a tough sell.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm really not sure that's the case for a whole host of reasons but I'll name a couple below. It's also my hunch that the club are really unsure what demand will be like, which is why they seem to be quite restrictive with the opt-out rules.

1. The virus really takes hold in the Winter months which massively puts off a lot of people who would otherwise attend, either because they are vulnerable, live or interact with those who are vulnerable. Our transport system works against us here.

2. "Unattractive" games, particularly if they end up mid-week and/or on TV in the middle of Winter with shit weather forecast may prove to be a tough sell.

We'll see - I can't see capacity being anything above even 10k for the forseeable future (and probably less) - so that's well below 50% of just STHs, let alone others that want to attend......

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Can we opt out of six games...leaving thirteen....perhaps win 4 out of 13 in Ballot....Put them on exchange...perhaps sell three out of the four. Therefore only lose cost of only one ticket.

If we do that will we still have season ticket for next season ?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can we opt out of six games...leaving thirteen....perhaps win 4 out of 13 in Ballot....Put them on exchange...perhaps sell three out of the four. Therefore only lose cost of only one ticket.

I got the impression that the club were pretty relaxed how many tickets you put on the exchange.

Could probably win every ballot and sell on the exchange if you don’t want to go.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I got the impression that the club were pretty relaxed how many tickets you put on the exchange.

Could probably win every ballot and sell on the exchange if you don’t want to go.

But will they take ticket away for next season as haven`t gone ?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
But will they take ticket away for next season as haven`t gone ?

Considering the circumstances and the fact they said “if you don’t want to go, put it on the exchange” I doubt there would be any punishment.

However, they need to make that very clear either way when the details are announced.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
- Fans will have to present photo ID that matches the name of their ticket (this was checked pretty thoroughly at the Chelsea fixture)
- Kids also have to show photo ID currently, but this looks like the area that could change. I guess this could permit some child ticket-sharing, although this won't be officially authorised.

They really need to stop checking kids' ID.

It's not always practical to take a passport (indeed, one of my kids is 'between passports') and a parent ends up carrying/showing ID, which is a faff/slow at the gates which creates a bottleneck.

No adult is sneaking in other people's kids (without one of their own children). And the adult STH is reasonable for the kids' behaviour whatever the name on the ticket.

As for asking kids to lift their masks to check the ID.... I mean, come on!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They really need to stop checking kids' ID.

It's not always practical to take a passport (indeed, one of my kids is 'between passports') and a parent ends up carrying/showing ID, which is a faff/slow at the gates which creates a bottleneck.

No adult is sneaking in other people's kids (without one of their own children). And the adult STH is reasonable for the kids' behaviour whatever the name on the ticket.

As for asking kids to lift their masks to check the ID.... I mean, come on!

There's a quote from Paul Barber somewhere or other that states that the club were feeding back to government on that very point, suggesting it wasn't the club's rule in the first place and there is acknowledgement that it is at best overly cumbersome and at worst a barrier to some attending games.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a quote from Paul Barber somewhere or other that states that the club were feeding back to government on that very point, suggesting it wasn't the club's rule in the first place and there is acknowledgement that it is at best overly cumbersome and at worst a barrier to some attending games.

Yep - he said it in one of his interviews after the Chelsea friendly and said it was one of the things they would be giving feedback to the Government on (the club didn’t have any choice....Govnt rules for the test event)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Actually, we already can't go to the first two home matches which are against Man U and Chelsea as any relaxation to allow fans to attend won't start till sometime in October at the very earliest. So the very first ballot won't be until the game on 17th October i.e. already down to 17 home matches with the option to opt out of 6, mean you could legitimately reduce potential attendances to 17 minus 6 i.e. 11. If you strike it lucky in around 25% of ballots to your suggested level of 4, that's only 7 left to put on the Exchange.

However the Government has already reduced test events to a max 1000 fans. If we do get to go to a game, there could be only 1000 seats in the ballot or 500 pairs in groups and it may not be till later than October if the Government reviews the position. All in all, I wouldn't worry about the club withdrawing season tickets for non-attendance. Paul Barber has made it very clear that the club has been moved by the support from fans throughout this difficult time and recognizes that many of those fans may not even get one match to attend by ballot. They are not going to pick off any season ticket holders, who have paid a lot of money upfront for tickets, and pull their season tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here